E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

PDC, how irritating it can be

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2005, 10:55 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 BMW 545i, Silver Grey, Sport Package, R. Shades, Cold Pkg, Sat. Rad., Prem. Sound.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211179
My experience with PDC is great, when is red with continuous beeping it mean stop and when I go down and check I am like 2-3 inches away from the obstacle. When it red but not continuous beeping obstacle is 8-10 inches away.
Not curbs though and low flying objects though.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='211136
I just wish PDC were more accurate...or can it be adjusted by the dealer? I have a tight fit in my garage so when I pull in and start getting close to where I need to finally park, the Red and continuous warning lights and sounds go off yet I'm still a good 8-10" away from where I really need to be. I wish the a digital read out would also pop up for obsticles directly in front and behind and would be accurate to the last inch.
No one can be satisfied. Just be glad you have something to warning you so that you don't run over some kid's bike, scratch your car, and worst over some kid. It's take little effort to move your right hand from the shifter and press the "PDC" button. Really, it's about 6 inches from the shifter.
[/quote]B32, do you know a way to not have to use that annoying shifter? I've got to go forward sometimes. And, I am satisfied. Well, OK, I'd like at least 450 HP. Does my want qualify as dissatisfaction?
[/quote]
I'm working on that shifter problem. I can't believe that we are still shifting in 2005. The car should be able to read my mind even if I'm schizo at times. As for the 450 horses, someone's ahead of me in that department.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='211211
Originally Posted by AC_S5' post='211128' date='Dec 14 2005, 11:39 AM
My experience with PDC is great, when is red with continuous beeping it mean stop and when I go down and check I am like 2-3 inches away from the obstacle. When it red but not continuous beeping obstacle is 8-10 inches away.
Not curbs and low flying objects though.

Originally Posted by Bimmer32' post='211136
I just wish PDC were more accurate...or can it be adjusted by the dealer? I have a tight fit in my garage so when I pull in and start getting close to where I need to finally park, the Red and continuous warning lights and sounds go off yet I'm still a good 8-10" away from where I really need to be. I wish the a digital read out would also pop up for obsticles directly in front and behind and would be accurate to the last inch.
No one can be satisfied. Just be glad you have something to warning you so that you don't run over some kid's bike, scratch your car, and worst over some kid. It's take little effort to move your right hand from the shifter and press the "PDC" button. Really, it's about 6 inches from the shifter.
B32, do you know a way to not have to use that annoying shifter? I've got to go forward sometimes. And, I am satisfied. Well, OK, I'd like at least 450 HP. Does my want qualify as dissatisfaction?
[/quote]
I'm working on that shifter problem. I can't believe that we are still shifting in 2005. The car should be able to read my mind even if I'm schizo at times. As for the 450 horses, someone's ahead of me in that department.
[/quote]
Do you mean BMW and the M5? I am wanting a poor-man's M5--a 5-Series with something like a slightly bumped C6 Corvette engine--so let's say 425 HP.

I am watching the weather now. Stay inside in a small room away from the edges of your house. Put a mattress over you.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:25 AM
Members

My Ride: 525, Dec 2003, Silver Grey, Black Dakota Leather, Bluetooth, Satnav, 18'' Runflats, Sunroof, Folding mirrors, Automatic

Mine goes off after about 10 seconds when in Forward gear.

Has anyone else noticed that the warning tone comes from the speaker nearest the obstacle, eg if the front right sensor sees something then the tone comes out of the front right speaker etc. Must be useful for blind drivers!.
Old 12-14-2005, 11:34 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by BMWJIMT' post='211240' date='Dec 14 2005, 03:25 PM
Mine goes off after about 10 seconds when in Forward gear.

Has anyone else noticed that the warning tone comes from the speaker nearest the obstacle, eg if the front right sensor sees something then the tone comes out of the front right speaker etc. Must be useful for blind drivers!.
I am not blind, and it is useful to me. I can always tell which speaker wakes me up when driving. But, I turned the max speed warning off so it would not awaken me.
Old 12-14-2005, 01:16 PM
Members

My Ride: Titanium Silver 2004 525i, style 116 alloys,

PDC is the best!
I feel uncomfortable when I'm manouevering any car without it
Old 12-14-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Now Driving a Freakin' Prius! Was... 2004 545i | SMG | White/Black | Sport | NAV | Logic 7 | PDC | Fold-down Seats | Adaptive Headlights | Cold Weather Pkg | Clear-again Bra | Mud Flaps | Bluetooth | Coat Hangar | Aux Input | All Weather Mats | 18"X8.5" BBS RK w/ Michelin Pilot Alpin's (winter) | New steering rack @ 1.2K & 17K miles| Software V.19.1 | B&B Exhaust (vrrrroooooommm!) <---Click.

Originally Posted by vnod' post='211085
I agree, and I wish it would let me know how far I am from curbs.
[/quote]
Maybe "curb feelers" will be making a comeback!
Old 12-15-2005, 06:44 AM
Members

I just love PDC!

Ven is red and beep is continous i'm aproximetly 20cm away (7-8 inch). Ifound that wery useful.

When I go to N , the monitor stays on as long you wish, but when you put in D and start moving it goes away in cca 10sec.

For first two months it was irritating for me to, but now I'm very satisfied
Old 12-15-2005, 11:41 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

The only time PDC bothers me is when I blow a parallel park and have to go back an forward a couple of times. In an earlier discussion, someone had the idea that BMW should make it so that we are able to program one of the stearing wheel buttons to active/deactiate PDC and I still think that was a good idea.
Old 12-15-2005, 11:51 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='211467
Originally Posted by Heloha' post='211082' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:21 AM
[/quote]OK, but I want white sidewalls too.
Old 12-15-2005, 01:17 PM
Members

My Ride: '05 545i(Build 10/04)(SMG)Sport,BlkSapphire,Blk,Anthricite,Logic7,CWP,Comfort Seats,Nav,RearBags,Shades,Sirius,Heated/SplitFoldingRearSeats; '18 540i xDrive, White/Mocha, CWP, DAP, DAP+, Lux. Pkg, Prem. Pkg., Executive Pkg., Luxury Seating Pkg
Model Year: 2005,2018

Originally Posted by realtyman' post='211467
Originally Posted by Heloha' post='211082' date='Dec 14 2005, 10:21 AM
[/quote]

You stole my line!

Joe