E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Airbag on-off indicator light

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:05 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Every time I start the car the passenger airbag light indicator, the one on the overhead console comes on momentarily and then goes off.
The same behavior with or without any passenger. Is there suppose to be a airbag ON indicator light come on, even if it for just one minute or so. I have never seen one which indicate that its on.

How do you tell? Is there anything wrong in my setup? If there suppose to be one, who does is behave, where it would be? A Picture would be greatly appreciated.

And yes.... I searched for a good amount of time with different variations but could not find anything on this.

thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:16 AM
Contributors

where is the light on the overhead console?
i dont have this? is your car LCI?
or is this a north american spec thing?
Old 02-26-2009, 10:22 AM
Members

When someone is sitting in the pass side the air bag is on,when no one is sitting there it's off and the light is on.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:29 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by JAY'545' post='802327' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:22 AM
When someone is sitting in the pass side the air bag is on,when no one is sitting there it's off and the light is on.
I have never seen this light ON, regardless of someone sitting in the passenger seat or not. Is it time to go to the dealer and have this checked out.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:31 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dr Dave' post='802323' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:16 AM
where is the light on the overhead console?
i dont have this? is your car LCI?
or is this a north american spec thing?
I'm not sure if this is ONLY North American thing, but the light is right next to the sunroof switch up on the overhead console. I have a pre-LCI 2006 530i.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

i have this exact same question. that light will light up briefly when the car starts up, and it remains off regardless if my wife is there or not. my original though is that, it should be off when someone sits there, and should be on when no one sits there

so during my last oil change, i asked my dealer (Fremont BMW). they did some test and says it's running normally. they are saying when the car first started it will run some diagnostic test. the light will be OFF, unless it detects a weight that is too light (for example a child). I don't know the exact weight range that will activates this light.

Seems like we are experiencing the same thing and that should be normal, according to the dealer.

Dr Dave, I don't have a LCI, this light is standard for sometime (my wife's 03 x5 has this too). It's the little indicator near the moonroof switch. Not sure if it's a US thing though...
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by kchan' post='802341' date='Feb 26 2009, 11:47 AM
i have this exact same question. that light will light up briefly when the car starts up, and it remains off regardless if my wife is there or not. my original though is that, it should be off when someone sits there, and should be on when no one sits there

so during my last oil change, i asked my dealer (Fremont BMW). they did some test and says it's running normally. they are saying when the car first started it will run some diagnostic test. the light will be OFF, unless it detects a weight that is too light (for example a child). I don't know the exact weight range that will activates this light.

Seems like we are experiencing the same thing and that should be normal, according to the dealer.

Dr Dave, I don't have a LCI, this light is standard for sometime (my wife's 03 x5 has this too). It's the little indicator near the moonroof switch. Not sure if it's a US thing though...
Thanks for chiming in, I'll ask my dealer (East Bay BMW in Pleasanton) next time I'm there, which won't be for a while (brake fluid flush in June) unless something else develops. I'll post my result.
thanks.
Old 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 550i - Metallic Mystic Blue, Sport Package, STEPTRONIC Auto Transmission, Leather Interior, Power Front Seats w/Lumbar Support, Xeonon Head Lights (Angel Eyes), Park Distance Control (PDC), 6-CD Changer, Adaptive Head Light, SIRIUS Satellite Radio, Professional Radio, Premium Sound Package 13-Speakers Logic 7, Weather Band Radio, Voice Control (for Bluetooth Telephone Operatoin), 18" Run Flats, Rain-Sensing Wipers, Front/Rear Heated Seats, Flat Tire Monitor (FTM), Moonroof, Fold Down Rear Seats, Hardwired Valentine One

I can't recall it being on when someone is sitting there or not, but, I can tell you if I have some groceries "sitting" on the seat (that are semi-heavy - ie. bottle of wine or milk) the light stays on.
Old 02-26-2009, 01:08 PM
Contributors

this must be a NA thing only, as neither of my cars have this....but then again they dont have sun roofs either (because we dont have sun here in the uk)
i dont beleive in the sun anyway...i think its the back of the moon.....
Old 02-26-2009, 09:48 PM
Members

My Ride: 520d LCI, old engine, manual, black dakota, platingrau II, standard (242?) rims.

Same behavior here (520d LCI). It is perfectly normal and falls in the same category as the air bag light on the dashboard - that one will also light up when the car is started and turn off after a couple of seconds. This way you can visually check that the lights that indicate a possible problem with these systems are actually working.

I even recall that it's mandatory for air bag indicator lights in the Netherlands and it's checked with the annual/bi-annual car safety checkup.

Quick Reply: Passenger Airbag on-off indicator light