E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint system malfunction - Seat Mat Replacement?

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 12:58 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 525i - mo mods...just got it

My 2005 E60 shows me this service message: Passenger Restraint System Malfunction. Continue wearing your seatbelt, and take your car to the nearest bmw dealer. So i did, and they connected the car to the computer ($105) , and told me that i need a new seat mat ($460).

So i want to try and fix it before spending $460 on a new part. Do you guys think this part is fixable? Perhaps some fat slob was sitting in the car and broke the sensor

If anyone had this issue before, what did you do? Maybe there are some instructions on taking it apart? Oh, back when i had E36, i downloaded a service manual, but cannot find a service manual for my E60 now. If anyone has one and doesnt mind to share, please let me know.
Old 02-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='798961' date='Feb 22 2009, 04:58 PM
My 2005 E60 shows me this service message: Passenger Restraint System Malfunction. Continue wearing your seatbelt, and take your car to the nearest bmw dealer. So i did, and they connected the car to the computer ($105) , and told me that i need a new seat mat ($460).

So i want to try and fix it before spending $460 on a new part. Do you guys think this part is fixable? Perhaps some fat slob was sitting in the car and broke the sensor

If anyone had this issue before, what did you do? Maybe there are some instructions on taking it apart? Oh, back when i had E36, i downloaded a service manual, but cannot find a service manual for my E60 now. If anyone has one and doesnt mind to share, please let me know.
This recall has been published before : http://www.bmwusa.com/Standard/Content/Con...taryRecall.aspx
Old 02-22-2009, 01:06 PM
Members

WOW - So when i went to the dealership to check it out, they really should have told me about this... Right? Does voluntary recall mean BMW will replace it free of charge?
Old 02-22-2009, 01:21 PM
Contributors

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='798969' date='Feb 22 2009, 05:06 PM
WOW - So when i went to the dealership to check it out, they really should have told me about this... Right? Does voluntary recall mean BMW will replace it free of charge?
That's generally the case in the event of a recall. If your dealer declines to correct this safety issue contact BMWNA Customer Relations:

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Content/Form...YjGMFX7pJHswQ==

BMWNA Representatives frequently monitor this forum.
Old 02-23-2009, 05:11 AM
Members

Originally Posted by luigi524td' post='798985' date='Feb 22 2009, 06:21 PM
That's generally the case in the event of a recall. If your dealer declines to correct this safety issue contact BMWNA Customer Relations:

https://www.bmwusa.com/Secured/Content/Form...YjGMFX7pJHswQ==

BMWNA Representatives frequently monitor this forum.

I have the same problem with my 04 530i. It falls within the year and model for the recall. But Somehow BMW NA does not have my VIN number on their list. Even though i am having the exact issue the recall is for. Good Luck man. Let us know how it turns out.
Old 02-24-2009, 01:20 AM
Members

My Ride: 04 530i sport package,acs wing,adaptive xenon headlights,

have the same problem here too. went to the dealer and told them about my problem about the airbags even told them about the recall. they told me that my car is not part of it. i have 04 530i so i dont understand why they wont fix it. is there a way of knowing if your car is part of the recall?
Old 02-24-2009, 04:49 AM
Members

So i went to the dealership, and they told me that the vehicle didnt fall into the range of vin numbers that are under recall.

So my next step is to call BMWNA Customer Relations and talk to them. They open at 9AM Eastern Time. This is clearly the same issue described under recall article. The fact that our numbers arent on the 'list' is normal i think. If we complain enough, they will know that other numbers may be affected too. Just look, we already have like 3.

I will let you know how it turns out.
Old 02-24-2009, 07:23 AM
Members

I spoke to Customer Relations today, and they advised me again that my vehicle is not part of the recall. So i said: "if i was in the accident today, and someone was in the passenger seat, airbag would not deploy, right?". At that time the representative told me to hang on, when he came back on, he politely asked if he can call me back.
I am now waiting for BMWNA CR to call me back. Will keep you posted.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:10 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by gvolkov' post='800275' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:23 AM
I spoke to Customer Relations today, and they advised me again that my vehicle is not part of the recall. So i said: "if i was in the accident today, and someone was in the passenger seat, airbag would not deploy, right?". At that time the representative told me to hang on, when he came back on, he politely asked if he can call me back.
I am now waiting for BMWNA CR to call me back. Will keep you posted.
I'm on the same boat as all of you are...my pass rest systm came up on my idrive and airbag and sealbelt lights are on in my dash. I went to Crevier and they said since i'm out of warranty i was pretty much SOL (SA was sort of a ass!) so i went to Sterling NB and the SA was helpfull enough to tell me what it could be and since my VIN is not a recall to contact BMW NA. I did that yesterday to see if could have the dealership bill BMW NA. I'm still waiting for their call back since i made the appointment for Thursday to take my car in, so i hope to get an answer today or tomorrow.
I wonder if anyone has actually received a recall letter about this??
Old 02-24-2009, 11:30 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by MacoBMW4life' post='800425' date='Feb 24 2009, 11:10 AM
I'm on the same boat as all of you are...my pass rest systm came up on my idrive and airbag and sealbelt lights are on in my dash. I went to Crevier and they said since i'm out of warranty i was pretty much SOL (SA was sort of a ass!) so i went to Sterling NB and the SA was helpfull enough to tell me what it could be and since my VIN is not a recall to contact BMW NA. I did that yesterday to see if could have the dealership bill BMW NA. I'm still waiting for their call back since i made the appointment for Thursday to take my car in, so i hope to get an answer today or tomorrow.
I wonder if anyone has actually received a recall letter about this??
I had the same light came up about a couple of months ago and I brought it to the dealer still under warranty. But they said my car is not the one under recall and resolved it to be caused by a bad battery cable which was replaced.
I called the BMWNA and was given the same answer that not under recall.
I have not seen the light so far again.

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint system malfunction - Seat Mat Replacement?