E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Picked up a CPO 2008 535i

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 10:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545i SMG, 35% Tint, LED Angel Eyes

I beg to differ. I haggled with the dealer to knock off $500 off the maintenance contract and got it OTD for $2k and I financed it. My 750i which had 34k miles, since then, had 2 brakes jobs, 2 oil changes, 2 sets of wiper blades, and a 60K mile check up. I am due for another brake service in the front in about 6k miles according to the i-drive.

As you may, may not know, a typical brake service costs 1k per axle at the dealer and about $700 at an indy shop. Even if you were to do the job your self, it would cost you $400+ in factory OEM parts! So figure if you drive 18k a year, that's almost a brake service every 18 months. What I am trying to say is that the maintenance contract will pay for itself with 2 brake services. An oil change for the 535 will run you $160-180 each time. And there will be about 4 in the life of the contract which is another $1k!

And you gotta remember, everything the BMW dealer touches, it's covered for 2 years/unlimited miles. Just my 2 cents...
Old 06-30-2011, 02:46 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I change my own brakes for around 400 and have a local shop do the oil for 20 bucks, I buy 8 quartz for 80 (100) total, and wipers take 1 min to swap out and are cheap. I just don't see the benefit personally paying 2300 for these services. Others who just want everything handled without worry of cost, I can see how this might benefit them. I would get an extended warranty over maintenance plan any day especially on a 535i in fear of a future turbo issue.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:25 AM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 535i

Originally Posted by BL 5
If you finance a minimum of $7500 through BMW Financial they will give you MPU (Maintenance Plan Upgrade), of 6yrs/100,000 no cost maintenance. My plan was to pay this $7500 off in one payment. The dealer asked me to make at least three payments, otherwise they get charged back $1800 on this. So they asked me to make 3-4 payments. You don't get 0.9 rate, mine was 3.74%, or about $12 / month interest on a 36 month loan. So MPU will end up costing me $36. Much better than $2295
I did the "finance @ 0.9%" but I've never heard of the "no cost maintenance". Can you link me to where BMW says this??

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I beg to differ. I haggled with the dealer to knock off $500 off the maintenance contract and got it OTD for $2k and I financed it. My 750i which had 34k miles, since then, had 2 brakes jobs, 2 oil changes, 2 sets of wiper blades, and a 60K mile check up. I am due for another brake service in the front in about 6k miles according to the i-drive. As you may, may not know, a typical brake service costs 1k per axle at the dealer and about $700 at an indy shop. Even if you were to do the job your self, it would cost you $400+ in factory OEM parts! So figure if you drive 18k a year, that's almost a brake service every 18 months. What I am trying to say is that the maintenance contract will pay for itself with 2 brake services. An oil change for the 535 will run you $160-180 each time. And there will be about 4 in the life of the contract which is another $1k! And you gotta remember, everything the BMW dealer touches, it's covered for 2 years/unlimited miles. Just my 2 cents...
To be honest, I see both sides of this argument... however, I feel like a lot of the people that get the extended maintenance just get lazy (they have every right to) and send the car in for any little thing (ie. wiper blades, oil change).

Originally Posted by Persian_535i
I change my own brakes for around 400 and have a local shop do the oil for 20 bucks, I buy 8 quartz for 80 (100) total, and wipers take 1 min to swap out and are cheap. I just don't see the benefit personally paying 2300 for these services. Others who just want everything handled without worry of cost, I can see how this might benefit them. I would get an extended warranty over maintenance plan any day especially on a 535i in fear of a future turbo issue.
May I ask why brakes cost you $400? Are you just replacing pads or is there more to it? Also, what oil do you use? $10/qt is an OK price for some oils (Eneos) but you can definitely go cheaper with Mobil 1 and the like. Even RP is cheaper than that.

My HPFP fears are covered with the CPO
Old 06-30-2011, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jmk
I did the "finance @ 0.9%" but I've never heard of the "no cost maintenance". Can you link me to where BMW says this??

To be honest, I see both sides of this argument... however, I feel like a lot of the people that get the extended maintenance just get lazy (they have every right to) and send the car in for any little thing (ie. wiper blades, oil change).

May I ask why brakes cost you $400? Are you just replacing pads or is there more to it? Also, what oil do you use? $10/qt is an OK price for some oils (Eneos) but you can definitely go cheaper with Mobil 1 and the like. Even RP is cheaper than that.

My HPFP fears are covered with the CPO
Depending on how often you change your brakes, if it is just pads you can do it for around $100-$150 yourself. If you replace the rotors every brake change then it is going to cost more obviously. The oil I use is the OEM BMW oil that I get from my local dealer, the guy sells it to me for either $8 or $10 a quart and it takes 8 quarts. A local oil change shop charges $20 to change oil using my own oil so it comes out to around $100 with OEM BMW oil.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:10 AM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

^ I think our cars only require 7 qts but thats not the point. Is OE BMW oil >> Amsoil or Eneos? Thats some expensive oil so I hope it is. How much is the OE filter?

New rotors every brake change?? WTF??
Old 06-30-2011, 09:40 AM
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: ///M5 BEAST
Model Year: 2006

pass on it. you can do the maintenance for far cheaper than $2300....especially if you do most of it yourself. if you dont, then just go to indy shops (rather than the dealer for small shit like oil changes/brakes/etc)
Old 06-30-2011, 03:25 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by toyota2bmw
I beg to differ. I haggled with the dealer to knock off $500 off the maintenance contract and got it OTD for $2k and I financed it. My 750i which had 34k miles, since then, had 2 brakes jobs, 2 oil changes, 2 sets of wiper blades, and a 60K mile check up. I am due for another brake service in the front in about 6k miles according to the i-drive.

As you may, may not know, a typical brake service costs 1k per axle at the dealer and about $700 at an indy shop. Even if you were to do the job your self, it would cost you $400+ in factory OEM parts! So figure if you drive 18k a year, that's almost a brake service every 18 months. What I am trying to say is that the maintenance contract will pay for itself with 2 brake services. An oil change for the 535 will run you $160-180 each time. And there will be about 4 in the life of the contract which is another $1k!

And you gotta remember, everything the BMW dealer touches, it's covered for 2 years/unlimited miles. Just my 2 cents...
It seems like service jobs should be cheaper in SoCal where you got tons of BMW dealers and more competition. Where I live, there's only 1 dealership and they charge $1278 for full front/rear pad/rotor brake replacement. Indy charges $1100. Oil changes from dealer are $95 with coupon, which they luckily send out right at the time when I need to change my oil. I think your estimates are a little expensive, esp for SoCal.

You can buy R1-Concepts front/rear pads + rotors for $400 + FREE s/h on Amazon and many other places, they even come with the brake sensors. Sometimes, R1 even runs 10% off coupon promos. They barely ended one this spring:

http://www.r1concept...ts-brake-parts/
Old 06-30-2011, 03:33 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by jmk
Picked up a CPO 2008 535i this past weekend.

The 4-yr factory warranty is up in August 2011 and the CPO warranty is up in August 2013.

They said I have the option of extending my "4-yr maintenance" warranty to match the CPO warranty (6-yr).

At the time, it was $2300+tax and I declined since I don't like to make decisions on the spot without doing my research first. They said I could opt in for this extension until my 4-yr factory warranty expires.

Whats your guys' take on this? I drive ~17k miles a year... 80% highway / 20% city. Live in Chicago, if that matters.
I"m curious to know how much too!
Old 06-30-2011, 04:02 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

I agree above, any warranty is expensive and then having to deal with the crap of them not paying. I thin your chances are better with BMW but they don't pay like the factory does or at least this is my take from what I've read on all the post when trying to decide for myself if I really should get one. My fear is that there could be one day where I wish I had taken it. But I guess it's like anything else if you take it you will probably never really have to use it and if if you don't you might say one day that you should have gotten it...
Old 06-30-2011, 07:13 PM
jmk
Members
Senior Members

Why are all of you replacing your rotors with the pads??

Quick Reply: Picked up a CPO 2008 535i