E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint system malfunction - Seat Mat Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2009, 08:20 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

Whoever is experiencing this issue, i strongly suggest you to call BMW. This is a safety issue. If you have someone sitting in the passenger seat, and you are in an accident, god forbid, passenger airbag WILL NOT deploy. In my call to BMWNA two days ago, i mentioned this, and was promised to be called back about this. No call yet, so if they dont call by Friday, i will call them myself again.

I have a feeling that BMW will fix all of our cars with this problem because this issue is not a joke. Seriously, if there is an accident with a vehicle affected by this, good lawyer will prove that BMW is 100% liable (at least for the passenger)

Anyways, again, anyone with this issue, please call your BMW local number and tell them that your vehicle experiences this same issue.

If its related to something else, like a battery cable, which i seriously doubt, and you are out of warranty, then whatthehell, we'll pay to get it fixed, or some portion of it if we're lucky.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i sport package,acs wing,adaptive xenon headlights,

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='801856' date='Feb 25 2009, 09:20 PM
Whoever is experiencing this issue, i strongly suggest you to call BMW. This is a safety issue. If you have someone sitting in the passenger seat, and you are in an accident, god forbid, passenger airbag WILL NOT deploy. In my call to BMWNA two days ago, i mentioned this, and was promised to be called back about this. No call yet, so if they dont call by Friday, i will call them myself again.

I have a feeling that BMW will fix all of our cars with this problem because this issue is not a joke. Seriously, if there is an accident with a vehicle affected by this, good lawyer will prove that BMW is 100% liable (at least for the passenger)

Anyways, again, anyone with this issue, please call your BMW local number and tell them that your vehicle experiences this same issue.

If its related to something else, like a battery cable, which i seriously doubt, and you are out of warranty, then whatthehell, we'll pay to get it fixed, or some portion of it if we're lucky.

will surely give them a call. dont really want to spend money for someone else fault where it could go to my upgrade funds.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:40 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i sport package,acs wing,adaptive xenon headlights,

went to bmwna.com and found this.

BMW will begin sending customer letters in late September 2008. Affected owners may continue to drive their vehicles; however, customers should contact their BMW Center if the air bag warning lamp, and the passenger air bag ''on-off'' lamp are illuminated simultaneously. In this situation, BMW recommends customers not to use the front passenger seat and have the vehicle serviced immediately. At the present time, we are unaware of any accidents or injuries as a result of this issue.

it says here " if the air bag warning lamp, and the passenger air bag ''on-off'' lamp are illuminated simultaneously". i just remembered that everytime i have somebody in the pass seat the passenger air bag on-off lamp turns off... could it be that i have a diff prob like the battery cable thing???
Old 02-26-2009, 01:46 PM
Senior Members

2nd UPDATE:

I took my car to Sterling today for this problem and in fact it is the seat mat the needs to be replaced and BMW NA will pick up the tab for this !
I called BMW NA on Moday and they were only able to speak to my SA yesterday and they coordinated to fix this at no expense for me other than the diagnose fee which they worked out a deal of only $70, instead of the full hour of $140.
I'm supposed to pick up my car tonight after they reprogram it - i'll post an update tonight and see how it goes.
I'm out of warranty and Sterling gave me an free rental which i wasn't expecting, very cool of them.
As Gvolkov said, i strongly urge E60 memebers to take care of this if you're having this problem.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:06 PM
Members

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='802495' date='Feb 26 2009, 04:46 PM
2nd UPDATE:

I took my car to Sterling today for this problem and in fact it is the seat mat the needs to be replaced and BMW NA will pick up the tab for this !
I called BMW NA on Moday and they were only able to speak to my SA yesterday and they coordinated to fix this at no expense for me other than the diagnose fee which they worked out a deal of only $70, instead of the full hour of $140.
I'm supposed to pick up my car tonight after they reprogram it - i'll post an update tonight and see how it goes.
I'm out of warranty and Sterling gave me an free rental which i wasn't expecting, very cool of them.
As Gvolkov said, i strongly urge E60 memebers to take care of this if you're having this problem.
They charged you for diagnosis fee? I just had my car fixed for the same issue a couple weeks ago and was told that I only pay the diagnosis fee IF the problem is not related to the recall. But since the problem was related to the recall then I didn't pay anything and they gave me a brand new 528i loaner car (100 miles).
Old 02-26-2009, 08:02 PM
Members

My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

Originally Posted by Thirdy' post='802510' date='Feb 26 2009, 06:06 PM
They charged you for diagnosis fee? I just had my car fixed for the same issue a couple weeks ago and was told that I only pay the diagnosis fee IF the problem is not related to the recall. But since the problem was related to the recall then I didn't pay anything and they gave me a brand new 528i loaner car (100 miles).
Yours probably fell into the originally recalled vin numbers. See you didnt have to fight your rights. We, who are not on list of affected vin numbers have to bitch and moan to get this fixed for free. Or for $70 dollars (half of diagnostic fee)

Yet another day passed and i didnt hear from BMW. I will call them tomorrow morning when i get a chance.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:50 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='802775' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:02 AM
Yours probably fell into the originally recalled vin numbers. See you didnt have to fight your rights. We, who are not on list of affected vin numbers have to bitch and moan to get this fixed for free. Or for $70 dollars (half of diagnostic fee)

Yet another day passed and i didnt hear from BMW. I will call them tomorrow morning when i get a chance.
When i originally took my car to the dealer they put my key in that little machine and the SA told me my car wasn't in the list of the recalls....i called BMW NA told me the same thing but i didn't take no as an aswer from them.
Went to pick up my car last night and everything is back to normal...no charge at all, not even the diagnose fee which i was willing to pay. The floor mat has warranty for 2 yrs.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:44 AM
Members

just bought my e60 cuple weeks ago light came on took it to dealer (i liv in canada and my cars a US car) they fixed for free! even tho i bought it private 04 530i!!!
Old 02-27-2009, 09:22 AM
Contributors

im going to the dealer on monday my car is out of warranty lets see what they have to say on this
Old 02-27-2009, 09:55 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by mikeg3tsguap' post='803153' date='Feb 27 2009, 01:22 PM
im going to the dealer on monday my car is out of warranty lets see what they have to say on this
cool front plate !!!
if they say ur VIN isn't in the recall, get a hold of BMW NA (800-831-1117) and don't take no for an answer.
I took my car in for this and i'm also out of warranty and BMW NA picked up the tab.

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint system malfunction - Seat Mat Replacement?