E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

The passenger air bag isn't working!

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2005, 09:01 PM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

Nope it's dirt.. Haha
Old 03-23-2005, 05:32 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 525i, Jet Black, Black Dakota Leather, Poplar Wood, Steptronic Transmission, Premium Package, Xenon Lights.

[quote name='soc_fans' date='Mar 19 2005, 08:22 PM']
Any of you guys here has the same problem before? I have made an appointment with my dealer for them to fix it.

soc_fans,

I had that same problem 2 weeks after my car was delivered. Took it to the dealer, they fixed it in one day. Took some reprogramming.
Old 03-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Breae60' date='Mar 19 2005, 10:37 PM
Haven't seen that, but my sensor keeps lighting up and "air bag is off" on roof by sunnroof with my 120lb wife on the freakin seat.? Do I need a fatty next to me or something.
[snapback]103967[/snapback]
Breae60 - I have the same issue with my car. My wife weighs 130 and the light sensor goes off and on at different times. If someone heavier sits in the seat there is no problem. I've had the car in once before and got them to replace the seat matt sensor that measures the passenger weight and width of hips to determine if the air bag should be deployed or not. The primary reason for this is that if you have a baby in the front seat (which you should never do), then the air bag won't deploy and crush the baby.

When BMW replaced the seat matt sensor, it worked for a couple of weeks, but then the problem started arising again. So I've been on BMWNA's case about this and they consulted one of their engineers. It was suggested to replace the seat matt sensor again, but to "initialize" it a different way before installing. I'm planning on getting the car back in a couple of days.

I did warn BMWNA that this is a serious safety concern and according to Texas laws (where I live), if a serious safety issue is not corrected by the second time, the car would be eligible under the lemon law statue. Hopefully they understand this, because if this doesn't get corrected this time, conversations are going to be heated. You can check your lemon law state requirements at http://www.carlemon.com/lemonstat.html Attached is the documentation concerning the seat matt sensor.

SeatDetect2.pdf
Old 03-23-2005, 11:48 AM
04BMW525i

I have had the same issue. I even had a BMW engineer fly out from Greenville, SC and they replaced the seat matt sensor but same thing as you. It is not working anymore. This is what I got from the engineer this morning
"I do not have a definitive answer for you yet, however I am working diligently on your problem. It appears that Semen's is about to supply a programming fix for your scenario. I do not have a date as of now when this update will be available. Semen's states that the OC3 system has been tested and appears to be stable. The problem appears to be the size of your wife in relationship with her weight. Her weight is sufficient to satisfy the OC3 system, however her size is small enough to confuse the system as to deciding if she is a child or adult. Due to the nature of this complaint and the safety of all occupants that may ride in the vehicle we must be very careful as to the modifications that are made to the system. I assure you we are working directly with Semen's on a daily basis to resolve this problem as soon as possible. Correspondence from Simons leads me to believe a solution is coming very soon. Please feel free to contact me at any time to discuss this matter."

Originally Posted by Sifford' date='Mar 23 2005, 01:57 PM
[quote name='Breae60' date='Mar 19 2005, 10:37 PM']Haven't seen that, but my sensor keeps lighting up and "air bag is off" on roof by sunnroof with my 120lb wife on the freakin seat.? Do I need a fatty next to me or something.
[snapback]103967[/snapback]
Breae60 - I have the same issue with my car. My wife weighs 130 and the light sensor goes off and on and different times. If someone heavier sits in the seat there is no problem. I've had the car in once before and got them to replace the seat matt sensor that measures the passenger weight and width of hips to determine if the air bag should be deployed or not. The primary reason for this is that if you have a baby in the front seat (which you should never do), then the air bag won't deploy and crush the baby.

When BMW replaced the seat matt sensor, it worked for a couple of weeks, but then the problem started arising again. So I've been on BMWNA's case about this and they consulted one of their engineers. It was suggested to replace the seat matt sensor again, but to "initialize" it a different way before installing. I'm planning on getting the car back in a couple of days.

I did warn BMWNA that this is a serious safety concern and according to Texas laws (where I live), if a serious safety issue is not corrected by the second time, the car would be eligible under the lemon laws. Hopefully they understand this, because if this doesn't get corrected this time, conversations are going to be heated. You can check your lemon law state requirements at http://www.carlemon.com/lemons.html. Attached is the documentation concerning the seat matt sensor.

Attachment 6035
[snapback]105580[/snapback]
[/quote]
Old 03-23-2005, 12:29 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: Collected Sept 2009 - BMW E90 M3, Silverstone II, Novillo Black leather, 19" M Double-Spoke alloys, High Beam Assist, Electronic Damper Control, Voice Control, PDC, USB, DAB, High Gloss Shadowline, Sliding armrest, Trim Finishing in aluminium grey.

Originally Posted by soc_fans' date='Mar 22 2005, 08:07 AM
No i don't have any bras installed on my car.. i wish i could put it on though.. Well, my car is already in the bodyshop right now. It cost $650 for the repairs.. they have to repaint the door..? ? and the AC SChnitzer decal will be removed.. I'm getting a new one though..?
[snapback]104917[/snapback]
If u put the new decal over the damage you won't notice it then...
Old 03-23-2005, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 530iA Silver Grey , black interior. Premium Package, Navigation System, Head-up Display, Radio Satellite, Adaptive Xenon Headlights. AC Schnitzer Front Lip, H&R springs, Rear red reflector, All season Floor mat,

The repair will be done by tomorrow.. i will post some pictures up once the job is done. I hope it will be good..
Old 03-23-2005, 09:37 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Which repair? the Airbag or the door ding?
Old 03-23-2005, 10:06 PM
Contributors

That's not the door ding.. it was knocked by my friend who reversed his car but did not saw me behind. <_<
Old 04-07-2005, 12:44 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2011 550 AW 2005 530AW GONE

So the babies in the shop for the sensor replacement or reprogramming, whatever it is that they do. Let you guys know what's up. Really don't want to fatten up ht e wife...hehehe
Old 04-07-2005, 01:26 PM
Members

My Ride: 04 525i, Premium Package, Cold package.

I had a similar problem. bmwna said the sports seats don't have that problem. They apparently have new sensors and it has been tested. I should be getting the seats in a few days and will let you know how that works out.

Quick Reply: The passenger air bag isn't working!