E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

PDC sensor

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2007, 08:44 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 530dA 3/2004

Sorry audience if this has been around earlier (I didn't find with googleing):
My E60 (12/2003) is dropping PDC out sensor by sensor.
I bought the car three weeks ago, and it was loaded with all newest s/w in it (bought from BMW Vertragsh?ndler).
Anyway: it worked a week 100% and then suddently two of mid rear pdc sensor react only items less than 10 cm from device. Now the same is starting to happen in front (right and second from right). Ok, the climate is getting colder, but this started in plus degrees, so the weather cannot be the problem.
My car has Europlus garantie (and the service time is reserved for those two), so it covers the most, but I like to know if this a known bug? in sensors, PDC box or even in s/w?
Should all the sensor replaced?
Old 01-24-2007, 08:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

I don't think this is anything common (at least I don't recall seeing anything about it) so you might want to have the car checked.

As far as weather, the only issue with PDC I've seen is when it's cold outside and the car was just washed. What seems to happen is that water gets into the sensor and freezes up. When that occurs, the sensor falsely shows an object very close to it (stays on full beep and full red on the iDrive screen).

Good luck...
Old 01-24-2007, 09:01 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Hello jaki

"My E60 (12/2003) is dropping PDC out sensor by sensor."

Interesting to hear that the PDC sensors do not like our climate

It looks like that you now have to test the Europlus garantie here in Finland.

Best of luck!

Where in Finland are you?
Old 01-24-2007, 10:18 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Ricracing' post='382818' date='Jan 24 2007, 01:01 PM
Hello jaki

"My E60 (12/2003) is dropping PDC out sensor by sensor."

Interesting to hear that the PDC sensors do not like our climate

It looks like that you now have to test the Europlus garantie here in Finland.

Best of luck!

Where in Finland are you?
I have had any problems with my previous E60, neither with E39, so I doubt the problem is in sensors at all. Anyway that is the problem with BMW Service, don't have any glue what Euro+ will think if other parts will be needed.
Climat: as I wrote, the problem started in plus degrees, so we cannot blaim the weather this time
Europlus: I have received the "work numer = lisence to bill" from Europlus office, so the rest will be easy.
I'm from Helsinki

Generally the PDC sensors are placed much worse than in E39. In that earlier model sensors were installed so. that water and snow didn't "hang" and stay in front of the surface. Like it does in E60.
Old 03-14-2007, 06:46 AM
Members

Hello All,

this is a great forum, thanks guys!

I must confirm that Finland is bad place for e60 pdc sensors. Somehow I managed to kill two pdc sensors after washing the car ..

I washed the car by hand on my yard and there was about +5C. I drove the car to my garage.. no problem. I didn't use the car for one day. On the second day it worked fine until I was making my third trip .. I got "PDC Failure" on i-drive. Diagnose: two rear pdc sensors dead... Two at the same time !!... is this possible ?

Is my car having a bad day... because of moisture from the rain, cold spring nights... or what ?

For winter time the rear design of e60 is problematic because the moisture coming out of exhaust is frozen on the pdc sensors.... At least my 530i makes big moisture cloud on winter and you know what happens... whole rear-end gets covered with ice. This didn't happen with e39 (exhaust was bent downwards)...
Old 03-14-2007, 11:30 AM
Members

Originally Posted by hillokone' post='402615' date='Mar 14 2007, 09:46 AM
I washed the car by hand on my yard and there was about +5C. I drove the car to my garage.. no problem. I didn't use the car for one day. On the second day it worked fine until I was making my third trip .. I got "PDC Failure" on i-drive. Diagnose: two rear pdc sensors dead... Two at the same time !!... is this possible ?

Is my car having a bad day... because of moisture from the rain, cold spring nights... or what ?
So, I'm not the onlyone. Anyway, my sensors are replaced and everything is ok.
Btw, I guess the reason for my PDC's died, was that my car was washed by professional car washer who used very high pressure water injection. Those they use in van & truck lines.. luckily they didn't rip off any paint...
Old 03-14-2007, 12:14 PM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW 530i 05 M-technic Silvergrey whith beige dakotaleather

My sensors back are also out of order after the last cold wheather
Old 03-15-2007, 12:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i SE Oct 03 (53 plate) 19" Alpina Classic rims

This may not be yur problem, but I had intermittant faults with my front pdc on my X5. It used to beep constantly when engaged (as if one of the sensors was faulty).
It turned out that the fault was due to the front number (licence) plate was not affixed correctly at the edges, this caused the plate to not follow the curve of the bumper. The edge of the plate was then blocking the signal from one of the sensors and creating the error.

Funnily enough the dealer didnt spot this and replaced a 'faulty' sensor, prior to me sussung the problem.
Old 03-15-2007, 12:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by diveleader' post='403189' date='Mar 15 2007, 10:27 PM
This may not be yur problem, but I had intermittant faults with my front pdc on my X5. It used to beep constantly when engaged (as if one of the sensors was faulty).
It turned out that the fault was due to the front number (licence) plate was not affixed correctly at the edges, this caused the plate to not follow the curve of the bumper. The edge of the plate was then blocking the signal from one of the sensors and creating the error.

Funnily enough the dealer didnt spot this and replaced a 'faulty' sensor, prior to me sussung the problem.

This licence plate excuse has nothing to do with the problem - nothing what so ever!

The sensors can't simply handle the dirt (sand, salt, snow etc. road dust), and there's lots of it around.
The rear of a E60 pics it up.

If someone can't handle the front edges of a E60, one should simply learn it,
but the rear parking vision is a bitch