E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Restraint System Error - Airbag Control Module? Plz help

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-2013, 01:06 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Passenger Restraint System Error - Airbag Control Module? Plz help

Hey guys-

I know there are a myriad of problems causing the Passenger Restraint System error to go off on our e60's. I actually had the dealer investigate mine, and my service rep said the "airbag control module is faulted". Then he gave me these codes:

• 93D7
  • 93AC

They want to charge me $1,100 to fix it. Money I don't have, nor would I like to pay.

I'm looking for some help here...

Does anyone know how dangerous this is? Are my passengers at risk of the airbag not deploying in an accident? Or at risk of it accidentally deploying for no reason?

Any way to fix this outside of the stealership's prices?

I've spent some time researching, with little help.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:10 PM
New Members

It might help to know how the error was caused.

I took it to a near-by hand car wash, assembly line type set up. I've been there at least a dozen times. This time, I got out of the car, and when I got it back 10 mins later, the error was there.

They do move the seats up and down, and clean every crevice. Is it possible they shifted a sensor or unplugged something?
Old 04-16-2013, 02:07 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

Dealers lol. Car was place probably did mess up something. Get some tools, clear the errors and see if they come back. I loaned one of my cars to a friend not too long ago. I had the passenger seat out to fix one of 6 motors. I put seat in and he picked up car. The airbag light was on naturally. i didn't have time to clear it. So he's with his wife and she's all concerned so he takes my car to dealer to have them diagnose/fix it. They said same thing and quoted a high price like that. When i got back in town I cleared it and he was surprised. I started laughing and gave him back the keys. Get yourself a set of BMW software tools so you can diagnose and fix your own problems.
Old 04-16-2013, 02:40 PM
New Members

So you think it came on by accident and just clearing it is safe?

I love the idea, and really appreciate the help. My only concern is there really is an issue with the airbag system. This is the one and only time I've actually been concerned about a car repair. I've driven in cars that need much more work than this, for months on end. But I feel like this is a computer issue combined with a legitimate safety issue. And I've had the car for f*cking 3 months.

Does knowing the codes help now or will the software tool give me more information than just the codes?

(Again I really appreciate the help)
Old 04-16-2013, 04:19 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Clearing the codes won't hurt anything. It's a good troubleshooting to let you know if the problem was some fluke (if the errors don't come back) or something that should get fixed (if the errors come back).
Old 04-16-2013, 05:11 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 07 550i Sports Package
Model Year: 2007

Clearing the codes is the first step in diagnosing these cars with so much software. If you plan on keeping this car for awhile you need to invest in your own diagnosis tool. BMW standard tools won't cost you anything except for the Connector.
Old 04-16-2013, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
My Ride: E60 530i

you feel this way probably because you're intimidated by BMW and the dealer and price tag probably has a lot to do with that. don't feel this way, their whole plan is to make you feel this way so they can take you on a long ride of stealing your money and treating you like a king in the process while taming your mind for brand loyalty.
Think of it this way. I break something for you or make it easily breakable. I instill fear in you with the "possibilities" of harm (physically or monetarily) and then I offer to fix the issue. You're so scared that when I offer to fix it @ a $2000 price tag you're on the thin line but that fear pushes you over to my side. So i fix the issue. It cost me $0-$50 to fix and then i charge you only $800, give you cofee and a donut. You were expecting $2000. Now you're a loyal customer, stuck on my ass because i "did you right"....
Then when you can no longer afford to repair, i send you over to my neighbor in sales that offers to trade your car in on one of the newer year/models.
In reality your car was not broken, was fixed quickly and sent to manheim auction.
I'm sure you understand the rest.
Old 04-17-2013, 05:51 AM
Members

As many pointed out already you need to clear the codes to see if they come back. Note, unlike emissions (check engine light) the restraint system fault light won't go away even if the fault conditions are no longer present.
Old 04-17-2013, 06:03 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Remember (or now know) that "Passenger Restraint System error" does not literally mean the passenger (as in co-driver), but means all passengers, driver and all. So, the fault can be anything in the entire SRS system. For me, it turned out to be a faulty drivers side (left) door module. I replace with a used module and recoded for my car (new VIN, coded in my cars options/accessories). Problem solved.
Old 04-17-2013, 07:05 AM
New Members

thanks everyone for the insight and advice. yes, I am intimidated, only because I'm worried about the safety of me and my passengers.

clearing the codes to see if they come back makes perfect sense, should've understood that right away.

So, I'm planning on buying my own software tool and going from there.

In the meantime, does anyone have any advice on checking sensors/harnesses/etc. that could have gotten unplugged or nudged when the car wash originally set the error message off? Or just some guidance into checking on what could be setting the error message off, since it came on during the car wash?

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint System Error - Airbag Control Module? Plz help