E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

passenger restraint

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 08:13 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 530i, sport suspension, xeon headlights
Default passenger restraint

Im new to this site, Im a member of a bmw motorcycle forum and a member had nothing but praise for this site.
I am having an issue I hope someone can shed some light on what I can expect, the other day while driving my 2004 530i with nobody in the passenger seat the passengrt restraint fault light came on the idrive, now when someone sits in the passenger seat the airbag light will go off as if its working fine, now I'm talking about the light by the map and coutesy lights the fault never goes away on the idrive.any suggestions? or what it might cost to have repaired? thank you
Old 01-23-2014, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Are you speaking specifically about the AB light on the overhead control panel where the sunroof switch is, or a message that illuminates inside the Idrive screen? If its the overhead, which I get the feeling because you mention the map courtesy lights, the amber message that illuminates is on or off all the time depending on what system you have. I say it's best yo look in you owners manual and there it should describe how this light is supposed to behave. E.G. my 2008 the airbag light is NOT illuminated when the seat is empty. It's also not illuminated when a person is sitting in the seat that meets the requirements. I WILL illuminate if a small child or person not meeting the requirements. If I place my work bag in the seat, semi small bags of groceries etc... This is how mine is suppose to operate. Now, it does illuminate frequently in the summer time with no one in the seat. What is happening is the leather is heating, perhaps shifting a bit and applying just enough pressure on the sensor to illuminate the light. I can massage the seat cushion a bit and the light will go off. Our F10 is just the opposite. Auctunge60 I believe has a 04/05 530 and his AB light remains on unless someone is in the seat which is correct for his car. Take a look in the owners manual to see what your system should be doing. IF you are getting the AB message inside the drive screen then chances are you have a mat or sensor that has failed. When dealing with AB issues, I think its always best to at least go to dealer and have it checked, it's a safety system. Also, there are some cars that fall into an extended warranty for the SBE mat.
Old 01-23-2014, 02:03 PM
New Members

yes I know about the airbag light buy the mirror, what Im saying is on the i-drive the message never goes away but when someone sits on the passenger seat the airbag light will go off by the MIRROR which is normal operation, I was just wandering why I'm getting the message on the idrive that there is a malfuntion when all seems to be working ok, but yes I agree will be a trip to dealer for any saftey issues, thank you
Old 01-23-2014, 03:09 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

Yes you will need to go it the dealer or someone who has the software to check the internal faults. Maybe you get lucky and the issue is covered under the extended warranty
Old 01-24-2014, 12:31 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 530XI

I recently just got an important safety recall letter from BMW regarding this issue. They said the recall is for the Front passenger Air bag occupancy senor mat. I drive a 2006 530XI if that helps.
Old 01-27-2014, 01:28 AM
New Members

well its at the dealer now, comming home friday the crankcase vent valve decided to blow!!!!!!!
I am so upset with myself I knew these are an issue with the M54 engine, last year when I had it at the dealer to replace my battery I was talking to the service writer about this issue, his response was dont worry about it I never see an issue with the 530i it is always the X5 that seems to be the problem. so I put it outa my mind, what a mistake!! bavarien auto sells a whole kit for $199.00 to replace all thats needed.
now the dealer called me (Different Dealer) told me what happened and its now going to cost me $1800.00 what a joke. so the moral of the story change your vent valve if you are capable of doing this yourself, and anything else you know of that should be done regardless of what the dealer says! (water pump) I thought of just having the car towed back to my house so I can just do it myself, I was so pissed off I just said fix it.
I told them to check the passenger restraint fault and let me know, still waiting for the results on that one. Dont know if I want to know!!!!!!!!
Old 01-27-2014, 06:17 AM
Members
Senior Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 545i sport
Model Year: 2004

Originally Posted by rs530
Im new to this site, Im a member of a bmw motorcycle forum and a member had nothing but praise for this site.
I am having an issue I hope someone can shed some light on what I can expect, the other day while driving my 2004 530i with nobody in the passenger seat the passengrt restraint fault light came on the idrive, now when someone sits in the passenger seat the airbag light will go off as if its working fine, now I'm talking about the light by the map and coutesy lights the fault never goes away on the idrive.any suggestions? or what it might cost to have repaired? thank you

Welcome. the iDrive warning "Passenger Restraint ..." does NOT mean literally the right side front seat. "Passenger" means anyone in the car. So, it could be the driver (left) as well. Many things can trigger the fault. In my case ('04 545i) the fault was the driver side door module.
Old 01-28-2014, 01:17 PM
Contributors

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
My Ride: BMW
Model Year: 2006

Getting a code is important. I recently got a similar issue and scanned my car with INPA. It showed a 93B2 code regarding the BST terminal. All I did is disconnect the battery, cleaned all contacts, disconnected and reseat all plugs along the battery cables and make sure they are nice and snug. Plugged the battery back in and no more fault messages on the iDrive.