E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint Durability

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've read a bunch of posts that talk about how 'soft' BMW paint is these days. Sounds like this is the case with a lot of OEM paint due to environmental concerns. I've only had my car for a month and it already has several dings in the door from other cars and dings on the bumper from gravel/rocks. I'm surprised at how fast it's happening... at this rate my car will look pretty beat-up after a year. I guess I'm resigned to having this happen given that I commute ~20 miles each way on 101 everyday and that I don't like to park away from everyone else.

Is it just me or are most of you guys doing ok with the paint on your cars?
Old 09-05-2006, 07:48 PM
Contributors

12k miles and no door dings and (thanks to 3M film) no rock chips. Wish they made this film for windshields . . .

Paint seems to be good.
Old 09-05-2006, 07:54 PM
Members

12K miles and no dings? Wow - what's your secret? Maybe the drivers in S. Dakota are just more considerate when they park their cars?

I was thinking about the 3M thing. But I hear it's just as expensive as having parts of the car repainted after a few years.
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 530i JETBLACK/BLACK DAKOTA, COLD WEATHER PKG, PREMIUM PKG, ADAPTIVE XENON HEADLIGHTS, AUTO TRANSMISSION WITH 6 SPEED STEPTRONIC, BLUETOOTH SETUP,SAT SETUP AND WIFE AS CO-PILOT

i know what you mean about soft paint...i have a jet black so everything shows...luckily ionly have about 6 rock chips...very small and no dings...you have to be proactive with your car...be aware of your surroundings...take the extra steps to avoid dooor dings...and dont drive to close to vehicles on the 101 fwy... dont drive behind big trucks or cars with big tires...as they tend to grab gravel and shoot it right at ya...dings can be removed by your dealer or independent companies....i just waxed my car... and i have had mine for 1yr and 8 months...and looks better now than when i drove it off the lot...goodluck ericd
Old 09-05-2006, 08:04 PM
Contributors

I spent about $650 for 3M film application on front hood, aero bumper, side mirrors, door edges and lower rear quarter panels (in lieu of mud flaps). With my mileage, I normally have to repaint bumper every 60,000 miles and this cost is easily $650. I expect to run the car for 150,000 miles so the 3M film will be a good investment.

I don't know why no door dings. I'm fairly careful about where I park, but not anal about it. I'll probably get a rash of them soon.
Old 09-05-2006, 09:25 PM
Contributors

yup, dings on the front bumper, front of hood, and little chips here and there.
i do the bay area 101/880/580 as well, and i'm at 10.5K miles.

sometimes it bothers me, but most of the time, *shrugs*, whatchagonnado, right?
ce la vie. i just enjoy the ride.
Old 09-05-2006, 11:46 PM
Senior Members

87.000 km's, and not a single door ding! But I'm very critical when it comes to parking... Sometimes it takes a while to find a good parking spot, where no other cars can park next to our E60
Old 09-06-2006, 04:00 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2005 525i : Alpine White, Steptronic, Black Interior with Amethyst Leather & Popular Grain Brown, 17" 122-Style Rims, Adaptive Bi-Xenon Headlights, Auto Dimming & Folding Mirrors, Advanced A/C, Sports Steering Wheel, Electrically Adjustable Steering Column, Extended Lighting Package, PDC, Sliding Armrest, Bus Navi, Hi-Fi Sound System (MP3 DVDs), CD Changer, Rear Sunshades.. MODS:M-tech front bumper, Painted Grill, Installed Aux-In, Garage Door Opener (Overhead Compartement), ///M Steering wheel, Wood hand brake trim, Wood gear-shift lever. 35% Tint all around.. Got, ACS Roof Spoiler, but not installed..

two rock chips on the hood......dont know they happened...
and i saw my first door ding last week. i was really upset, i really hate those,,, ...
overall, the paint is not excellent in durability, but with a bit of care.. all is good...
Old 09-06-2006, 05:50 AM
Members

My Ride: MY06 Silver-Grey 530i, Grey Leather, Sports Package, Steptronic, Premium Package, Satellite Radio, Bluetooth (Motorola V551), Llumar Platinum Tint.

Chris.Y Do yourself and your car a favor and get the film! It is less expensive than repainting and you don't have to worry about getting a paint match. Repainting a portion of your vehicle will require the car to be in the shop not less than two days so my suggestion is bite the bullet and get the film. I've had the film now for about two months and I love it. Since mine was done I've made two road trips and even been stuck in traffic behind a couple of dump trucks but I have no paint dings.

My methodology for preventing door dings is to be very selective about where I park my car. So far this works and I don't need to take up multiple spaces. Here's another tip; don't park your car at Wal-mart if you can avoid it.
Old 09-06-2006, 07:56 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2004 530i 6-speed Titanium Silver/Black Interior Premium Package Sport Package Aux input 30 GB video iPod Cold Weather Package Xenon Red rear reflectors Tint Clear Bra

27000 miles and no door dings. I usually park away from other cars. I also have 3M paint protection up front.

Quick Reply: Paint Durability