E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Phantom Trunk & Idrive Problems

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2005, 10:22 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 530 Jet Black, Black Int., Nav, Sat, Comfort Seats, Xenon.

Wednesday night, when I went to bed, I know my trunk was closed, the car locked, and the key in a secure place. Thursday morning, my trunk was wide open and the doors locked. Unfortunately, it had rained all night. The trunk was soaked.

I drove the car on thursday, no problems. On friday, after about an hour of driving, the Idrive went dead, radio dead, nav dead, SOS dead. It tried to reboot itself several times over the next hour, until it just finally died.

It is now Saturday, and no signs of life.

I have an appointment on Monday to bring the car in. I am concerned that the dealer will find water damage and blame me for this problem.

Is there a known problem with phantom trunk opening? Should I dry out the car as much as possible, and not mention the water in the trunk?

Any thoughts.

PS: about 6 months ago I had a similar problem with the radio, but it rebooted after about an hour and a half.

05 530 black/black nav/sat
Old 10-15-2005, 10:28 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Auto M Sport delivered 04/10/05, Carbon Black, Beige Ventilated Nasca Leather, Dark Poplar Wood, Media Pack - Sat Nav Pro, Bmw Assist, Bluetooth phone prep + telematics + snap in adapter for Nokia 6230i & 6 CD, Visibility Pack - bi-xenons, adaptive headlights and Headlight Wash, HUD, High Gloss Shadow Line, Extended Lights, HiFi System, Extended Voice, M Spoiler and Heated/ventilated f/seats. Chrome Grills. M Double Spoke 19" Mixed Wheels 172 with 245/35 front and 275/30 rear (Non-runflat continentals) Spare wheel and jack. Supaglass.

There's quite a few reports on here of the trunk opening on its own. 'Touch wood' it hasn't haeppened to me yet - but if you do a search you should be able to find the detail you want.
Old 10-15-2005, 12:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xiT, Silver Gray, Automatic, Navigation, Heads Up Display; Premium Package, Comfort Seats, Logic 7 Sound System 2003 M3, Dakar Yellow, SMG

Originally Posted by genaman' date='Oct 15 2005, 02:22 PM
Wednesday night, when I went to bed, I know my trunk was closed, the car locked, and the key in a secure place.? Thursday morning, my trunk was wide open and the doors locked.? Unfortunately, it had rained all night.? The trunk was soaked.

I drove the car on thursday, no problems.? On friday, after about an hour of driving, the Idrive went dead, radio dead, nav dead, SOS dead.? It tried to reboot itself several times over the next hour, until it just finally died.

I have an appointment on Monday to bring the car in.? I am concerned that the dealer will find water damage and blame me for this problem.?

Is there a known problem with phantom trunk opening?? Should I dry out the car as much as possible, and not mention the water in the trunk?

Any thoughts.?

PS: about 6 months ago I had a similar problem with the radio, but it rebooted after about an hour and a half.?

[snapback]184633[/snapback]
I have a similar problem with my 530xiT (E61) but have traced it to my unknowingly sqeezing the tailgate/trunk release button on the key. Your i drive, etc. problems may be due to shorting caused by the wet trunk.
Old 10-15-2005, 03:35 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by genaman' date='Oct 15 2005, 01:22 PM
Wednesday night, when I went to bed, I know my trunk was closed, the car locked, and the key in a secure place.? Thursday morning, my trunk was wide open and the doors locked.? Unfortunately, it had rained all night.? The trunk was soaked.

I would figure out if the trunk can be opened from inside your abode. And, I would assess the probability that you accidentally opened it.

I drove the car on thursday, no problems.? On friday, after about an hour of driving, the Idrive went dead, radio dead, nav dead, SOS dead.? It tried to reboot itself several times over the next hour, until it just finally died.

I have an appointment on Monday to bring the car in.? I am concerned that the dealer will find water damage and blame me for this problem.

I would tell the dealer exactly what happened. And, I would give "him" your assessed probability of having accidentally opened the trunk. I would want any trunk or trunk-related problems fixed under warranty. I might even want the trunk carpet replaced. Only very extreme circumstances warrant withholding information--lying by omission.

Is there a known problem with phantom trunk opening?? Should I dry out the car as much as possible, and not mention the water in the trunk?

Many have had phantom trunk openings. I had one. I am not sure if the dealers are at the point of acknowledging phantom openings.

There

Any thoughts.

There almost never is a good substitute for the truth--e.g., as in taking responsibility when warranted or owning up to the possibility. I think the dealer will come down in your favor unless you are quite certain that you accidentally opened the trunk.

PS: about 6 months ago I had a similar problem with the radio, but it rebooted after about an hour and a half.?

Old 10-15-2005, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530i 6 speed

I had my trunk open after work. My offcie is ~ 1000 ft from the car, no way I could have opened it.... Of course, thats what my dealer told me.
Old 10-15-2005, 06:31 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 Silver Gray 545i, Sport, Navigation, Steptronic, PDC, Windowshade, Bluetooth Paired with Treo 650, Huper Optik tint, Euro reflectors, Poplar Wood Gear Shift, Poplar Wood Console Cover

Originally Posted by genaman' date='Oct 15 2005, 01:22 PM

I have an appointment on Monday to bring the car in.? I am concerned that the dealer will find water damage and blame me for this problem.?

Any thoughts.?

There is (was) a problem with phantom openings. You should be able to do a search and find multiple people with the same problem (in fact I was one of them). The dealer fixed it with a software upgrade, but I do not recall the version. I had multiple occassions with the opening by itself and not one since the upgrade.
Old 10-15-2005, 07:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by derrickj' date='Oct 15 2005, 09:31 PM
[quote name='genaman' date='Oct 15 2005, 01:22 PM']Wednesday night, when I went to bed, I know my trunk was closed, the car locked, and the key in a secure place.? Thursday morning, my trunk was wide open and the doors locked.? Unfortunately, it had rained all night.? The trunk was soaked.

Any thoughts.?

There is (was) a problem with phantom openings. You should be able to do a search and find multiple people with the same problem (in fact I was one of them). The dealer fixed it with a software upgrade, but I do not recall the version. I had multiple occassions with the opening by itself and not one since the upgrade.
[snapback]184777[/snapback]
[/quote]

Man, what a double wammy. Depending on the dealer, the truth will set you free. They will see that the trunk will have water traces (if it is the water that cause the other malfunction).
Old 10-16-2005, 03:27 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' date='Oct 16 2005, 05:33 AM
[quote name='derrickj' date='Oct 15 2005, 09:31 PM'][quote name='genaman' date='Oct 15 2005, 01:22 PM']Wednesday night, when I went to bed, I know my trunk was closed, the car locked, and the key in a secure place.? Thursday morning, my trunk was wide open and the doors locked.? Unfortunately, it had rained all night.? The trunk was soaked.

car in.? I am concerned that the dealer will find water damage and blame me for this problem.?

Any thoughts.?

[snapback]184777[/snapback]
[/quote]

Man, what a double wammy. Depending on the dealer, the truth will set you free. They will see that the trunk will have water traces (if it is the water that cause the other malfunction).
[snapback]184790[/snapback]
[/quote]

It happened to me to but i had a lot of expenses with the car after the rain but it was covered under bmw waranty. About 4OOO dollars of equipment had to be replaced. Idrive cc computer, 4 switchboxes, the complete cables set running in the car from front to rear (had to wait 4 days for that it was not in stock)the dvd drive, cd drive ext....all was broken after the rain.

The problems occured 3 days after the rain or spilling of water in the trunk. I am not sure what caused it : the rain or the spilling, both things happened in 2 days time and the problem occured 3 days later) There was a hole burned into the cables connection box at the end of the cables. The water caused a short circuit in that part and upstream the cables all equipment was comprimmised and broken.
Old 10-16-2005, 06:48 AM
Members

My Ride: 05 530 Jet Black, Black Int., Nav, Sat, Comfort Seats, Xenon.

Well, I cleaned out the trunk last night. There was a green pond at the bottem of the wheel well, and at the bottom of the pond was a wire and a module seeping green fluid. I don't know what the module does, but I have to assume that it is the cause of all my problems.

What a stupid place to put a module. The bottom of the wheel well with no drainage?

PS: There is no way that the trunk was opened by my remote. It was spontaneous. I wil have to explain it to the dealer and hope for the best.
Old 10-16-2005, 07:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by genaman' date='Oct 16 2005, 04:48 PM
Well, I cleaned out the trunk last night.? There was a green pond at the bottem of the wheel well, and at the bottom of the pond was a wire and a module seeping green fluid.? I don't know what the module does, but I have to assume that it is the cause of all my problems.?

What a stupid place to put a module.? The bottom of the wheel well with no drainage?

PS: There is no way that the trunk was opened by my remote.? It was spontaneous. I wil have to explain it to the dealer and hope for the best.
[snapback]184896[/snapback]
Yes my module there was fucked up to. That was the cause; there was even a hole burned into that module connection box. Prepare for major damage. Hope you can enjoy the bmw waranty otherwise....... lots of dollars