E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Order replaced, another long wait begins

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2004, 08:42 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

I replaced my order of 545i with SMG today. It is a bit complicated but it might be helpful for the people who is about to place an order but still wonder to pick up proper options now. Here is my story.
I placed my order of 545iA in back to Sep/M with several options. Main points were Steptronic with non-sports package. I thought at that time that I did not want to get bumpy harsh ride with sports and RFT but did want to have comfortable and luxury ride with non-sports and normal tires. I still wanted to try test driving of sports and non-package with 545 then, but they did not have any 545 then. I searched another dealerships as well as e60.net in these two months and found that sports package is one of the essential part of 545 with very high performance engine.

One the other hand, once I decided my mind with sports, next question is what the best tansmission for V8 engine is. I had a chance to get a test driving of M3 last weekend in different dealership. I have just 1-2 years experience in manual shift in my young age, but I've been driving automatic for more than 20 years. To make the story short, I got how to handle and really love it. There was no shift shock above 2nd with slight pedal off after pushing a paddle. It was a bit busy in corner with shifting, but was almost like a racing drive and I could almost same speed and quick shift as my SA.

One concern is how to persuade my wife because she does not want to drive with manual shift. I tried SMG-automatic mode in M3. I feel it works! If you push the pedal a bit hard, you will find the response is harsh and jurky. But once I push a pedal softly, the gear shift is very smooth without any shock at all. Of course, the shift speed and car response is very slow, but it is good enough to persuade my wife, I think. This, I believe, is the best option to extract full potentiality of BMW V8 engine. Now, my favorite choice goes to SMG.

My SA could get a production slot right before starting in the line, so my new car will be in the production in the next week. The status is in 112 already. I would expect to get my new 545 SMG in Jan/M. Now my another long wait begins, but I am pretty happy with it because I almost got my perfect choice finally.
Old 11-23-2004, 09:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Very nice! Good choice!
Old 11-23-2004, 09:41 PM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

You won't regret it!
Old 11-24-2004, 12:42 AM
Senior Members

hope your wife won't make to change back to steptronic .
Old 11-24-2004, 06:10 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i SMG. Titanium Grey with Grey interior and Anthracite wood.

Congrats! I optioned my 545 similar. I love it and so will you. The SMG is great!!
Old 11-24-2004, 06:35 AM
Members

SMG will be well worth the wait. Every time I drive my car it gets better
Old 11-24-2004, 06:38 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

ZC ED545, no offense to Lomag but you gotta love your "from" entry in your profile..."moving ASAP"
Old 11-24-2004, 12:42 PM
Members

Thanks for your warm words.
Am I nut? Yes. There is nobody who gives up with a new car right before getting in!! The lesson I learned is I should have decided concretely before placing an order. I was so rushing to place it then.
What made me change? Two thing. One is of course, this e60.net!!! I did not know the whole BMW world before. The other is my wife. She was pushing my back and said, " do not think about us, but get what you really want to".
Hope she does not say, "I want to drive an aoutomatic."
Old 11-24-2004, 12:46 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ornament' date='Nov 24 2004, 11:42 AM
The other is my wife. She was pushing my back and said, " do not think about us, but get what you really want to".
[snapback]60395[/snapback]
oh, you think she really means it ? don't you know women's mouths & minds are not connected ?
Old 11-24-2004, 04:18 PM
Members

Originally Posted by alohalc' date='Nov 24 2004, 02:46 PM
[quote name='ornament' date='Nov 24 2004, 11:42 AM']The other is my wife. She was pushing my back and said, " do not think about us, but get what you really want to".
[snapback]60395[/snapback]
oh, you think she really means it ? don't you know women's mouths & minds are not connected ?
[snapback]60398[/snapback]
[/quote]
Yeah, if I would be a good teacher and she feels a piece of exitement driving SMG pretty quickly, then her mouth connects to her mind. Ultimate driving!!
Believe me, I am a good instructor

Quick Reply: Order replaced, another long wait begins