E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Petrol in a Diesel

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-2007, 11:58 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='412114' date='Apr 10 2007, 12:40 PM
And that's just in 1 towing company...
16 towing services in Frankfurt...

My mate done this on a brand new land rover freelander a few months ago, he even drove it for 2 miles and then wounded why their was black smoke coming out.

We took it to side street garage and got it drained and then filled it back up with to correct stuff and all was fine.

Whats your status ?
Old 04-10-2007, 05:40 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='412114' date='Apr 11 2007, 01:40 AM
And that's just in 1 towing company...
16 towing services in Frankfurt...
you what be out of the job then
Old 04-11-2007, 02:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 02/05 E61 535D M SPORT - Silver Grey*Grey Dakota Leather*Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights * Professional Navigation System * Extended Voice Control * TV * Bluetooth With Telematics * BMW 6 CD Changer * STYLE 172 18" RIMS * Moonroof * Velour Mats * Dimming/ Folding Ext/Int Mirrors * Electric Heated Front Seats * Sports Seats * High Beam Assist * M Aerodynamic Pack * M Rear Spoiler * High Gloss Shadow Line * Sun Protection Glass * Anthracite Headlining * ISOFIX Package * Tracker Monitor * Top Tint Screen* IPOD MOST* DMS*

How's this for an update?

Filled the car up on Sat evening and drove a mile home. Sunday morning car won't start and a message comes up say faulty fuel pump hence my thought about putting petrol in.

I called BMW who came within an hour and explained what I thought I had done, and he took me back to garage where I filled up. I could confirm that I had filled up with BP Ultra Diesel as I remembered it was 99.9p/litre.

Back home car started first time for the engineer!! He put on his computer diagnostics and found a "CAN" fault which he logged into the car's computer and suggested I take it to dealer on Tues morning. After he left the car started but on Monday morning failed to start again. Called BMW who agreed to take car to dealer and fix me up with a courtesy car.

Spoke to garage this afternoon and they think it maybe a faulty "DNE" whatever that might be. Engineer has worked on it all afternoon.

Will keep you posted as to developments but jolly glad it turns out I didn't fill it with petrol. Has anyone else noticed how similar BP Ultra Petrol and Diesel pumps are?
Old 04-12-2007, 06:01 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 525d M-Sport Saloon M57N2 3.0d LCI EXTERIOR: Jet Black, ///M-Aerodynamic Bodystyling, ///M-Rear Spoiler, De-badged, Gradual Tint Windscreen, ///M-Double Spoke 172M 19" Alloy Wheels (with non-run flats & space saver spare wheel) & ///M-Sports Suspension; INTERIOR: ///M-Steering Wheel, Black Dakota Leather Heated Sports Seats with Electric Lumbar Supports, Brushed Aluminium Interior Trim & Anthracite Headlining.

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='412537' date='Apr 11 2007, 11:45 PM
Has anyone else noticed how similar BP Ultra Petrol and Diesel pumps are?
Yes I have to my cost. I ended up filling my last company car up with BP Ultimate Petrol instead of Ultimate Diesel - I brimmed it as well as I had a long motorway journey ahead. The tank was virtually empty as well before filling up. Anyway I managed a full 100 yards down the slip road before the car started to stutter before cutting out as I dipped the clutch to change gear.

At the end of the day it was a mistake I made, but the issue I have is that the pumps are very similar as you say and the signing at the particular garage I visited was not particularly clear - I went back to double check afterwards!

Oh well, the tank was drained and re-filled with Diesel and all was well for the following 10K miles - although I'm told Petrol going through a Diesel pump can effect and attack the internal rubber seals in the injection pump in the long run. You live and learn, I'm certainly much more careful now!
Old 04-12-2007, 08:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d SE E61 Touring 07 Lci Media Pack, DAB Radio, Visibility Pack, Comfort, Memory, Ventilated Seats, All round heated seats, Heated folding mirrors, Auto dip headlights, Dunlop Sp 9000 Non runflats... other stuff that ic ant remember Gone - 535d E60 Sport, Media, Visibilty, Heated Seats all round, Dunlop SP Sport 01 (no runflats), Heated Folding Mirrors, Comfort Screen...

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='412537' date='Apr 11 2007, 11:45 PM
Will keep you posted as to developments but jolly glad it turns out I didn't fill it with petrol. Has anyone else noticed how similar BP Ultra Petrol and Diesel pumps are?
I filled up a 1 week old 535d with Ultimate diesel because of the similar branding etc.... big bill (had driven 100yds)

Spoke to garage attendant who said they have 4/5 per week same problem with ultimate Uleaded instead of Diesel, so I created a stink with BP customer services who give them their due said they were aware of the confusion and were taking steps to change branding at pump.... and then sent me cheque to cover whole amount..... for once a big company acting responsibly

So if you want to put unleaded in a diesel use BP
Old 04-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Members

My Ride: BMW 520d SE, Jaguar X-Type 2.0d SE, Land Rover Freelaner 2.5 V6

Originally Posted by BMWMAP' post='412787' date='Apr 12 2007, 05:25 PM
I filled up a 1 week old 535d with Ultimate diesel because of the similar branding etc.... big bill (had driven 100yds)

Spoke to garage attendant who said they have 4/5 per week same problem with ultimate Uleaded instead of Diesel, so I created a stink with BP customer services who give them their due said they were aware of the confusion and were taking steps to change branding at pump.... and then sent me cheque to cover whole amount..... for once a big company acting responsibly

So if you want to put unleaded in a diesel use BP
Crikey

I wish I knew this before shelling out ?650.00 to jaguar last year after filling up my diesel X-Type with petrol (didnt even start the engine)
Old 04-12-2007, 02:09 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d M Sport, Silver-grey, Black Dakota, Media, Visibility, HUD, Foldy mirrors, Hot seats.

A colleague of mine did this in his x5, he rang bmw service as soon as he realised his error and they told him not to start the engine, the car was towed away, drained at the dealer and he got landed with a ?300 bill.

They were very specific about asking if the car had been started as this had warranty implications, they also claimed they could tell if the engine had been started even if he stated it hadn't.

Good luck with yours, hope there is no long term damage.
Old 04-13-2007, 05:58 AM
Members

My Ride: 02/05 E61 535D M SPORT - Silver Grey*Grey Dakota Leather*Bi Xenon Adaptive Headlights * Professional Navigation System * Extended Voice Control * TV * Bluetooth With Telematics * BMW 6 CD Changer * STYLE 172 18" RIMS * Moonroof * Velour Mats * Dimming/ Folding Ext/Int Mirrors * Electric Heated Front Seats * Sports Seats * High Beam Assist * M Aerodynamic Pack * M Rear Spoiler * High Gloss Shadow Line * Sun Protection Glass * Anthracite Headlining * ISOFIX Package * Tracker Monitor * Top Tint Screen* IPOD MOST* DMS*

It turns out the fuel pump fault is just part of a catastphic computer failure. 4 days to get new computer from Germany but better that than filling it with petrol.
Old 04-17-2007, 04:36 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Guy535d' post='413147' date='Apr 13 2007, 02:58 PM
It turns out the fuel pump fault is just part of a catastphic computer failure. 4 days to get new computer from Germany but better that than filling it with petrol.

Ouch - what's the loan car?
Old 04-17-2007, 05:45 AM
Members

We have a truly unremarkable Nissan - sorry not able to say which model as I've no idea and don't care. All I know is that I would never want to own one.

Even this now says it needs a service!!

Quick Reply: Petrol in a Diesel