E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

P-zero Nero all seasons

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 04:30 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was checking out some new all season tires. I currently have Mich pilot sport a/s which have been great. It is virtually impossible to drift or break traction in a turn-amazing for an a/s tire. However I dont particularly like the tread design and tire wall from the side.

But more importantly they rank 3rd in a/s tires in a few sources and 1st place were the pzero neros. They also look a lot sharper. And also they are only about 160/tire compared to 270 bucks for the michelins. The michelins have also been getting terrible tire tread wear. I only have about 5k and I am down to 4/32s on the backs and 6/32s on the front. They cam with 10/32
Old 10-22-2007, 08:03 PM
Members

I currently have pzero nero on my car. Prior to that, I had ps2 on it. Comparing nero to ps2, I noticed that the ride is bit stiffer and harsher. Since I don't really drive my car aggressively, I can't comment on the grip. However, I suspect that nero is bit less grippy than the ps2. In terms of tread life, I think it is much better than the ps2 probably due to its firmer/harder rubber compound. I have 4000 miles on the neros so far, but I don't have any problems with it.
Old 10-22-2007, 08:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by redwhiteblue' post='484781' date='Oct 22 2007, 06:30 PM
I was checking out some new all season tires. I currently have Mich pilot sport a/s which have been great. It is virtually impossible to drift or break traction in a turn-amazing for an a/s tire. However I dont particularly like the tread design and tire wall from the side.

But more importantly they rank 3rd in a/s tires in a few sources and 1st place were the pzero neros. They also look a lot sharper. And also they are only about 160/tire compared to 270 bucks for the michelins. The michelins have also been getting terrible tire tread wear. I only have about 5k and I am down to 4/32s on the backs and 6/32s on the front. They cam with 10/32
I have been running P-Zero Nero M+S tires for 3 1/2 years (from TireRack). In brief, they are less expensive, firmer, and longer lasting than the PS2's. You will lose a slight amount of wet weather grip, otherwise the differences are mostly monetary.
Old 10-23-2007, 05:39 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E90 330i + E60 550i

overall not a bad tire. ive done a few thousand miles on the e90 with them and have no complaints. havent tried them in the snow, but i wouldnt count on them to get through more than a light snow fall or dusting at best. They are a great compromise between all seasons and summer tires. high po tires are rarely taken advantage of by most drivers on the road, and if you are, you wont be driving long. Im also trying the bridgestone all seasons on the E60, and have been great so far.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:10 AM
Banned

Any better recs for light snow. I live somewhere that maybe gets a few dumps of snow that lasts a couple days on ground. I live in the city so it is cleared quickly but nonetheless will have to be mobile in some snow. Will the nero ms get me through or any better a/s tire for this that is still high performance. Basicallly it is between the F1 a/s, michelin pilot a/s which I have, nero ms, bridgestone a/s or dunlop which I doubt is any good considering they cannot even make a summer tire.
Old 10-23-2007, 06:26 AM
Senior Members

what city are you in, that will help determine what tires to go with
Old 10-23-2007, 07:45 AM
Banned

columbus ohio
Old 10-23-2007, 08:15 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006, US Spec, 530i, Silver Gray, Black leather, Anthricite headliner, Steptronic, Navi Pro, PDC, Comfort Seats, Rear Heated Seats, Rear Shades, Folding Rear Seats, Bluetooth w/Blackberrt Torch, AUX Input, Bi-Xenon, AIB Angel Eyes w/matching fogs, summer wheels R118 w/PS2 tires, winter wheels R138 w/Michelin PA3 snows

What size tire are we discussing here? The 225-50/17? They are $145.00 for P-Zero & $186.00 for Michelin AS at Tire Rack. These are all saesons tires.

The PS2 is a summer perf tire and would not be good in cold weather anyway!
Old 10-23-2007, 10:14 AM
Banned

it is a 245/40/18-the OE on a sport E60 other than the new 550. The price diff is near 70 bucks per tire comparing mich pil sport a/s to nero M +S. I should have been more clear-it is not the pzero nero but the nero MS which is their all season line. Actually has exact same tread pattern as the summer tire but is a different compound made for tolerating cold weather however that makes me think of the tread is the same as a summer tread design it may not be all that great in wet or snow.

Tire rack rated it number 1 but that is because it basically performed like a summer tire and outperformed all the other a/s tires in dry testing. It actually faired the worst in wet weather testing I believe. No specific snow testing was done.

Basically I need a tire that will not get me killed in a few dumps of snow. Overall not much snow falls-however it needs to be an a/s tire to tolerate the coldness but other than that even the complete summer tires I used to have which were crap did fine in the rain so rain is never really an issue for me. Its surviving those few snow days every year and not killing myself.
Old 10-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Senior Members

columbus can get heavy snow, so without real all seasons or winter tires, you will find yourself in precarious situations. Even last year, there were a number of heavy snowfalls that I would never venture out in a rwd bmw unless it had WINTER tires on it. You might be better off with a cheap dedicated setup to put on when the snow gets heavy. Anything light, less than .5", you should be ok wtih performance all season tires.

Quick Reply: P-zero Nero all seasons