E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Performance Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2006, 06:36 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='306419' date='Jul 3 2006, 01:11 PM
A bit of caution with turbo? By this what do you mean?
I for one know that diesels don't like particulary to be redlined, and nor the turbos that run them. I for one race the car from time to time (literally race) when traffic is minimum and the right competitors are there. Yesturday i got challanged by an EVO 9. So eeverytime i do it i give it full throttle. Sometimes i drift a bit, sometimes i do little burnouts.
I'm always carefull not to let the engine to loose temperature quickly when it was ran very hot, and i usually let it idle for 5 minutes or so before shutting the engine off. I know it's not good for turbos to cool down fast and the oil also.
Sometimes i drive it so hard that i simply try to do my very best of the best to keep the car neutral (swinging from understeer to oversteer). I like it when i acomplish that and still drive unbealiveably fast for the weight of the car. It feels it's on rails.
I dunno how much stress gets the steptronic gearbox, but i bealive it compes somehow better than if it were for a manual.
I just meant what you said - if you really gun a turbo you need to ease off a little bit at the end of the journey (or idle) just to let it calm down a bit before you switch off the engine.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:29 AM
Members

Originally Posted by windnsea00' post='305907' date='Jul 1 2006, 05:30 PM
BMW's are intended to be driven so as long as you properly maintain the car then don't worry about it. The engine/drivetrain (excluding automatic transmissions usually) will outlast the rest of the car. I've owned a few BMW's and never been shy on redlining the engine daily. Especially since it's only there for a quick second during shifts unlike Autobahn driving which can have the engine screaming for extended periods of time though it's built for that.
Any input on pushing Steptronics hard? I'm a little worried about the comment from "windnsea00" regarding auto trans above. This is my first experience with Step - I'm used to manual and have had no real problems pushing the trans hard for years. Now I have Steptronic on my 545i. Am I ok pushing it hard as well? Anyone know or have experience?
Old 07-03-2006, 07:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by VTec' post='306485' date='Jul 3 2006, 11:29 AM
Any input on pushing Steptronics hard? I'm a little worried about the comment from "windnsea00" regarding auto trans above. This is my first experience with Step - I'm used to manual and have had no real problems pushing the trans hard for years. Now I have Steptronic on my 545i. Am I ok pushing it hard as well? Anyone know or have experience?
I have only owned two auto BMWs and only one of those were a step so I don't really have that much experience with them. But, I would think a good sprint in a slush box BMW would be better on the transmission than a hot afternoon stuck in stop and go traffic.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:39 AM
Members

After switching to non run flat tires I dont push it anymore, car feels vobly a little so hopefuly I'll get used to that. Back when I had run flats I'd go into a turn faster.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:42 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='306489' date='Jul 3 2006, 06:39 PM
After switching to non run flat tires I dont push it anymore, car feels vobly a little so hopefuly I'll get used to that. Back when I had run flats I'd go into a turn faster.
This is news for me. You must run a 65 tire sidewall...
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='306491' date='Jul 3 2006, 11:42 AM
This is news for me. You must run a 65 tire sidewall...
Haa, how did you know?
Naa seriously its Pirelly pzero nero M+S all season tire with a good grip but mushy on 123 oem wheels.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:45 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='306467' date='Jul 3 2006, 05:36 PM
I just meant what you said - if you really gun a turbo you need to ease off a little bit at the end of the journey (or idle) just to let it calm down a bit before you switch off the engine.
And that's it right? Gentrly wram up (for any engine) and gently cool down. Other than that i dunno....what might upset a diesel turbo?!
Old 07-03-2006, 07:47 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by BMWN' post='306493' date='Jul 3 2006, 06:45 PM
Haa, how did you know?
Naa seriously its Pirelly pzero nero M+S all season tire with a good grip but mushy on 123 oem wheels.
Try maybe another tire. Michelin PS2 wich is a high performane summer tire....only good reviews for that tire.
Old 07-03-2006, 07:54 AM
Members

Originally Posted by BetterMakeWay' post='306496' date='Jul 3 2006, 11:47 AM
Try maybe another tire. Michelin PS2 wich is a high performane summer tire....only good reviews for that tire.
I'd give it a try if I'll go with 167 style wheels but to be honest car's supension is till soft for pushing it too hard especialy on fast long turns thats when you feel it. Going with only summer tires will complicate things switching wheels storing them naaa for now I just ride the car. Even my friends M3 felt soft in turns and needed some suspention mods before I could say yes now it matches the engine performance.
Old 07-03-2006, 08:01 AM
Members

Originally Posted by ImolaRedM' post='306488' date='Jul 3 2006, 10:35 AM
I have only owned two auto BMWs and only one of those were a step so I don't really have that much experience with them. But, I would think a good sprint in a slush box BMW would be better on the transmission than a hot afternoon stuck in stop and go traffic.
Thanks ImolaRedM. I'm sure that is true, but what about aggressive MANUAL upshifting and downshifting with Steptronic, somewhat mimicking aggressive manual trans work (except with the delay :thumbsdown: ).

I'm assuming SMG is "made" for this, but what about Steptronic?

Quick Reply: Performance Driving