E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Out of warranty repairs....

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2013, 03:29 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Out of warranty repairs....

So took the car in recently (08 535xi) and had the first major work done, and then stuff like the oil change and a standard vehicle scope.
Then the real stuff hit. The car has been resetting date and time after four days of not being used. Could be the weather, as it seems that the cold brings this about and I really don't see this between May and November during the year. But they're saying the battery was testing bad (original from 08) and then that the cost was $375 for a new one installed.

On top of that, there was the suggestion for "Transmission Fluid leaking from trans connector sleeve/seal" that was another $525 installed.

The oil change was $100 and the "vehicle scope" crap was another $62, but this brings the total to about $1100. Any suggestions on what to do regarding the battery and what this trans. fluid leak means and how it should be dealt with?

I always knew this day would come, when the four-year warranty was done, and I always want to get the tools and learn how to do an oil change on these cars, at the very least. But now I'm just in a state of shock. I know these cars are expensive to maintain, but I'm not car-smart enough to know if the $tealership is being honest or not.

Also, I was suggested to look into independent shops. Anyone know of any good ones in the Southern Chicago suburbs? I was told they were cheaper, but the problem is finding "reputable" ones.

Last edited by E60714; 01-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:51 PM
Members

I went through the same repairs with my 2008 528xi. The trans leak (Mechatronics seal) cost me close to $700 to be replaced, I just had the battery done a month ago - it was $500 installed & reprogrammed. The $100 oil change is about right, you can save about $40 doing it yourself. They are great cars, but the repair costs are tough to swallow. You will need the valve cover gasket replaced before long, that will be another $700. There will also be a leak at the oil filterhead / cylinder head interface, that will cost another $300.

I talked to an independent I met in Quebec on a snowmobile trip last year, he works on Audi, BMW, Mercedes. He told me if it kills you to spend a couple thousand on repairs for your high end car, you should be driving a Chevy or Ford. That put it in perspective for me.

Scott
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 535i sport

How long has your warranty been expired? Try to talk to your service advisor about a good will repair. The battery price is about right, i just paid $400 for mine to get installed and programed.
Old 01-08-2013, 03:58 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 550i Jet Black on Black Leather, SAT with Paddles, Logic 7, Comfort Seats, NAV, Sport Package, PDC, Xenons, Sirius, Trinity 12W LED Angel Eyes, RPi GT Exhaust, M rear spoiler, ACS Roof Spoiler, Tinted Tail Lights, Bimmian Carbon Fiber Pillar Trim, Bimmian Shadow 550i emblem, RPi Scoop, E60 Forum Cling, Mtec bulbs in fog lights, Mtec 2W LED for License Plate Light Bulbs, K&N Filter, Bimmian LED Smoked Side Markers, Blackout roundels, Carbon Fiber Kidney Grills. Retired Rides - 1989 325i convertible, 1995 M3, 2002 X5, 2005 545i, 2008 X5 (Lemon)

I always say "Never drive a BMW out of warranty" and this is (unfortunately) why! Without a major repair, you are already into the dealer for $1,100. I know it's too late, but when the warranty is nearly up, that's the time to get a new warranty and BEFORE the old one expires (then it is MUCH more expensive). I went through this a few years ago and had a repair bill that was too much for the car to be repaired. We traded it in on another car on the lot that day! Talk about expensive repairs! For those of you reading this if you need a warranty, I have a friend at Mercury Insurance who sells a warranty that covers more than the BMW warranty and is less expensive too. PM me for his number! To the OP, good luck with your car and keep us informed as to what you end up doing!
Old 01-08-2013, 04:17 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by E60714
So took the car in recently (08 535xi) and had the first major work done, and then stuff like the oil change and a standard vehicle scope.
Then the real stuff hit. The car has been resetting date and time after four days of not being used. Could be the weather, as it seems that the cold brings this about and I really don't see this between May and November during the year. But they're saying the battery was testing bad (original from 08) and then that the cost was $375 for a new one installed.

On top of that, there was the suggestion for "Transmission Fluid leaking from trans connector sleeve/seal" that was another $525 installed.

The oil change was $100 and the "vehicle scope" crap was another $62, but this brings the total to about $1100. Any suggestions on what to do regarding the battery and what this trans. fluid leak means and how it should be dealt with?

I always knew this day would come, when the four-year warranty was done, and I always want to get the tools and learn how to do an oil change on these cars, at the very least. But now I'm just in a state of shock. I know these cars are expensive to maintain, but I'm not car-smart enough to know if the $tealership is being honest or not.

Also, I was suggested to look into independent shops. Anyone know of any good ones in the Southern Chicago suburbs? I was told they were cheaper, but the problem is finding "reputable" ones.
The dealership is not dishonest about what you need. They connect a cable to your car or push your key into a reader and just tell you what the car/computer tells them. Or they they look around with a checklist and see whats broken. This is their business and they charge ~$150/hr to do the same thing that can be done for $50/hr or even less.

The battery is a easy DIY. There are a few interstate/duracell/advancedautoparts batteries that work fine with our car. I have one that I bought for $100 and installed myself. Took 20 minutes. Did not register etc but saved $400 easy there.

Read this regarding the trans sleeve leak http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...26&postcount=8 and https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...on-leak-96033/
Basically its a labor intensive process. Find a good guy around town who can do it for much less. The parts are pretty cheap - it's the labor that is pushing the price up.

Your car will be fine. I have a 08 535XI and have done a few maintenance stuff but am running fine at 104K and will be keeping the car for another couple of years without a doubt.

Last edited by sahiljain22; 01-08-2013 at 04:26 PM.
Old 01-08-2013, 04:58 PM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

That price for a battery is not that bad considering I have the same car and they wanted 654.00 to change and code it!!! I went to Autozone and they installed it for around 150.00, It's there gold version and just make sure the cranking amps are the same on the label. Seven year warranty, no coding or registering, If it goes bad they will replac it. Not sure about the trans leak. Do you see anything wet under the car or on the ground?
Old 01-08-2013, 05:31 PM
Senior Members

Thanks for the info, guys. The four years was up July of 2012. As far as warranties go, I should have renewed, but never was given the option (I figured something would come in the mail, or service rep would offer). Should have done the leg work myself.

I guess I'll pony up for it and look into finding a warranty elsewhere. Good (and bad) to hear that I'm not the only one with these issues. The car still drives like a dream, it just said it needed an oil change, which is why I brought it in. Didn't expect a few more issues to stem out of that.

Say I were to find a compatible battery, there's the issue of "reprogramming" or something similar. Not something I can do on my own? I ask not to save $100-200 on the car, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty a bit too.
Old 01-08-2013, 05:39 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by E60714
Thanks for the info, guys. The four years was up July of 2012. As far as warranties go, I should have renewed, but never was given the option (I figured something would come in the mail, or service rep would offer). Should have done the leg work myself.

I guess I'll pony up for it and look into finding a warranty elsewhere. Good (and bad) to hear that I'm not the only one with these issues. The car still drives like a dream, it just said it needed an oil change, which is why I brought it in. Didn't expect a few more issues to stem out of that.

Say I were to find a compatible battery, there's the issue of "reprogramming" or something similar. Not something I can do on my own? I ask not to save $100-200 on the car, but I don't mind getting my hands dirty a bit too.
Replaced my battery on my old 545i myself no coding was done. Ran fine to me honestly I believe 950 CCA's is required for our cars
Old 01-08-2013, 10:11 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535xi

Originally Posted by Isaiah_Charles
Replaced my battery on my old 545i myself no coding was done. Ran fine to me honestly I believe 950 CCA's is required for our cars
+1

The programming part is not critical. It will reduce the 4-5 year life of your battery by a bit by not charging it optimally.. if you care about it. Won't affect the car in any way.

Here is the battery I used that is definitely compatible with an 08 535XI:
AutoCraft SilverBattery, Group Size 93, 850 CCA Part No 93-1

OEM Battery is Duralast Gold/Battery 95R-DLG which can be found for $160-$180 at Autozone.

Other compatible batteries: https://5series.net/forums/diy-do-yo...attery-117656/

Last edited by sahiljain22; 01-08-2013 at 10:19 PM.
Old 01-09-2013, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 2008 535i LCI with sports/premium package, Sports trans with paddle shifters, CF emblems, JB4 Software, Dinan Exhaust, Navigation, M5Tech body kit, Carbon wrap interrior trim and CIC Controller.

+ 1 on the battery, I hear an Indy will often program/register it for 50 or so. Maybe a piece of mind? The only possible down side if you get the same battery is that the life will be shortened a little. Mine has a seven year warranty and I can tell you for sure I will not have this car in seven years. So if it prematurely fails, then I just take it back and get a new one. You can also post your location and you might find someone in your area from the forum that has the software and an help you.

Quick Reply: Out of warranty repairs....