E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Paint and Interior VS. The Sun

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2010, 06:36 PM
Members

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 2004 525i, Silver Gray Metallic on gray, Logic7,Adaptive Xenons
Model Year: 2004
Engine: M54

Unfortunately being a college student I don't have the luxury of parking my car in a garage like I would at home. My car is currently parked in a private driveway about a mile walk from campus so I'm not worried about it being scratched or dinged with doors, but I am worried about what the sun is doing to my interior and paint. My car is parked facing due South,next to a hedge of bushes on the driver side so its pretty safe from the morning sun, but my poor car is totally exposed during the mid-day sun and afternoon-evening sun. I have a reflective sunshade for my windshield that I put in the car when ever I park it even if its winter, and I keep my sunroof shade closed while its parked. But theres still a lot of glass letting in light and paint thats baking in the sun too.

My car didn't come with the factory window sunshades, is it possible to atleast put in some sort of snap in/on sunshades that are very similar to the bmw power shades? Another recommendation I got was to tint to windows (not too dark, don't want to look like a creeper). Any suggestions on which to do/what percentage of tint would be optimal?

As for my paint, I just washed and waxed my car with Meguiars deep crystal carnauba wax. Is there any other product beyond carnauba wax that will protect my paint? I'm not too concerned about brands, carnauba wax is carnauba wax. I suppose I could go to the extreme and get a car cover and fix all my problems haha.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:52 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Good window tint with UV protection and wax. Should be just fine.
Old 03-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Check out
303 Aerospace Protectant 303 Aerospace Protectant
for the dash and other interior pieces. As far as the paint; I cannot comment. I would think keeping it clean and waxed would help. Maybe get a cheap car cover if you are that worried about it.

Bob