E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Paid For My ED LCI 550 Sport Today

Search this Thread

Old 04-02-2007, 11:28 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm picking up my LCI 550 Sport in Munich in just a few weeks now and completed all of the paperwork today. I finally can confirm that there is no Gas Guzzler tax for the 08 550 manual. But I have a couple of questions regarding dealer "add-ons" that some of you may be able to help with.

LoJack ($700) - I've installed it in my other car (a Porsche) but never in my BMWs. I believe that BMW Assist now has a vehicle tracking system, so I see no reason to spend money on it now. Anyone disagree?

Tire & Wheel Insuarance (5 yrs/$700) - I live in Boston with bad winters and bad, bad potholed streets. I repair one or two wheels twice a year (each time I switched between summer and winter tires) with my 545's 18-inch runflats, and spend $100 - $125 a year. The 550 has 19-inch non-runflats. I'll keep it for four or five years. Is the insurance worth it?

I've decided against the autobahn package (3M paint protection film) this time around. However the dealer offers a $700 paint "polyshield". It sounds like some sort of 1960's undercarriage rust-protectant BS, but before I dismiss it out-of-hand, does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I usually never buy any type of dealer add-on, but with e60.net around, I figure some of you guys must know something about each one of these.

One more question. I've ordered the iPod/USB interface. Do you think I'll get the interface cable with the car in Munich or do you think it'll be a US VPC thing?

Thanks for the help.
Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i "Ben Hogan's 5 Iron" SilverGrey/Black Sport, L7, NAV, CW, AS, Split FR 2003 Audi A4 3.0 CVT "Part of the Moniker" Silver/Ebony, Prem, CW, Star 17s

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='409692' date='Apr 2 2007, 02:28 PM
I'm picking up my LCI 550 Sport in Munich in just a few weeks now and completed all of the paperwork today. I finally can confirm that there is no Gas Guzzler tax for the 08 550 manual. But I have a couple of questions regarding dealer "add-ons" that some of you may be able to help with.

LoJack ($700) - I've installed it in my other car (a Porsche) but never in my BMWs. I believe that BMW Assist now has a vehicle tracking system, so I see no reason to spend money on it now. Anyone disagree?

Tire & Wheel Insuarance (5 yrs/$700) - I live in Boston with bad winters and bad, bad potholed streets. I repair one or two wheels twice a year (each time I switched between summer and winter tires) with my 545's 18-inch runflats, and spend $100 - $125 a year. The 550 has 19-inch non-runflats. I'll keep it for four or five years. Is the insurance worth it?

I've decided against the autobahn package (3M paint protection film) this time around. However the dealer offers a $700 paint "polyshield". It sounds like some sort of 1960's undercarriage rust-protectant BS, but before I dismiss it out-of-hand, does anyone have any experience with this stuff?

I usually never buy any type of dealer add-on, but with e60.net around, I figure some of you guys must know something about each one of these.

One more question. I've ordered the iPod/USB interface. Do you think I'll get the interface cable with the car in Munich or do you think it'll be a US VPC thing?

Thanks for the help.

First off, a big congrats to you. ED is super. I can't wait to do it again.

Thumbs down on wheel insurance. I take my chances. In 15 months ownership, I have one wheel to refinish. 100 to 125 per year is lower than the insurance.

Lojack. Unless it saves you comparable dollars in insurance premium, forget it. If my car is missing, I'm calling my insurance agent.

We blasted the Autobahn with no knicks in the late winter. Roads are good over there. Forget it.

Your ED salesman should be able to answer the last question. Make him work some more for the money hes making.

CVT Benhogan
Old 04-02-2007, 11:45 AM
Contributors

Your 550i Sport is gonna be terrific looking ... that's exactly how I would order one. As much as you can't wait ... we want to see it too!

I would get the wheel insurance but skip the paint protection (that always sounds like a scam).

I have no idea about Assist and the vehicle tracking, nor about iPod stuff.

Please post a review and pics as soon as you can when you pick it up.
Old 04-02-2007, 12:18 PM
Senior Members

FWIW - I paid for tire and rim protection and just got an $1800 check in reimbursement. I live where there aren't many potholes and I have bent all 4 tires. I would have used even more reimbursement but 2 tires had road hazard already and 2 bent rims are relatively minor....
Old 04-02-2007, 02:50 PM
Senior Members

Get Tire and Wheel...what is the name of the carrier?
Old 04-02-2007, 05:22 PM
Members

My Ride: 2007 550i Auto, monaco blue met., black Dakota leather, burl walnut trim, sport package, active steering, Navi, HUD, cold weather package, comfort access, heated rear seats, rear sunshades, rear side air bags, rear deck spoiler, Logic 7 w/CD changer,
Model Year: 2007

Originally Posted by hinckley' post='409692' date='Apr 2 2007, 03:28 PM

Congratulations! Hope you can stand the wait. Did 2 ED's (wife's '06 330i and my '07 550i). I enjoyed a lot. There's no better way to break the car in than on the Autobahn. Well, I'm German, so it's also a good opportunity for me to visit the fatherland. And there's also the 7% discount on the base price.

Now to your questions. I'm very skeptic of dealer add-on's too. Usually just another way to milk you.

Didn't take Lojack ($695). The car has GPS locator that comes with BMW Assist (now free for 4 years) and you'll get a "Stolen Vehicle Recovery Certificate" for the insurance. IMO that's good enough.

Took the tire & wheel protection package for $595. Considering the road conditions in and around NJ and the price of wheels and tires (sport package) I figured that might be worth it. Company is Safe-Guard, 5 year coverage, unlimited number of occurrances.

Paint protection was not offered. Dealer offered windshiled coverage (Diamon Fusion) for $595. It allegedly hardens the glass and makes it water repellent. might as well buy a bottle of RainEx once in a while.

Dealer also offered "Comprehensive Mechanical Breakdown Coverage" 72 months / 100,000 miles for $3,749 (!), which I think is totally overpriced. I'll wait how the car holds up during regular warranty and if I feel I could use extended warranty I'll shop around then.

Have fun with your new ride in good old Germany and lots of luck!

Felix
Old 04-02-2007, 05:30 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

FWIW I'd always dismissed the paint and interior protection as complete and utter snake oil too, but my neighbor took it when he picked up his E90 a year or so back - and whilst I thought he was clinically insane at the time, from looking at his 325 today there may be something in it. His interior is much more "as new" than mine, and despite hardly ever washing or waxing his exterior, it's in very fine shape indeed. I'd always thought of the paint protection as living proof that fools and their money were soon parted, but having seen the neighbor's E90 hold up as well as it does I'm having second thoughts.
Old 04-02-2007, 10:17 PM
Members

My Ride: Jet Black 2007 E60 550i -Sport Package -Comfort Access -Navigation -Logic 7

Originally Posted by swajames' post='409755' date='Apr 2 2007, 08:30 PM
FWIW I'd always dismissed the paint and interior protection as complete and utter snake oil too, but my neighbor took it when he picked up his E90 a year or so back - and whilst I thought he was clinically insane at the time, from looking at his 325 today there may be something in it. His interior is much more "as new" than mine, and despite hardly ever washing or waxing his exterior, it's in very fine shape indeed. I'd always thought of the paint protection as living proof that fools and their money were soon parted, but having seen the neighbor's E90 hold up as well as it does I'm having second thoughts.

Congrats on the new 550! I'm sure you'll love it. I'm loving mine.

Quick question though, GG Tax. I don't remember paying GG Tax on my 07. As a matter of fact...

It's kinda hard to see but it states Gas Guzzler $0.00

Old 04-02-2007, 10:19 PM
Members

congrats!!!

-- iPod --
The iPod/USB cable is added when you take re-delivery in US from your dealer. Just take a
regular iPod stereo audio cable with you to Munich & plug it in the Aux audio input jack.

-- paint protection --
Skip it but get Clearbra. Make sure to search for a good Clearbra installer in your area with references.
If you get any paint chips or damage while in Europe, report it to HARMS & VPC would fix it at no charge.
In Europe, they keep the autobahns & roads very clean.
Do a car wash & clean the bugs on your front bumper before turning in your car.

-- Tire & Wheel Insurance --
IMO it is worthed. Get it.

-- LoJack --
Don't need it. yep, BMW ASSIST does the same thing. Make sure you activate it when you get your car in US.

Don't worry too much & enjoy your ED experience! It's priceless!
Old 04-03-2007, 06:44 AM
Contributors

As for LoJack, it is definitely not the same as what BMW assist offers, nevertheless I would not get LoJack. BMW Assist can track the car, but only after you file a police report that the car is stolen, which could waste valuable time. And, as some have said in this forum, and as I have learned myself, calling BMW Assist from an outside line (not from the car itself) takes time: when I called I got the usual automated system with a long wait time--again loss of valuable time. LoJack is faster and probably gives you a much better chance at recovery.

That being said, I would not get LoJack. First of all, there is a form of car tracking in the car which can at least find the car eventually. Thieves know this and so BMW Assist will at least act as a deterrent to theft. Second, if thieves want the car, and can get around its security, they will take it, LoJack or no LoJack. And third, I agree with the post above which said, if the car is stolen, I'll call my insurance carrier--that's why we pay these ridiculous rates.

Of course, just my .02

Congrats on the car!!

Quick Reply: Paid For My ED LCI 550 Sport Today