E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Overheating 535D ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 12:51 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by New535' date='Mar 2 2005, 10:20 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Mar 2 2005, 04:05 PM'][quote name='JBOO' date='Feb 26 2005, 01:37 AM']I've noticed a few times during certain throttle points that it seems like my transmission is slipping.? Could be just it's just searching for the gear or something, but I've never noticed it in other automatices.? Of course, they never had this much torque either.??

Have you noticed this Yves D?

Also, what type of MPG are you getting?? I can't seem to get over 25-26.
[snapback]94570[/snapback]

In reply to you all,

Dealer had the car all day yesterday and went through all the diagnostic checks etc etc, couldnt find anything wrong. The smell was attributed to either excess wax burning off the engine or a horse turd they found wedged between the exhuast pipes and the underside of the car ! I kid you not.

Now this is good news in a way but frustrating in another because the issues are still there ( not smelled for a day or two though ).

Some of what Im feeling is transmission related, it hunts for gears at times, lurches out of junctions as the tranny catches up with the revs, holds on to gears too long sometimes, finds a too high a gear bomb hole at others and generally doesnt feel very slick for a car of this price and repuatation.

Thing is, this is a recent occurence and wasnt like this when factory fresh.

To frustrate matters further, my Dealer only has one M5 confirmed for this year ( I have one on order ) and if he cant get me one by Set 05, Im off to Porsche for a 997S !.

Off for a long drive tomorrow so I can analyse the cars behaviour a bit more and try a few things.

Regards

Yves
[snapback]96177[/snapback]
[/quote]

997S now there's an amazing car - the tiptronic box is just out of this world - shame the seats aren't bigger

[snapback]96186[/snapback]
[/quote]

Test drove the manual version a few weeks ago. Superb.

Will be a hard decision to leave BMW after a few years, two of which with the fabulous E46 M3.

Whats a chap to do ?
Old 03-04-2005, 06:53 AM
Members

My Ride: 535 D - to be delivered end Feb 2005 - color E08 - comfort seats - executive leather balck - 122 wheels - dynamic drive - active steering - pack luxe - tecnology pack - moon roof - 6CD player - hifi system - spare wheel - BT phone

Mine just smell this morning after a 10 km short trip at no more than 70 kph.

As you I was worried, so I drove it for a 40 minutes more...

It was not smelling anymore and I do not see fire out of my parking lot!!!.

I agree with you that the geerbox is slipping quite a lot in 1st and 2 nd gear...

Please update me.
Old 03-04-2005, 07:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by Yves D' date='Mar 2 2005, 04:51 PM
[quote name='New535' date='Mar 2 2005, 10:20 PM'][quote name='Guest' date='Mar 2 2005, 04:05 PM'][quote name='JBOO' date='Feb 26 2005, 01:37 AM']I've noticed a few times during certain throttle points that it seems like my transmission is slipping.? Could be just it's just searching for the gear or something, but I've never noticed it in other automatices.? Of course, they never had this much torque either.??

Have you noticed this Yves D?

Also, what type of MPG are you getting?? I can't seem to get over 25-26.
[snapback]94570[/snapback]

In reply to you all,

Dealer had the car all day yesterday and went through all the diagnostic checks etc etc, couldnt find anything wrong. The smell was attributed to either excess wax burning off the engine or a horse turd they found wedged between the exhuast pipes and the underside of the car ! I kid you not.

Now this is good news in a way but frustrating in another because the issues are still there ( not smelled for a day or two though ).

Some of what Im feeling is transmission related, it hunts for gears at times, lurches out of junctions as the tranny catches up with the revs, holds on to gears too long sometimes, finds a too high a gear bomb hole at others and generally doesnt feel very slick for a car of this price and repuatation.

Thing is, this is a recent occurence and wasnt like this when factory fresh.

To frustrate matters further, my Dealer only has one M5 confirmed for this year ( I have one on order ) and if he cant get me one by Set 05, Im off to Porsche for a 997S !.

Off for a long drive tomorrow so I can analyse the cars behaviour a bit more and try a few things.

Regards

Yves
[snapback]96177[/snapback]
[/quote]

997S now there's an amazing car - the tiptronic box is just out of this world - shame the seats aren't bigger

[snapback]96186[/snapback]
[/quote]

Test drove the manual version a few weeks ago. Superb.

Will be a hard decision to leave BMW after a few years, two of which with the fabulous E46 M3.

Whats a chap to do ?
[snapback]96204[/snapback]
[/quote]

test drive the tiptronic box - you won't regret it - personally with a box like that there really is no reason to even consider the manual - best of both worlds - amazingly quick shifts when you want them and no clutch hogging in traffic - very smooth auto mode. Then just go and get a trailer for the kids
Old 03-05-2005, 12:54 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Yves D' date='Feb 24 2005, 09:45 PM
How many more BM3W'ers on here ??

Yves
[snapback]93969[/snapback]
Good to hear the car appears OK
Old 03-05-2005, 02:10 AM

Hi SG 535D
just a few questions about the speedbuster tuning - It seems a reasonable price Euro 722?

Any impact on economy?
Can it be removed ?
Where did you have it fitted?
Are you anxious about engine reliability?
Have you had this done to previous cars?
Recommend it ?
Old 03-05-2005, 08:52 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 5 2005, 12:10 PM
Hi SG 535D
just a few questions about the speedbuster tuning - It seems a reasonable price Euro 722?

1. Any impact on economy?
2. Can it be removed ?
3. Where did you have it fitted?
4. Are you anxious about engine reliability?
5. Have you had this done to previous cars?
6. Recommend it ?
[snapback]97505[/snapback]
1. Improved - slightly
2. Yes - but takes a little time. Not something I'd want to try away from home because of the connection at the rear cylinder
3. In my driveway by myself
4. Nope
5. Yip - two previous cars, 330d and A4 1.9TDi. Over 180,000 miles with tuning boxes so far and no problems (albeit the last two cars were fitted with devices from www.tuningbox.com)
6. Yes