E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Passenger Restraint System Error

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2015, 08:02 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 39 Likes on 37 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

if the BST is really the problem, then a bypass solution like this defeats the purpose of the BST in the first place. If the car is in a bad collision the BST blows - the idea is that once blown, it may prevent some electrical fires in the damaged car.
Old 10-03-2015, 08:25 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 545i
Model Year: 2004

You def need to pull the codes. I had a Passenger Restraint Malfunction for about a year. I really thought it was the Mat Sensor and didn't want to deal with it. I bought BMWhat when it first came out and the code definitions werent' any good. Eventually i found out that it just a Crash Sensor (behind the front bumper) that went bad. $80 later no more Passenger Restraint errors.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:06 PM
Members
Senior Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: Sold: 545i, sport package, cold weather, 6MT
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by BuddyB
Hi all,

Also when I pull up recalls for my '06 530i there is a current recall via BMW for the Positive Battery Cable.
Which I am pretty sure was never done to my car.
I want to check into this as well.

BuddyB
Buddy,

I believe that's just the recall where they replace some plastic connector at the front end of the trunk. It will not clear any codes or fix any of your issues, but it will prevent a fire!
Old 10-06-2015, 06:49 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport

When I received this error message on my '04 545i, it turned out to be the control module in the drivers door. Point is, it can be anything related to the SRS system. So, you MUST definitively determine the actual fault before you start guessing the cause. "Passenger" can also be the driver in this case. So, don't assume "passenger" means co-driver's seat.

Originally Posted by BuddyB
Hi all,
I have this error popping up on my iDrive.
Has anyone seen it and if so what does it usually indicate?
At first read I thought that it was the Seat Mat Sensor, now I think that it may be the actual Seat Belt itself.

iDrive error:

Pass. Restraint System
Fault in passenger-restraint system affecting Airbag, Belt Tensioner or Belt Force Limiter.
Continue to wear the Safety Belt
Have the System Checked by the nearest BMW Center.

Thanks,

Bud B
Old 10-06-2015, 03:39 PM
New Members

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i+BT+AUX+Coding
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by DR545
You def need to pull the codes. I had a Passenger Restraint Malfunction for about a year. I really thought it was the Mat Sensor and didn't want to deal with it. I bought BMWhat when it first came out and the code definitions werent' any good. Eventually i found out that it just a Crash Sensor (behind the front bumper) that went bad. $80 later no more Passenger Restraint errors.

+1, same for me.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:21 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

I had the same error and when I pulled the code it was pointing to the BST. (sorry, I forgot the code...92BC or something).

A few months before I changed the battery and had it registered. I changed it myself and put one of those ointment things on the battery terminals that is supposed to minimize battery corrosion or something.

Anyway, just recently the error popped up on the iDrive. I then cleared the code, then disconnected the battery. I also wiped off the ointment stuff and then put the battery cables back in nice and tight.

It's been a month now and the error has not come back.

Before you start buying stuff to try to fix it, please make sure that the battery cable is nice and tight.
Old 09-02-2016, 01:31 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530D E60 auto

I got this issue everytime someone sat in the passenger seat. It was the seat matt detector. I have bypassed it by matt emulator. Easy and cheap fix. But still replacing the matt would be wiser as it detects the weight of the occupant and sets the airbags accordingly
Old 09-02-2016, 08:37 AM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW

Originally Posted by MateX3
I got this issue everytime someone sat in the passenger seat. It was the seat matt detector. I have bypassed it by matt emulator. Easy and cheap fix. But still replacing the matt would be wiser as it detects the weight of the occupant and sets the airbags accordingly
What's the matt emulator? Do you have a link?
Old 09-11-2016, 04:50 AM
New Members

My Ride: 530D E60 auto

you can try contacting this seller, but there are plenty of emulators on ebay.https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...S02QkpkbTFRSkk
Old 08-07-2017, 12:04 PM
New Members

My Ride: BMW 528i

Originally Posted by westsidebalto
Depends. Could be the Passenger seat sensor mat ($$$$$$), could be the battery BST cable, which was my problem ($250 for part, replaced it myself). Could be any number of other sensors or modules.
where did you purchase your part

Quick Reply: Passenger Restraint System Error