E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Overheating issue, please help

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2023, 01:04 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E60 LCI BMW 530i Petrol 3.0 litre N53 engine
Default Overheating issue, please help

Hello gurus,

Need some advice. My since apologies for a long post and wanted to describe in details so people have clear idea what has been done and what is the issue could be.

BMW 5 series 530i, E60 LCI, N53 engine 3 litre petrol, auto, UK/Europe

I had some recent issues with car which started with overheating warning/alert. Then it started making some notice. Car hasn’t been driven while overheated.

One mechanic changed the drive belt tensioner with pulley, alternator and thermostat.

Car was still heating and mechanic believes that it’s head gasket gone/going bad and needs replacing as a steam like white smoke has been observed from exhaust and engine was getting very hot and so the return coolant pipe to the point untouchable. Diagnostics was showing water pump missing codes. Here car would get overheated at times mostly in around 4-5 miles but sometime would be able to cover 9-10 miles without overheating signs. I guess at this point pump may be temperamental to run sometime only or stop inbetween.

Another mechanic had a looked and he says that he did a chemical test and says head gasket is ok. On his diagnostics, also water pump was shown missing before clearing codes and after. He suggested changing the water pump.

At this point, car was losing the coolant, and dripping coolant was easily visible under the car just below where the coolant tank is on driver side.

New pump has been put in by first mechanic who replaced the other parts, and he says pump is running ok and coolant is being circulated. He saw air bubbles being produced in coolant and it was flowing out makes him believes that it’s the head gasket is the concern.

I drove back 9-10 miles back with no overheating sign. Noted that coolant leak has stopped completely. However, coolant return pipe was really hot. After stopping the car, after opening the bonnet, I could hear sound at coolant tank cap, as if there is lot of air inside and trying to leak out, like steam comes out from a cooker and that was for 7-10 minutes.

Is it really a head gasket?

If it is, is it recommended to use Head Gasket / coolant sealant out there to seal gaps / cracks in gasket or engine block?

If it is recommended, are there bad impact from use of head gasket sealant? And last but not least, which one is best to use as there are so many out there.

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards,

Bobby

Old 08-27-2023, 04:22 PM
Super Moderator

Received 324 Likes on 311 Posts
My Ride: 05 530i M54
Model Year: 05 530i
Engine: 3.0 M54

Count the engine a loss if you don't have a visible leak. At some point it was driven too hot and these aluminum engines do not like heat at all. There's no such thing as a sealant that will work. That's just something to make someone else get rich and the poor get poorer. Cheaper to go buy another E60 at this point.

Last edited by seanjordan20; 08-27-2023 at 04:47 PM.