E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

passanger airbag goes off and on

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2006, 12:16 AM
dee
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

When my girlfriend is in the car the passenger air bag will turn off and on.So I've told my dealer twice about it,but they say they can't reproduce so there's no problem.But i'm worried,what if i get into an accident and the damm thing doesn't deploy.Should i take the car back in and demand they fix it.
Old 03-10-2006, 02:28 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

There's a weight sensor in the passenger seat that allows the airbag to deploy if it determines the passenger is heavier than a certain amount.

Either your girlfriend is very light, or there's something wrong with your car. You are correct that there is a risk of injury if there is something wrong -- I'd either ask the dealer to check it again, go to another dealer, or maybe get BMWNA involved to help put some pressure on someone to fix it...
Old 03-10-2006, 03:15 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

I guess it depends on how commited to your girlfriend you are as to bwhether or not you get it fixed.
Old 03-10-2006, 03:55 AM
dee
Members

My Ride: 05 545i jet blk/blk sports,sound

Originally Posted by Rudy' post='252683' date='Mar 10 2006, 03:28 AM
There's a weight sensor in the passenger seat that allows the airbag to deploy if it determines the passenger is heavier than a certain amount.

Either your girlfriend is very light, or there's something wrong with your car. You are correct that there is a risk of injury if there is something wrong -- I'd either ask the dealer to check it again, go to another dealer, or maybe get BMWNA involved to help put some pressure on someone to fix it...
My girlfriend is 110 lbs,but it's does the same thing sometimes when my other friends are sitting there too.I guess asians are just too light for the sensor.
Old 03-10-2006, 04:34 AM
Members

My Ride: 2004 Titanium Gray 545i auto, navigation, premium sound/Logic7, cold weather, adaptive Xenon, Lumbar support, split rear seat, PDC.

The other question i had was: does it do the same thing when your wife is in the passenger seat?
Old 03-10-2006, 05:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: #1: 2004 545i; 6-speed manual; Sport Package; Mystic Blue with a gray leather interior and Anthracite wood; CWP; Logic 7. #2: 2010 535xi Touring; Automatic.

Originally Posted by dee' post='252646' date='Mar 10 2006, 03:16 AM
When my girlfriend is in the car the passenger air bag will turn off and on.So I've told my dealer twice about it,but they say they can't reproduce so there's no problem.But i'm worried,what if i get into an accident and the damm thing doesn't deploy.Should i take the car back in and demand they fix it.
What does the dealer's inability to reproduce have to do with it? Have they tried adopting?
Old 03-10-2006, 06:03 AM
Members

Originally Posted by dee' post='252646' date='Mar 10 2006, 03:16 AM
I've been reporting this issue to BMW since March 2004. I had to give them video tape showing that it didn't work, because initially I received the same excuse, "We can't recreate the issue." After proving there was a problem, all they kept saying was that it would be fixed in the next update. Close to two years later still no progress with it. Last November, I had enough of it and really started raising hell with BMW NA. They confirmed that if warning light comes on, then the airbag will indeed not deploy.

This January, they finally got tired of my complaints and threats that I was going to report this to the National Transportation Safety Board (government agency in the US). An update now exists to fix this problem. The issue was a tough one to get resolved because I have Comfort Seats and since there weren't many cars with the Comfort Seats, they put it at a lower priority to get the issue addressed.

So....to fix your issue, download the attached spec sheet and take it down to your dealer. Have them reprogram the OC3 seat mat sensor and you should be able to breathe easier knowing that if your girlfriend is riding along with you and you get in a wreck, the airbag will deploy for her. Good luck with the fix and let me know if it works. I can't test the fix because my wife is pregnant and her added weight now makes the sensor "think" she's sitting in the seat now.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Seat_Mat_Sensor_Fix.pdf (132.3 KB, 156 views)
Old 03-10-2006, 06:24 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I have the same problem on my July '05 build 530xi. My daughter is 140 pounds and the passenger airbag light is sometimes on and sometimes off. I am due for service in May and this is one item I will ask to be addressed.

Tom
Old 03-10-2006, 06:50 AM
Contributors

Sifford, awesome info. Thx very much. I had my car at the dealer just yesterday for this exact issue. My wife weighs 105 pounds. They told me they could not recreate the issue. No faults were found. I'm emailing this pdf to them right now. Thx again.
Old 03-10-2006, 07:45 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

As Rudy said, it is a sensor problem.

Just have your dealer to fix it.

Quick Reply: passanger airbag goes off and on