E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Paint chips on my hood

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2005, 08:03 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i - 6 speed manual (July 04 build), silver-grey/black, sports package std equipment (18", active roll, active steering, adaptive headlights), premium sound, bluetooth enabled, folding rear seat, lumbar, 3m hood/bumper protective film, rear tint, euro reflectors.

Originally Posted by Ruf930' date='Mar 6 2005, 03:54 PM
Had the same issue in my MB and currently have a few chips in my E6o from trailing a rock throw snow salt truck in Colorado.? My front bumper was basically sandblasted.? I can deal with it for year or so before painting.?

Advice: A Bentley bodywork guy next to the MB dealer I have my car serviced gave me this advice a few years and it worked great...

Get the paint repair bottle from the dealer in your respective color (the one that looks like fingernail polish).? Shack the hell out of it to mix the chemicals!? Wash the car and dry out the chip spots very well.? I was so anal I used a hair dryer.? Then use a toothpick to apply the paint.? Little tiny dot, by little tiny dot, until you fill in the chip mark.? When you're done, let it dry and then use a REALLY fine sandpaper, I think it was 650 girts or something crazy like that, to smooth it out.? Then wax.

Up close, you could see it barely, but just glancing at the car, it was not visible.? My MB is a wine burgundy, but the darker the car the better.

Hope this helps.

[snapback]97997[/snapback]
I did the same thing. One note, Mothers waxes makes a product that you can use instead of the sandpaper - a little safer for the area around the ding. It actually softens the new repair area and you can buff it (materials included) to the correct height.

I forget what the product is called - something like chip repair kit.