E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Passenger Airbag Light

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2005, 06:09 AM

They are aware and are working on it for earlier builds

This Service Measure supersedes S.M. B72 207 04 dated January 25, 2005.

Changes to this revision are identified in blue text.

Subject

Passenger Airbag Status Lamp Goes ON/OFF During Driving

Complaint

The customer complains that with a person in the front passenger seat, the passenger airbag status lamp may illuminate while driving. No airbag faults are stored.

Vehicles affected: E60 (5 Series), E65/E66 (7 Series), E83 (X3), E85 (Z4)

Cause

The primary purpose of the passenger seat detection mat is to detect an approximately one-year old child who is placed in a child seat. As a result, while the system accurately detects occupants when seated normally, it may not recognize the same individual if that person moves into certain positions (for example to sit more on the side of the seat).

Note: Seat covers, seat cushion padding, ball mats etc., interfere with the operation of the passenger detection system, and therefore must not be installed unless recommended by BMW.

Measure

In case of customer complaint, check the type of seat in the vehicle. Most complaints so far are for E60 vehicles with Sport Seats (Option 481). For these vehicles, revised software will be available shortly that improves recognition, particularly if the passenger is sitting with knees apart (with some body weight distributed onto the side bolsters of the seat). Additional enhancements are being developed.

BMW continues to need more information on the reason for this complaint. If possible, please verify the customer?s complaint using a vehicle with a similar type of seat and provide as much information as possible via PuMA so that the seat occupancy detection can be further developed and refined. If possible, include as much of the following as possible:

How often the light comes on and the approximate time the light stays on.

The approximate height and weight of the individual.

The seating position of the individual when the light is illuminated (legs outstretched, elbow on center armrest, body positioning on seat cushion, etc.). Attach a digital photograph if possible.

Seat height (High / Mid / Low)

Backrest position (Distance measured from front edge of seat cushion to top of backrest)

Seat position (Fully forward / Mid / fully rear)

If the above checks indicate the same complaint with a similar seat in another vehicle, then do not replace parts, but recommend that the passenger change seating position so that the light goes off.(???

Many thanks for those who have submitted PuMA cases so far. This helps BMW develop solutions.
Old 03-31-2005, 09:02 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gudge' date='Mar 31 2005, 07:26 AM
Hi there. I'm new here. I'll be taking delivery of my 2005 car in April. This is a topic that is very important to me. So I wonder if someone (preferably in the UK or with UK Spec car) can enlighten me.
I have a little toddler of 6 months, and a two year old. In my current car, which has a manual passenger airbag pass, we put the toddler in the front (rear facing seat, airbag disabled), and the two year old in the back on a booster seat.
Can anyone please tell me if I will be okay using the rear facing seat with the toddler in the front passenger seat. In other words, will the passenger airbag automatically disable itself ?

(Otherwise I have the unappealing prospect of putting both kids in the back.......at least the toddler's not old enough to fight back her elder sister yet!!)

Thanks in advance
GAZ
[snapback]109190[/snapback]
The airbag should not deploy in the front if the kid/seat are light enough...but I wouldn't take my chances. I'd put both kids in back regardless as it is much safer...plus, then you can say "stop hitting your sister" and "stop kicking the seat"
Old 03-31-2005, 09:10 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Gudge' date='Mar 31 2005, 08:26 AM
Hi there. I'm new here. I'll be taking delivery of my 2005 car in April. This is a topic that is very important to me. So I wonder if someone (preferably in the UK or with UK Spec car) can enlighten me.
I have a little toddler of 6 months, and a two year old. In my current car, which has a manual passenger airbag pass, we put the toddler in the front (rear facing seat, airbag disabled), and the two year old in the back on a booster seat.
Can anyone please tell me if I will be okay using the rear facing seat with the toddler in the front passenger seat. In other words, will the passenger airbag automatically disable itself ?

(Otherwise I have the unappealing prospect of putting both kids in the back.......at least the toddler's not old enough to fight back her elder sister yet!!)

Thanks in advance
GAZ
[snapback]109190[/snapback]
Not sure what the laws of the UK are, but putting a child in the front seat is dangerous, period!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:08 AM
Senior Members

Not sure what the laws of the UK are, but putting a child in the front seat is dangerous, period!
[snapback]109344[/snapback]
[/quote]

It's quite common for pple to put rear facing car seats in the front. (Most cars have a manual airbag pass).
Why do you think it is dangerous ?
Is it something to do with the law on seatbelts in US. In UK, wearing seatbelts in front and rear is mandatory.

GAZ
Old 04-01-2005, 02:23 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

"In case of customer complaint, check the type of seat in the vehicle. Most complaints so far are for E60 vehicles with Sport Seats (Option 481). For these vehicles, revised software will be available shortly that improves recognition, particularly if the passenger is sitting with knees apart (with some body weight distributed onto the side bolsters of the seat). Additional enhancements are being developed. "

Knees apart, seat right back, backrest down, pressing hard onto the side bolsters, legs in the air - THAT's why the active seat was developed - won't be just the light going on and off...!!!
Old 04-01-2005, 02:26 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 MY 545i Sport Saloon. 2006 MY Alpina B3S Convertible. 2006 MY Brabus Smart 42 Cabrio. 2006 MY AM DB9 Coupe.

On a serious note, how many of us have seen people with kids in the front passenger seat that are not the minimum height necessary for the seat belts to function properly without decapitating the kid's head??? Too many I fear... IMHO, small kids belong in the back where its safer if all recommended measures are taken.