E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint doesn't match ??

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 11:31 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Had some paint work done on my then 4 month old 520d due to a Renualt hitting my car whilst parked. The car has been repaired by a BMW dealer and the paint finish, panel fit etc is spot on but I cant help thinking that the paint they have used is a slightly different colour. The car is Titanium silver and the dealer who did the work has offered to do it again if am not happy but can not guarantee to get the match any better. I have attached some pictures, what do you guys think? I dont want to make it worse as the boot lid and rear bumper are new items and have been sprayed once as original. The final picture is before the car was damaged and the back bumper looks slightly different!!
Thanks
Attached Thumbnails Paint doesn't match ??-1.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-2.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-3.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-4.jpg  
Old 07-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Members

My Ride: 535D M Sport Space Grey, Comfort Seat, full leather, iPod, climate pack, comms pack, heated seats, tinted windows, sports gearbox + paddle shift, 19" wheels

The problem you have in my experience is as follows:

a) Silver is a difficult colour to match (as is black!)
b) Different angles on any car can give the impression of different colours (take an Audi A6 as a prime example)
c) It will never appear to be the same as you are now looking for faults

I had an 18 month old Seal Grey 996 C2 that had a stone chip professionally repaired by a Porsche approved workshop on the front bumper. After 4 months of arguing the colour didn't match they ended up blending the bumper to the bonnet, to both front wings and through to the doors. Only then did the slight colour mismatch go away. I wish I had never started the process. There are four different Seal Greys and matching to one is almost impossible.

The main problem for me is that I own a printing company and can spot a bad colour match with my eyes closed!

If you are really unhappy, the only course of action will be to have more of the car painted and blended, which I would not recommend (but it's not my car!). It probably isn't as bad as you think. I have a three week old 535D M Sport with three stone chips already on the bonnet and I now believe the best course of action is to leave the car dirty and then you can't see them

The pictures do not show a mismatch and unless it's really obvious pictures won't ever show a colour problem, but they do show the addition of an M spoiler!
Old 07-14-2007, 02:16 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 520d F10, Sport Auto, Black, sun protection, Oyster/Black with Anthracite, Ambient lighting.

Thanks mogsyman, the colour is only very very slightly different and as you say it depends on angle and light. In bright weather it looks spot on, on dull days it looks a bit different but no one else seems to notice. The photos show it at it's worst to be honest, it's actually better in real life! The guy at the dealer said they could try to blend in but i'm with you on that one, don't want the side of the car sprayed. Just took a picture in bright weather, see what you think? The boot spoiler was done for free when they did the repair.
Hope your enjoying you 535d
BTW I know what you mean about Audi's especially the old A6 and current A4.
Attached Thumbnails Paint doesn't match ??-5.jpg  
Old 07-14-2007, 09:49 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Dear k44ent.

It's so hard to say anything about the colour by photos and almost as hard in the real world.

Titan Silver is a easy but at the same time a impossible colour.

What do you say about these pics?
In all pics the painting seem to have differant shades and in differant places.
Pics taken on differant localtion, light, time of year and with one camera and two differant cellphones.
Attached Thumbnails Paint doesn't match ??-oki_summer_celli.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-oki_korj.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-okiw_2_korj.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-oki_sunny.jpg   Paint doesn't match ??-oki_viikki_6_07_k.jpg  

Old 07-14-2007, 10:03 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

S**t, only now I realize that the both sides under the doors seem to have a darken part.

Or is it only a shade effect?

Anyone see the same?