E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Picked up on Saturday

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2006, 12:29 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 520d SE - Jet Black - Advanced Air Con - Sports Suspension - Sports Steering Wheel - Extended Light Pack

Well, after what seemed like a very long wait, I finally collected my new E60 (520d) on Saturday, and I've been grinning like a Cheshire cat ever since!!

Coming from a /cough/ C-Class Merc /cough/ the 5-series immediately feels more composed, much better brakes, more direct steering, nice firm but composed ride quality (sports suspension, 17" RF tyres).

Suprisingly good economy so far too - 41.9mpg (only done about 200 miles though), when I filled it up after a gentle run down the A14 dual-carriageway the range showed 770miles!!

Downsides?

None for the car itself, but:

- It's been raining non-stop since I got it
- A lorry flicked up a stone and smashed the windscreen already
- Dealer forgot to order de-badge and fit non-smoker package (does anyone know if this can be done by the dealer or factory only?)

Anyway, chuffed to bits here, photos to follow as soon as the rain stops!

Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Senior Members

Congratulations; be sure to uplaod some pics of your new ride!

I don't know about the non-smoker package, but you can easily debadge with a little fishing wire or cotton thread and some WD40.

Old 05-22-2006, 12:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 550i White/Black, SMG, Sports Pkg, Comfort Access, Nav, HUD, Satellite Radio, Anthracite Maple Trim 2006 X5 3.0, Black/Black, Sports Pkg, Premium Pkg, Xenon Adaptive Headlight, NAV, Rear Climate Pkg, Anthracite Trim

Congrats on your new car sorry to hear about your windshield
Old 05-22-2006, 12:59 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Nohedes' post='285989' date='May 22 2006, 09:29 AM
Well, after what seemed like a very long wait, I finally collected my new E60 (520d) on Saturday, and I've been grinning like a Cheshire cat ever since!!

Coming from a /cough/ C-Class Merc /cough/ the 5-series immediately feels more composed, much better brakes, more direct steering, nice firm but composed ride quality (sports suspension, 17" RF tyres).

Suprisingly good economy so far too - 41.9mpg (only done about 200 miles though), when I filled it up after a gentle run down the A14 dual-carriageway the range showed 770miles!!

Downsides?

- Dealer forgot to order de-badge and fit non-smoker package (does anyone know if this can be done by the dealer or factory only?)

Congratulations! Enjoy!

I should be picking up my 520d in 4 weeks - the more the merrier eh?

After your dealers de-badge and non-smokers pack error I shall ring my dealer and make sure for myself. I've already told him I don't want any dealer stickers. The non smokers pack is a factory option to order but I think it should be easy for your dealer to sort out - remove rear door ashtrays, replace front ashtray with similar storage tray, insert bung into 12V power socket (you can flog the lighter on ebay!).

Please post further comments over the next few weeks which would help to keep me sane during my wait.
Old 05-22-2006, 01:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by brommy' post='285994' date='May 22 2006, 09:59 AM
Congratulations! Enjoy!

I should be picking up my 520d in 4 weeks - the more the merrier eh?

After your dealers de-badge and non-smokers pack error I shall ring my dealer and make sure for myself. I've already told him I don't want any dealer stickers. The non smokers pack is a factory option to order but I think it should be easy for your dealer to sort out - remove rear door ashtrays, replace front ashtray with similar storage tray, insert bung into 12V power socket (you can flog the lighter on ebay!).

Please post further comments over the next few weeks which would help to keep me sane during my wait.
Hmm...

I stand to be orrected but when I asked about the factory deletion of the smoker's pack, my dealer (possibly wrongly) said that it was not just a matter of replacing ashtrays. He said that all the cigatte lighter circuitry and socketry was not fitted - which of course means no obvios power outlets...

ABC
Old 05-22-2006, 01:33 AM
Members

My Ride: UK 2006 530D MSport. Auto, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, 172 19" Mixed Wheels, Visibility, Media Pack, Sun Protective Glass, Hi-Fi Speaker System, Heated Seats, Enhanced voice control, M Lip Spoiler.

Originally Posted by Nohedes' post='285989' date='May 22 2006, 09:29 AM

Downsides?

Sorry to hear about the windscreen...Same happened to me...I had the dealer order me a pukka BMW screen as replacement at it was fitted by RAC as dealer didn't do fittings... Just be sure u get a like for like screen...!
Old 05-22-2006, 01:49 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by spareone3' post='285999' date='May 22 2006, 10:33 AM
Sorry to hear about the windscreen...Same happened to me...I had the dealer order me a pukka BMW screen as replacement at it was fitted by RAC as dealer didn't do fittings... Just be sure u get a like for like screen...!
Hmmm... does the wiper rain sensor work with a non-BMW screen?

ABC
Old 05-22-2006, 01:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='286003' date='May 22 2006, 10:49 AM
Hmmm... does the wiper rain sensor work with a non-BMW screen? And of course the entire rear view mirror assembly is bonded in some way to the windscreen...

ABC
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 AM
Members

Originally Posted by aybeesea' post='285998' date='May 22 2006, 10:29 AM
Hmm...

I stand to be orrected but when I asked about the factory deletion of the smoker's pack, my dealer (possibly wrongly) said that it was not just a matter of replacing ashtrays. He said that all the cigatte lighter circuitry and socketry was not fitted - which of course means no obvios power outlets...

ABC
I hope this is wrong!

My decision whether to go for the non smokers pack was discussed on another forum and with my dealer. I was told that the power socket is still useable. I can't understand why they would bother installing the power socket and then not wirie it up.

Does anyone have experience of this matter?
Old 05-22-2006, 01:57 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 520d M-sport - Steptronic - Carbon Black - Auburn Leather - Mem Seat - Cup Holders - Nav Pro - Light Pack - Dim/folding mirrors - Adv Airco - PDC - Aux/in - Non-smoke pack - De-badged - Delivery Mar 31, 2006

Welcome to the club of 520d owners - you'll find that the non-smoking package can easily be retrofitted since it ony consists of a set of plastic covers instead of the cig lighters. Your dealer should be able to provide them at no additional cost.

Retrofitting the de-badge will be more problematic. Don't know if there are 2 wholes in the lid or if the badge is just glued to the lid.

Quick Reply: Picked up on Saturday