E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Overheating 535D ?

Search this Thread

Old 02-24-2005, 12:56 PM
G.Paolo

Originally Posted by Yves D' date='Feb 23 2005, 09:26 AM
Guys,

New to this forum but was recommended by a friend from BM3W in the UK.

I have one of the first 535d's to arrive in the UK ( Nov 04 ) and upon arriving home last night, got out of the car to smell either very hot plastics or metal coming from under the bonnet. The wife thought it was going to catch fire as the smell filled the house !

There was an uncharacteristic 'whooshing noise' preceeding this too.

Suspect the turbo's, anyone had any experience of blown turbos on these motors or anything similar to what I have experienced ?

Look forward to hearing from you

Regards

Yves
[snapback]93469[/snapback]
Old 02-24-2005, 01:01 PM

Yves,

could it be the defective injection pump supplied by Bosch over Nov-Dec 2004?

I understand BMW is recalling several 535d manufactured in that period from all across Europe. Check out this link for more info:

http://www.channel4.com/4car/news/news-sto...p?news_id=11729

Cheers
Old 02-25-2005, 11:03 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Feb 24 2005, 11:01 PM
Yves,

I understand BMW is recalling several 535d manufactured in that period from all across Europe. Check out this link for more info:

Cheers
[snapback]94000[/snapback]
Unlikely as it was built Oct 04.

I will know next tuesday when the dealer has had a good poke round it.
Old 02-25-2005, 11:23 AM
Members

Originally Posted by Yves D' date='Feb 25 2005, 09:03 PM
[quote name='Guest' date='Feb 24 2005, 11:01 PM']Yves,

Cheers

[snapback]94370[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just to caveat that, the sensations I am getting from the engine do suggest a 'fueling issue' come to think of it.

Hmmm, interesting.
Old 02-25-2005, 09:37 PM
Senior Members

I've noticed a few times during certain throttle points that it seems like my transmission is slipping. Could be just it's just searching for the gear or something, but I've never noticed it in other automatices. Of course, they never had this much torque either.

Have you noticed this Yves D?

Also, what type of MPG are you getting? I can't seem to get over 25-26.
Old 02-26-2005, 05:16 AM
Senior Members

JBOO,
I agree with you even though I have the 530D, it has the same transmission.
BMW have replaced the transmission, installed a new DDE module and an as yet un-released version of the gearbox software (will probably appear in CIP 16.x) from ZF.
Still experience the slipping feeling from time to time and the lazy acceleration just before coasting to a stop is worse than before.
Old 02-28-2005, 05:06 AM
GP

Originally Posted by Yves D' date='Feb 25 2005, 03:23 PM
[quote name='Yves D' date='Feb 25 2005, 09:03 PM'][quote name='Guest' date='Feb 24 2005, 11:01 PM']Yves,

Cheers

[snapback]94370[/snapback]
[/quote]

Just to caveat that, the sensations I am getting from the engine do suggest a 'fueling issue' come to think of it.

Hmmm, interesting.
[snapback]94374[/snapback]
[/quote]

let me know the dealer's verdict. i'm interested to know
Old 03-02-2005, 02:38 AM
Senior Members

welcome aboard, yves d !
Old 03-02-2005, 12:05 PM

Originally Posted by JBOO' date='Feb 26 2005, 01:37 AM
I've noticed a few times during certain throttle points that it seems like my transmission is slipping.? Could be just it's just searching for the gear or something, but I've never noticed it in other automatices.? Of course, they never had this much torque either.?

Also, what type of MPG are you getting?? I can't seem to get over 25-26.
[snapback]94570[/snapback]

In reply to you all,

Dealer had the car all day yesterday and went through all the diagnostic checks etc etc, couldnt find anything wrong. The smell was attributed to either excess wax burning off the engine or a horse turd they found wedged between the exhuast pipes and the underside of the car ! I kid you not.

Now this is good news in a way but frustrating in another because the issues are still there ( not smelled for a day or two though ).

Some of what Im feeling is transmission related, it hunts for gears at times, lurches out of junctions as the tranny catches up with the revs, holds on to gears too long sometimes, finds a too high a gear bomb hole at others and generally doesnt feel very slick for a car of this price and repuatation.

Thing is, this is a recent occurence and wasnt like this when factory fresh.

To frustrate matters further, my Dealer only has one M5 confirmed for this year ( I have one on order ) and if he cant get me one by Set 05, Im off to Porsche for a 997S !.

Off for a long drive tomorrow so I can analyse the cars behaviour a bit more and try a few things.

Regards

Yves
Old 03-02-2005, 12:20 PM
Members

My Ride: 535d Sport (M sport steering, M sport sills, M sport suspension, 18inch M style wheels) Carbon black, black nasca, dark wood, dechromed, folding mirrors, extended lights, sun protect glazing, grad tinted winscreen, servotronic steering, heated, ventilated active comfort seats, extended voice control, hi-fi speakers, hud, active cruise, split folding rear seats, rear electric blind, rear manual blinds visbility pack (xenons, adaptive headlights), media pack (6 CD, prof nav, bluetooth with telematics and assist)

Originally Posted by Guest' date='Mar 2 2005, 04:05 PM
[quote name='JBOO' date='Feb 26 2005, 01:37 AM']I've noticed a few times during certain throttle points that it seems like my transmission is slipping.? Could be just it's just searching for the gear or something, but I've never noticed it in other automatices.? Of course, they never had this much torque either.??

Also, what type of MPG are you getting?? I can't seem to get over 25-26.
[snapback]94570[/snapback]

In reply to you all,

Dealer had the car all day yesterday and went through all the diagnostic checks etc etc, couldnt find anything wrong. The smell was attributed to either excess wax burning off the engine or a horse turd they found wedged between the exhuast pipes and the underside of the car ! I kid you not.

Now this is good news in a way but frustrating in another because the issues are still there ( not smelled for a day or two though ).

Some of what Im feeling is transmission related, it hunts for gears at times, lurches out of junctions as the tranny catches up with the revs, holds on to gears too long sometimes, finds a too high a gear bomb hole at others and generally doesnt feel very slick for a car of this price and repuatation.

Thing is, this is a recent occurence and wasnt like this when factory fresh.

To frustrate matters further, my Dealer only has one M5 confirmed for this year ( I have one on order ) and if he cant get me one by Set 05, Im off to Porsche for a 997S !.

Off for a long drive tomorrow so I can analyse the cars behaviour a bit more and try a few things.

Regards

Yves
[snapback]96177[/snapback]
[/quote]

997S now there's an amazing car - the tiptronic box is just out of this world - shame the seats aren't bigger

Quick Reply: Overheating 535D ?