E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Parked Car Ventilation?

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2005, 08:44 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i with everything

Originally Posted by teutonictrio' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:56 AM
[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Aug 20 2005, 08:51 AM']It's not a useless feature even when it's 100 degrees out. When your car is in the sun or even in the shade it is usually much hotter in the car than outside. That's why your dog dies sitting in the car even when it's only 75 out. Venting the air with 100 degree air doesn't sound that great until you consider that on a 100 degree day your car can hit 125 degrees or higher. It may not feel great when you get it but it is better for you, and your car, if you do it. Rolling the windows down of course will help as well when you get in the car.

There should be a shortcut button on the dash for this feature. I hate digging through idrive to turn the fan on before I leave my parked car.
[snapback]161442[/snapback]
Rodney, I have the solution for you!!!

I just read the rather lengthy voice menu command document, and you can access the parked car ventilation with one of five voice commands, so you don't have to toggle through the I-drive.

Parked car
Parked car operation
Parked car ventilation
Parked car ventilation menu
Parked car venting

Pretty cool!
[snapback]161446[/snapback]
[/quote]
Thanks for the good suggestion!
Old 08-20-2005, 09:12 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

I never know exactly what time I will be back in the car. Also it runs down the battery. So I allways use the remote to open all windows and the sunroof while approaching the car. In a matter of seconds the inside temperature then is the same as the outside temperature. Then you start the engine, and the A/C comes on. Once you've closed the windows and sunroof the A/C starts cooling the interior down.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:19 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by Iceman' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:12 AM
I never know exactly what time I will be back in the car. Also it runs down the battery. So I allways use the remote to open all windows and the sunroof while approaching the car. In a matter of seconds the inside temperature then is the same as the outside temperature. Then you start the engine, and the A/C comes on. Once you've closed the windows and sunroof the A/C starts cooling the interior down.
[snapback]161474[/snapback]
Same here, plus I hit the max button on the A/C to get the car cooled down quickly.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:36 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by stream' date='Aug 20 2005, 12:19 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:12 AM']I never know exactly what time I will be back in the car. Also it runs down the battery. So I allways use the remote to open all windows and the sunroof while approaching the car. In a matter of seconds the inside temperature then is the same as the outside temperature. Then you start the engine, and the A/C comes on. Once you've closed the windows and sunroof the A/C starts cooling the interior down.
Same here, plus I hit the max button on the A/C to get the car cooled down quickly.
[snapback]161477[/snapback]
[/quote]
Same here!
Old 08-20-2005, 07:48 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 550i; Alpine White/Black Dakota/MSport/SAT/IAS/Driver Assistance/ConveniencePkg/Prem Pkg 2/4 Zone AC/Side-Top Cameras/HUD & Black panel/BMW Apps-iPhone 4 Media/M Decklid spolier /Ventureshiled clear bra/ V1 -Ordered 4/9/11, Production 4/19, Shipped on Martorell 4/23,Arrived Port Hueneme 5/19,Delivered 5/21/11

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Aug 20 2005, 09:16 AM
[quote name='rodneyremington' date='Aug 20 2005, 11:51 AM']It's not a useless feature even when it's 100 degrees out. When your car is in the sun or even in the shade it is usually much hotter in the car than outside. That's why your dog dies sitting in the car even when it's only 75 out. Venting the air with 100 degree air doesn't sound that great until you consider that on a 100 degree day your car can hit 125 degrees or higher. It may not feel great when you get it but it is better for you, and your car, if you do it. Rolling the windows down of course will help as well when you get in the car.
[snapback]161442[/snapback]
Yeah but you're not factoring in humidity. I've found that if my car sits out on a hot and humid day, the interior gets very hot but the humidity of that air is low and it seems easier to cool down the car by opening the windows and runnning the A/C. If I run the parked car ventilation, it seems like the air is even warmer in the car because I'm adding the outside, humid air to the interior...

I might be imagining all this but I agree that sometimes I don't bother with setting the parked car ventilation for the reason above and, probably more importantly, I never know when I'm going to be returning to the car so I never know when to set the timer...
[snapback]161450[/snapback]
[/quote]
Man, So glad that the best climate in U.S. is arguably here in San Diego. Opening windows for 30 sec. before entering car usually does trick of basic hot air purge. 74 degrees and less than 50% humidity here today.
Old 08-20-2005, 08:43 PM
Contributors

Originally Posted by stream' date='Aug 20 2005, 01:19 PM
[quote name='Iceman' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:12 AM']I never know exactly what time I will be back in the car. Also it runs down the battery. So I allways use the remote to open all windows and the sunroof while approaching the car. In a matter of seconds the inside temperature then is the same as the outside temperature. Then you start the engine, and the A/C comes on. Once you've closed the windows and sunroof the A/C starts cooling the interior down.
[snapback]161477[/snapback]
[/quote]

Ditto for me. Works great.
Old 08-20-2005, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60

Ok, Im rusty with the cars features, I guess. I THOUGHT I read that you cannot lower all the windows with the remote? I thouhgt you had to turn the key or something to do that? Guess I need to get that manual back out....

I never know exactly what time I will be back in the car. Also it runs down the battery. So I allways use the remote to open all windows and the sunroof while approaching the car. In a matter of seconds the inside temperature then is the same as the outside temperature. Then you start the engine, and the A/C comes on. Once you've closed the windows and sunroof the A/C starts cooling the interior down
Old 08-21-2005, 07:21 AM
Banned

My Ride: '05 545i, silver gray, black leather with anthracite maple wood, sport package, premium sound, navigation, cold weather package, electric rear sunshade, folding rear seat, satellite radio prep, PIAA 4150K fogs, red rear reflectors, hardwired Valentine One

Originally Posted by 555' date='Aug 20 2005, 10:37 PM
Ok, Im rusty with the cars features, I guess.? I THOUGHT I read that you cannot lower all the windows with the remote?? I thouhgt you had to turn the key or something to do that?? Guess I need to get that manual back out....

I never know exactly what time I will be back in the car. Also it runs down the battery. So I allways use the remote to open all windows and the sunroof while approaching the car. In a matter of seconds the inside temperature then is the same as the outside temperature. Then you start the engine, and the A/C comes on. Once you've closed the windows and sunroof the A/C starts cooling the interior down
[snapback]161600[/snapback]
In the US you can't close the windows/sunroof with the remote--you need to insert & turn the key. Remote works for opening windows/sunroof.