E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint System Error - Airbag Control Module? Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2013 | 07:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

I got my diagnostic kit from eBay. I'll get the seller name as soon as I get a chance.
If you are going to check on harness connections, I would advise to first disconnect the battery. That way you won't introduce other errors to the system.
Old 04-17-2013 | 08:11 AM
Members

I have the same error. I had it for awhile and INPA was showing a 93c3 which meant the mat sensor. I bought a bypass and it worked for a few days but 2 days ago I got the same Passenger Restraint Malfunction message. Now IMPA is showing 93a8 error. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it? I tried clearing the code but it comes back within seconds. I tried unplugging the bypass and both errors pop up.
Old 04-17-2013 | 09:00 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by ldesouza
I have the same error. I had it for awhile and INPA was showing a 93c3 which meant the mat sensor. I bought a bypass and it worked for a few days but 2 days ago I got the same Passenger Restraint Malfunction message. Now IMPA is showing 93a8 error. Anyone know what this is and how to fix it? I tried clearing the code but it comes back within seconds. I tried unplugging the bypass and both errors pop up.
Not sure but I found and took a quick look at this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...nction-123382/

Driver steering wheel airbag??? That would seriously suck if it is.
Old 04-17-2013 | 11:37 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i N52
Engine: n52

this SXXT NEVER FUXXXNG END...
THIS IS the only reason i hate me car
Old 04-17-2013 | 12:10 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by balbs
Not sure but I found and took a quick look at this thread:

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...nction-123382/

Driver steering wheel airbag??? That would seriously suck if it is.
Okay, so he totalled his car and looks like the steering wheel airbag went off..See post #43

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...5/#post1458808
Old 04-17-2013 | 01:30 PM
Members

Okay, so he totalled his car and looks like the steering wheel airbag went off..See post #43

https://5series.net/forums/e60-discu...5/#post1458808
Sucks about his car but its a good thing it deployed.

I did have to remove the steering wheel and airbag about 2 weeks ago to get to the steering angle sensor. Maybe something wasn't plugged in fully, Ill take it apart and inspect it once I have time. Im hoping its an easy fix as I hate those lights on the dash. Thank you for your help!
Old 04-17-2013 | 02:30 PM
New Members

Thanks balbs! Let me know that seller's name when you get it.

I can't believe there's a real life example of Ricapar having the error and then crashing, so we can see if his airbags deployed.. Unfortunately, just for our example, he goes on to say that the he was able to clear the error message on the 2nd try:

"To answer that question - the passenger airbags did not deploy. However, there was no passenger either.
I had fixed that issue a while back by resetting the codes in the computer. Usually when something is a completely legitimate issue, the codes come back right away. When I cleared the passenger restraint codes the second time, they never came back."
Old 04-17-2013 | 02:35 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Jayarr85
Thanks balbs! Let me know that seller's name when you get it.

I can't believe there's a real life example of Ricapar having the error and then crashing, so we can see if his airbags deployed.. Unfortunately, just for our example, he goes on to say that the he was able to clear the error message on the 2nd try:

"To answer that question - the passenger airbags did not deploy. However, there was no passenger either.
I had fixed that issue a while back by resetting the codes in the computer. Usually when something is a completely legitimate issue, the codes come back right away. When I cleared the passenger restraint codes the second time, they never came back."
I got mine from an ebay member called moneymakingmonkey...However I don't see him anymore. However, if you go to bmwcoding.com, the members there could refer you.
Old 04-23-2013 | 04:40 PM
Members

So I checked my car today and I truly believe it's bipolar. Ive went from the 93c3 error to 93a8 to now 93b4........ Anyone know what this error is?
Old 04-23-2013 | 11:55 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

I got mine from an ebay member called moneymakingmonkey...However I don't see him anymore. However, if you go to bmwcoding.com, the members there could refer you.
You know that's funny. I got mine from the same seller initially. MANY years ago. But then i needed updated cable and so forth to work with my 2000 E39 as well as a friend's 09 E90. And I couldn't find that seller. I looked at my feedback for dates and found that it was changed to EUAUTOHAUS. So I contact that seller and he informed me that they just started on ebay and used an old ID. So I bought the other kit. I'm happy because programming things myself made it so much easier on the wallet. Now I never have to spend a dime.

OP - If you're still having this trouble clear the codes, see if they come back. If they don't then no big deal. IF they do ask yourself the following:

When did this start?
What changed?
Is it intermittent?
What are the codes?

These will help you chase down the reason quickly because it's simply restraint system. It's tied only to two modules. You can either fix the physical issue or you can logically code the errors out. Coding the errors out just means it will not show the error. By default they will still deploy because there is redundancy.

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint System Error - Airbag Control Module? Plz help