E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Optional extra friendly UK insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 02:33 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: E61 525D M Sport, Carbon Black, Black Dakota Leather

Admiral definately dont cover optional alloys, when I had my 320D SE with optional alloys (from the factory not the dealer) they threatened to cancel my policy when I mentioned them on a call about something else. Eventually they agreed to carry on cover but specifically excluded the wheels. For this reason I wont go back to them. Bell are the same co. with the same rules. Seems ludicrous to me, but insurance is a business where:

1. you're legally required to buy the product they sell
2. there are no standards.
3. they can make up any rules they like

Can you tell I'm not a fan?
Old 06-05-2009, 12:05 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 07 E61 530d M-Sport.

After going around all the normal companies. Admiral/elephant, Privalidge, direct line etc the only one I found who didnt care about any factory fitted options were www.lv.com. They said that as long as It came from BMW like that in the first place it was all covered, the price wasnt disimilar to the others without anything declared either.
Old 06-05-2009, 11:35 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Dandle' post='901541' date='Jun 5 2009, 09:05 AM
After going around all the normal companies. Admiral/elephant, Privalidge, direct line etc the only one I found who didnt care about any factory fitted options were www.lv.com. They said that as long as It came from BMW like that in the first place it was all covered, the price wasnt disimilar to the others without anything declared either.
Thanks for the info. I rang Admiral earlier today and they said that optional extras were included in the standard premium and I only need to pay for after market modifications. I rang them back this evening and they then confirmed that the person I spoke to earlier got it wrong. Admiral do not cover any car that has more than 3 modifications or optional extras. Thanks to the muppet I spoke to, I've just wasted 2 hours.

Same story with many other insurance companies. The following seem to not care about optional extras:
Performance Direct, Norwich Union, Adrian Flux and Liverpool Victoria. I was getting quotes between ?1200 to ?1400 which was extortionate. I'm 29 years old with 4 years NCB. Managed to get LV just below ?1000 but even that is really really high.

However, at least I know that my optional extras for the car are covered in the event of a claim and also my after market modifications (M Rear spoiler and SAT retro fit).