E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Peeling paint on window control panel & steering wheel

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2007 | 03:29 PM
Members

While the rep from BMWNA is still trying to contact a dealer closer to my work to see if they can make a courtesy replacement of peeling parts in my car, I called another dealer in the area they said they would be glad to replace ALL the peeling parts under warranty! So, guess, where I am taking my car...
It is really weird to see one dealer saying no, the other saying yes to the same request...
Old 10-11-2007 | 05:34 PM
Contributors

My Ride: (USA) 645Ci, Silver Gray, Chateau, Cold Weather PKG, Premium Sound PKG, Sport PKG, Step, NAV [Std Equip in 645], HUD, Satellite (SIRIUS) Radio, Aux Input, Bluetooth enabled using iPhone 3GS w/ adapter cradle - Build date - 01/05, Baby delivered 2/24/05

I've had some trim pieces replaced and others declined. It was a difference in SA and how each presented the case to BMWNA I believe.

As to SIBs on the subject: So far only found a 3 & 7 series

SI B51 21 07
Body Equipment October 2007
Technical Service

PERFORM THE PROCEDURE OUTLINED IN THIS SERVICE INFORMATION ON ALL AFFECTED VEHICLES BEFORE CUSTOMER DELIVERY OR THE NEXT TIME THEY ARE IN THE SHOP FOR MAINTENANCE OR REPAIRS.

SUBJECT
Service Action: Replace the Door Panel

MODEL
E65, E66 (7 Series)

SITUATION
A required hardening agent was not applied to the door panel. As a result, the surface finish could peel off the door panel.

CAUSE
An error in the manufacturing process of the door panel.

AFFECTED VEHICLES
This Service Action involves select E65 and E66 vehicles which were produced from 7/25/2007 to 7/27/2007.
-----------

SI B 51 18 06
Body Equipment May 2007
Technical Service

This Service Information bulletin supersedes S.I. B51 18 06 dated August 2006.

designates changes to this revision

SUBJECT
Interior Door Grab Handle Peeling

MODEL
E90, E91, E92, E93 (3 Series)

SITUATION
The painted surface finish on the interior door grab handle may peel off due to exposure to certain hand creams and sun-tanning lotions.

CORRECTION
On a customer complaint basis, the armrest (left-front door) or door panel (right-front and rear doors) should be replaced. The following procedure should only be carried out on the affected grab handle(s) which are confirmed to be peeling.

PROCEDURE
Left-front door grab handle:

Replace the armrest per repair instruction RA 51 41 081.

Right-front or rear door[s] grab handle:

Replace door panel in accordance with repair instruction RA 5141001 (front door) or RA 5142001 (rear doors).
Old 10-12-2007 | 12:12 PM
Members

Ok, just came back from my local dealer (those who said no before) and talked them into replacing the window switch panel which is peeling off badly... It is thanks to this forum have I been able to do that! And even though they said no to the temeperature dial (again, it would require replaceing the whole center unit, over $1K parts and labor), I am thankful for that.

I want to thank this forum for participation, geting me enough arguments to present to the dealer, and just for being out there... Dealers are aware of that!

- One, now happy, BMW driver
Old 10-13-2007 | 09:45 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 525i M Sport Automatic, M Sports Package, Bi-Xenons, Sunroof, Hot Climate Version, Navigation+TV, 18" Double Spoke 135M Alloys with Runflats, Anthracite Headliner, M Leather Steering Wheel. Through Load System, Hifi Loudspeaker System, Alu Cube Pure Interior Trim, Flashlight Cloth/Nappa Leather Sports Seats, M Sports Suspension

Same thing happend to my M Sports Steering wheel. Got annoyed with it, scraped the whole paintwork off where the peeling is at, the lower spokes and spray painted it silver to match the Alu Cube Pure interior trim.
Old 11-04-2007 | 07:39 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

I just had my Sport steering wheel insert and 2 door handles replaced on my X5, no questions asked.All pieces were showing wear marks. Only 40,000KM!!!!! Must be a faulty process for applying this dark covering on these surfaces.

Cheers
Old 11-08-2008 | 08:28 AM
Members

I thought this might have been a problem associated with my '05 touring having done 157k miles in 3 and a half years and was prepared to give BMW interior trim quality the benefit of the doubt, but it looks like I was wrong to!

The worst affected parts on mine are the window switch panel, the door pull and the steering column shroud. The steering wheel has a few tiny marks but I can live with them. If respraying these parts is an option, I might just give that a go if I can find the right paint.
Old 11-08-2008 | 09:29 AM
Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 525 xiA.

No peeling sofar in my 11/03 built ride. We e60 owners should not have this problem, but so sad if BMW has
let some of us down with such a basic quality issue

Hartsa
Old 11-08-2008 | 12:27 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545 BLK/BLK
Model Year: 2005

I just had mine replaced for free. My car is still under warranty. I just told them about it, and they replaced it no problem. it was only on the Driver's side window control switch.
Old 11-09-2008 | 05:22 AM
Members

I've also had several panels replaced for this problem, drivers side window switch, plate behind stereo volume knob.

No questions asked by dealer, in fact they acknowledged it was a common problem and fixed it right away. I do live in Fl...high humidity and heat.

I have some pealing going on now around the power seat controls so I'm hopeful they will replace these as well before my warranty expires.
Old 11-09-2008 | 01:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2007 Sapphire Black Metallic 525i. Beige Dakota Leather, Premium package, bluetooth, BMW Assist, Xenon adaptive lights, Sirius radio

Originally Posted by tonye60' post='342835' date='Oct 8 2006, 11:34 AM
it peeled of above my passanger window switch and the silver was coming of the gear stick
I started a lengthy post about this and got chastised by forum members because they thought I was the only one this happened to and I was also asking for everyone who had this problem to call BMW Customer Relations.
Please call- : 1-800-831-1117.
I have had 2 pieces on my steering wheel replaced 2 power window plates, 2 door pulls ( behind the wood) and the area surrounding the a/c controls. Everyone said I must be using hand cream or my fingernails are too long, or it is cologne. What it is is unacceptable plastics on a 50,000 dollar car.

Quick Reply: Peeling paint on window control panel & steering wheel