E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Outside rearview mirror uncommanded move

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2007, 10:30 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i ALS, Nav, Cold Weather package, Premium package, Logic 7

US 2008 535i (5,000 miles) - the right side outside mirror seems to have a favorite position it returns to. I can't figure out what is going on. It is hard to describe, but here goes. For the right outside mirror I have the dipping function turned off - this is the function where the mirror moves downward when the car is put into reverse. I set the mirror using the control buttons on the left arm rest on the door. I push the memory button on the seat and select #1. I also get out of the car and lock it with the key fob. That is the set up.

I can't pin down when the mirror moves from the position I set, but when it does it moves up and in a little. I'll notice that while driving, or when I get into the car. After it has moved if I press and hold the #1 memory button on the seat, that mirror will move back to the position I set it at. Later at some point in time it will change position again. This can happen during the same driving session or after locking and leaving the car then returning.

Also the folding and unfolding of the outside mirrors does not seem to have any effect on the position - i.e., if the position is correct and I fold the mirrors then unfold them the same position is retained.

Has anyone experienced a problem like this?
Old 11-05-2007, 11:29 AM
Members

Yeah mine does the same thing, exactly how you describe it. I've just become used to pressing the memory1 button to correct it, it's probably some kind of glitch in the software.
Old 11-05-2007, 11:30 AM
AMP
Members

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='490348' date='Nov 5 2007, 12:30 PM
I have the exact same issue with my '06 550i, but I have it with both mirrors (never at the same time, though). I keep hoping that a software update will address the problem, but so far I haven't had any luck. The car is going back soon as the lease is up so I just don't care anymore. Good to know that I may be able to look forward to the same behavior in my '08

My dealer is stumped and cannot replicate the problem.

The memory settings on the seat always put it back in the right place, but it seems that the car & key memory functions occasionally want to put it into a strange position.

My solution has been to hit the #1 button on the seat every time I notice that the mirror is out of whack.
Old 11-16-2007, 07:11 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by tprindle' post='490348' date='Nov 5 2007, 03:30 PM
US 2008 535i (5,000 miles) - the right side outside mirror seems to have a favorite position it returns to. I can't figure out what is going on. It is hard to describe, but here goes. For the right outside mirror I have the dipping function turned off - this is the function where the mirror moves downward when the car is put into reverse. I set the mirror using the control buttons on the left arm rest on the door. I push the memory button on the seat and select #1. I also get out of the car and lock it with the key fob. That is the set up.

I can't pin down when the mirror moves from the position I set, but when it does it moves up and in a little. I'll notice that while driving, or when I get into the car. After it has moved if I press and hold the #1 memory button on the seat, that mirror will move back to the position I set it at. Later at some point in time it will change position again. This can happen during the same driving session or after locking and leaving the car then returning.

Also the folding and unfolding of the outside mirrors does not seem to have any effect on the position - i.e., if the position is correct and I fold the mirrors then unfold them the same position is retained.

I'm with BMW of North America, LLC. I've passed this message on to a BMW NA Customer Relations Representative who will be in touch with you soon.