E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Performance Driving

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2006, 03:53 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is my first BMW too, and I agree ...... its an ULTIMATE DRIVING MACHINE !!! ..... I thought 2.5 L will not give me that feel - but boy it goes to 200 in seconds .... which I tried twice on my way to work on a deserted road .... Maybe next car I need is M5.
Having said that its difficult to drive fast here in Australia as huge part of police budget is financed through speeding fines ... there are cameras everywhere .... on one freeway with a stretch of 60Ks there are eight cameras !!!!!!
Old 07-02-2006, 06:38 AM
Members

I've owned 2 M3's (E30 & E36) and am used to spirited driving and agree this is "one" of the reasons to own a BMW! This is my first experience with a 3800 pound BMW and also my first experience with Steptronic.

As you all know, the car feels MUCH lighter than it actually is, but the main thing is I never thought I would go other than manual transmission, but find myself actually enjoying the versatility of Steptronic.

My question is if anyone has any info on aggressive driving with Steptronic vs. Manual transmission? Does it need to be "babied" more, or will it hold up driving aggressive in manual mode & sport modes?
Old 07-02-2006, 08:14 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='306015' date='Jul 2 2006, 04:06 AM
Hey CVTBenhogan...

Where do you go to find twisties around Chicago? I grew up near Chicago (in the Fox River valley area) and I just wondered...

Cheers, Jon.

As my east coast friends chide me, Chicago is very flat. Here are couple of quick suggestions.

Fullersburg Woods (between Hinsdale and Oakbrook)
31st Oakbrook (just west and running next to 83)
95th just east of Archer (South of Lemont)

CVT Benhogan
Old 07-02-2006, 08:24 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Titanium Gray 550i, with sport, nav, HUD, Logic7, sat radio, cold weather, rear side airbags, rear seat heaters, and it goes like a bat outta hell!

Originally Posted by CVTBenhogan' post='305967' date='Jul 1 2006, 08:42 PM
This is my first BMW and its made me a better driver. One word, confidence. As good power and great steering adds up to more driving flexibility and you can't help but push the car. That said, I truly enjoy everything about the E60 but I'm mindful not to needlessly abuse it.

Watched F1 today and was inspired to go for a couple of fast drives in some nice twisties. Boy, its nice to have a BMW!

CVT Benhogan Another gushing post.
Gee Ken....too bad you don't like your car!!
Old 07-02-2006, 09:44 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2015 535D M Sport

Originally Posted by jmdhuse' post='306015' date='Jul 2 2006, 04:06 AM
Hey CVTBenhogan...

Where do you go to find twisties around Chicago? I grew up near Chicago (in the Fox River valley area) and I just wondered...

Cheers, Jon.
The "ravines" on Sheridan Road between Winnetka and Glencoe, I think. I used to take my Porsche 914 through them about 35 years ago. They are great when there's no traffic.
Old 07-03-2006, 01:15 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by nwilliams' post='305902' date='Jul 1 2006, 11:16 PM
One thing I've heard many times is cars like BMW, Porsche, Mercedes are built for performance driving. If the car is pushed (within reason) on a regular basis, this does not affect the car in a negative way possibly causing mechanical and other problems over time.
My last 7 cars have been BMW's and I have ragged each and every one at every possible opportunity.

The beauty of BMW is that they make comfortable family practical cars that also handle like a dream.

Anyone can have some fun (in safety) with a well balanced chassis and rear wheel drive.

I reckon I get the DCS to flash on almost every journey.
Old 07-03-2006, 02:03 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

i have a big question....

Given you really push the car to its limits on turns, rev the engine, and use engine braking alot like a racing car...
Does pushing the car to its limits cause any kind of hard damage or wear to the chasis, drivetrain, or mechanical parts..
and i dont mean brake pads, or ruber that may finish early. im saying damage that may cause the car to prematurely fail, cause big damage to big parts in the car..
Old 07-03-2006, 03:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by madoon' post='306398' date='Jul 3 2006, 11:03 AM
i have a big question....

Given you really push the car to its limits on turns, rev the engine, and use engine braking alot like a racing car...
Does pushing the car to its limits cause any kind of hard damage or wear to the chasis, drivetrain, or mechanical parts..
and i dont mean brake pads, or ruber that may finish early. im saying damage that may cause the car to prematurely fail, cause big damage to big parts in the car..
I think you have to exercise a little bit of caution with the turbo's in the diesel cars. Beyond that - these things are made to run hard.

I've only had one mechanical failure on all of my BMW's - valve spring on a 318 touring.

I spose things like shocks, springs and bushes will wear faster if you drive harder - but that's fair enough isn't it?
Old 07-03-2006, 04:00 AM
Members

My Ride: 1973 porsche 911, 32,000 miles,with all S options and leather sport seats. 2004 porsche GT3,white track car, 2003 porsche boxter "my wife's" 2004 3/4 ton suburban tow vehicle, 24' pace trailer, 2006 BMW530XI, black, auburn, also "my wife's" about to buy a BMW 550I,silver gray,

Fri. I attended a BMW DE ,and a guy was running a 545I step. The car looked fast and very flat on the corners, and left in auto, adjusted to the driving style very well. Did very good on a very twisty 2 mile road course.
Old 07-03-2006, 04:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by needforspeed' post='306413' date='Jul 3 2006, 02:30 PM
I think you have to exercise a little bit of caution with the turbo's in the diesel cars. Beyond that - these things are made to run hard.

I've only had one mechanical failure on all of my BMW's - valve spring on a 318 touring.

I spose things like shocks, springs and bushes will wear faster if you drive harder - but that's fair enough isn't it?
A bit of caution with turbo? By this what do you mean?
I for one know that diesels don't like particulary to be redlined, and nor the turbos that run them. I for one race the car from time to time (literally race) when traffic is minimum and the right competitors are there. Yesturday i got challanged by an EVO 9. So eeverytime i do it i give it full throttle. Sometimes i drift a bit, sometimes i do little burnouts.
I'm always carefull not to let the engine to loose temperature quickly when it was ran very hot, and i usually let it idle for 5 minutes or so before shutting the engine off. I know it's not good for turbos to cool down fast and the oil also.
Sometimes i drive it so hard that i simply try to do my very best of the best to keep the car neutral (swinging from understeer to oversteer). I like it when i acomplish that and still drive unbealiveably fast for the weight of the car. It feels it's on rails.
I dunno how much stress gets the steptronic gearbox, but i bealive it compes somehow better than if it were for a manual.

Quick Reply: Performance Driving