E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-2008, 10:12 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my CEL came on ,and when i scaned it an p0444 error (Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit Open).i think its the FUEL TANK BREATHER VALVE .dose any one know where its located on 545i and it their are any pics .thanks
Old 04-03-2010, 06:27 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i/6

Sorry to revive an old thread guys but this is the only thread that came up when I searched. Cel came on yesterday saying increased emissions. When I scanned it, this is the code it threw (p0444). I kinda assumed it had something to do with the fuel tank or gas cap. So I popped the gas cap off & put it back on & cleared the code. Drove approx 60mi & it came back on today. So I cleared it again & went & fueled up & no issues so far. Now if it comes on a third time then something is def up. Just wondering if anyone has any info. I did get my emissions done last week, maybe somehing went wrong when they performed the gas cap test? It passed though. Thanks in advance.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:09 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by cmoore_
Sorry to revive an old thread guys but this is the only thread that came up when I searched. Cel came on yesterday saying increased emissions. When I scanned it, this is the code it threw (p0444). I kinda assumed it had something to do with the fuel tank or gas cap. So I popped the gas cap off & put it back on & cleared the code. Drove approx 60mi & it came back on today. So I cleared it again & went & fueled up & no issues so far. Now if it comes on a third time then something is def up. Just wondering if anyone has any info. I did get my emissions done last week, maybe somehing went wrong when they performed the gas cap test? It passed though. Thanks in advance.
HAHA!! I have a feeling you wanted the short answer. Sorry....
Go to bmw-planet and search for "leak". You will find information about the DMTL for the N62.

http://www.bmw-planet.com/diagrams/r...0e61/index.htm

Diagnostic module, tank leak - DMTL
The tank-leak diagnostic module (DMTL) serves to identify leaks in the fuel system. Monitoring the fuel system for leaks is
required by law within the framework of On-Board Diagnosis.

Brief description of components
The tank-leak diagnostic module consists of the following components:

Electric vane pump: For establishing the required overpressure in the tank for tank-leak diagnosis

Changeover valve: For setting the various operating states

Module housing with integrated reference leak of 0.5 mm

Heater: For heating the vane pump to eliminate condensate

The function of the tank-leak diagnostic module is controlled by the Digital Motor Electronics (DME).

Function of tank-leak diagnosis
The fuel system is regularly checked for leaks after the engine is switched off. In this case, the following processes take
place in the DME run-on phase:

Starting situation: During normal engine operation, the changeover valve in the diagnostic module is in the so-called
regenerating position. The fuel vapours are stored in the carbon canister and fed to the engine as a function of activation
of the tank-venting valve (see also Tank ventilation).

Checking start conditions: The necessary start conditions are checked after the engine is switched off:

Engine OFF

Battery voltage between 11.5 V and 14.5 V

No entries in the DME fault memory for the tank-leak diagnostic module and the tank-venting system

Tank fill level greater than 10 % and less than 90 %

Ambient temperature between -7 °C and 35 °C

In the event of a positive result, tank-leak diagnosis is started with the reference-leak measurement.

Reference-leak measurement: The tank-venting valve is always closed after the engine is switched off. The changeover valve of
the diagnostic module remains in the regenerating position. The electric vane pump pumps fresh air from the surroundings over
a reference leak of 0.5 mm in diameter. The pump flow required for this is stored as the reference value. This is followed by
the actual tank-leak check.

Tank-leak check: The tank-venting valve remains closed. The changeover valve of the diagnostic module is switched into the
diagnosis position. The vane pump pumps pumps fresh air from the surroundings into the tank, during which the internal tank
pressure increases slowly. At the start of the tank-leak check, the internal tank pressure corresponds to the ambient pressure.
The pump flow is therefore low. It increases as the internal tank pressure rises. The pump flow is evaluated by the DME.

Evaluation of pump flow: The DME evaluates the increase in the pump flow in a defined time interval. If the pump flow exceeds
the reference flow within this time interval, the fuel system is evaluated as OK. Tank-leak diagnosis is terminated. If on the
other hand the pump flow fails to reach the reference flow, the fuel system is evaluated as not OK. Diagnosis permits distinctions
between:

Major leak / missing tank cap

Minor leak

Minimal leak

The relevant fault is entered in the DME fault memory. Tank-leak diagnosis is then terminated.

End of tank-leak diagnosis: The changeover valve is returned to the regenerating position. The DME run-on phase is available
for further functions.

This function can also be initiated actively by means of the DIS Tester. In this case, the processes take place as described
above.

Diagnosis of module components
The components of the tank-leak diagnostic module are diagnosed by the DME. If a relevant fault occurs during engine operation,
a corresponding fault is stored in the DME fault memory. The following faults can be diagnosed:

Activation of solenoid valve

Activation of pump motor

Module fault

Activation of heater for tank-leak diagnostic module

The diagnostic program offers the option of initiating the system test by means of the DIS Tester. In addition, the system
components can be checked individually.
Old 04-03-2010, 07:29 PM
Members

What makes you automatically think the gas tank is leaking? I did google it and the most logical info I came up with is someone with an m5 (not sure if it was an e39 or e60) came up with the same code. It turned out to be his breather valve (has a sensor on it) under the hood and it was a 15 min replacement with a $120 replacement part from the dealer. Not sure if this applies to an e60 545i that's why I'm asking. Highly doubt the gas tank is leaking if that is what you are referring to.
Old 04-04-2010, 06:48 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 540i
Model Year: 2017

Originally Posted by cmoore_
What makes you automatically think the gas tank is leaking? I did google it and the most logical info I came up with is someone with an m5 (not sure if it was an e39 or e60) came up with the same code. It turned out to be his breather valve (has a sensor on it) under the hood and it was a 15 min replacement with a $120 replacement part from the dealer. Not sure if this applies to an e60 545i that's why I'm asking. Highly doubt the gas tank is leaking if that is what you are referring to.
I don't think your tank is leaking. My post was an excerpt from WDS on how the e60 does DMTL/Vapor Leak Diagnostics.
I believe the thread you revived is referring to the tank vent valve that dumps fuel vapor from the tank into the intake.
From what I make of the DMTL the tank vent valve must close, and can't leak(edit: during diagnostics), otherwise the diagnostics fail.
Hopefully your state emissions test affected the DMTL diagnostics and soon it will be back on track with code resets and
continued driving.
Let us know what happens.
Attached Thumbnails P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit -tank_vent-valve.jpg   P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit -tank-vent_valve.jpg  
Old 04-07-2010, 12:49 PM
Members

Update: Reset engine light twice overall and no issues since. I assume it must have had something to do with the emissions test. I will report any additional issues! Gotta love these kinds of fixes
Old 09-19-2010, 10:32 PM
Members

sorry to bring this back up. working on my brother's car that has this scan code error P0444.
has anyone have any success with replacing the breather valve? car is an 05 545i.
i've already replaced the gas cap and did the 2 valve cleaning on both banks, cleared the code but it keeps coming back.

thanks in advance.
Old 09-01-2011, 05:57 AM
Members
Senior Members

My Ride: 05 545i

I'm having same problem. Code comes on. I clear it and it comes back. Then I cleared it and it was gone for a few months. Now it's back on. I cleared it and within a day or two it comes back on. I cleared it last night and I have searched about p0444 but found nothing.
Old 11-03-2011, 03:31 PM
New Members

I have this code on my car P0444 too, its a bollix ...I bought a new purge control valve and put it in, the check eng light is still on, can ANYONE help me sort this out, live in Ireland and in a recession lol, so dont want to go to mechanic. Started doing it for myself.

Any help wud be greatly appreciated.
Old 03-08-2012, 11:44 PM
Members

My Ride: 2004 545i e60
Model Year: 2004
Engine: v8

same problem here

Quick Reply: P0444 Evaporative Emission Control System Purge Control Valve Circuit