E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Optional extra friendly UK insurance companies

Search this Thread

Old 06-04-2009, 09:08 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can anyone tell me any UK car insurance companies that do not charge any extra for optional extras fitted cars at factory? Thanks
Old 06-04-2009, 09:15 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Not sure that any do charge extra.

I have never declared any factory or dealer options that were fitted to my car at time of delivery by dealer.

Happy to be proved wrong by anybody who has had a claim issue.

Aftermarket extras are a different matter.
Old 06-04-2009, 09:28 AM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by KAF' post='900835' date='Jun 4 2009, 06:15 PM
Not sure that any do charge extra.

I have never declared any factory or dealer options that were fitted to my car at time of delivery by dealer.

Happy to be proved wrong by anybody who has had a claim issue.

Aftermarket extras are a different matter.
This is where it gets weird. Confused.com has a tick box to say if the car is Modified or not. Their explanation of modified is "Modifications are non-standard changes made to the car after manufacture, such as new spoilers, alloy wheels, exhaust pipes, changes to the engine capacity etc." Which implies that optional extras are not modifications.

However, if you say yes to it being modified, you get a list of modifications and one of them is: "Alloy Wheels (Optional extra)". Why is this a modification?

Also, is it a modification if you do a retrospective addition which was an optional extra e.g. the BMW M Spoiler?
Old 06-04-2009, 10:15 AM
Senior Members

I was told by Norwich Union that factory options were covered as standard, they only charge extra when you have fitted it yourself after buying the car. I was ?360 for my insurance this year also covering my new body kit.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:02 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 520D SE Auto

Im through a Northern Ireland insurer. But I have taxi insurance and they allowed my M5 wheels at no extra cost.

Yes my fiver is a taxi
Old 06-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by NOBLE' post='900972' date='Jun 4 2009, 02:02 PM
Im through a Northern Ireland insurer. But I have taxi insurance and they allowed my M5 wheels at no extra cost.

Yes my fiver is a taxi
You must love your job , getting to drive such a nice car all day. Cool wheels .
Old 06-04-2009, 01:43 PM
Senior Members

I'm starting to lose hope. There are some insurance companies that cover optional extras and modifications but only when you get to the end of the online quote forms do they say that in the event of a claim, they will only cover the original standard cost of the car. Does anyone else find this completely ridiculous?

They charge extra for having options extras but then do not pay out for them? Why the hell are they charging more for having those extra options if they are not going to cover them

Norwich Union are quoting me an extortionate amount even though I've got a completely clean record and have 4 years NCB. Cheapest places seem to be Admiral and Elephant but I think they do not cover the optional extras.

I think Adrian Flux might cover optional extras but they don't have an online quote system so will have to try them tomorrow. Anyone else have any 1st hand recommendations?
Old 06-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Senior Members

These guys get away with far too much, I had the same problem recently when my existing insurer Direct Line added an extra ?100 to my renewal and increased my excess to ?600 because I added a Msport body kit.

I tried loads of companies who charged extra but then refused to cover the mod in the event of a accident, I guess i was lucky with NU. I was told by the NU adviser that i didnt have to declare extras that had been added to the car at the factory they were automatically covered, i only had to declare mods that were added after the car left the factory like my Msport kit. Get a copy of the car spec from your dealer for proof if anything happens, contact NU again to seek clarification you should not need to specify if they were fitted in the factory and BMW records show this.

I may be wrong but thats what they told me on the live chat which I saved a copy of.

"Robert: I have a question regarding modifications.
Martin: That's fine, go ahead and I'll try and assist you.
Robert: are options that came with the car from new at the dealership also covered.
Martin: If there are optional extras that were opted for when the car was manufactured from the dealer, we won't need to note these as modifications. They will automatically be covered as normal under our policy."

Good luck mate, hope this helps.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by Bob525D' post='901132' date='Jun 4 2009, 11:04 PM
These guys get away with far too much, I had the same problem recently when my existing insurer Direct Line added an extra ?100 to my renewal and increased my excess to ?600 because I added a Msport body kit.

I tried loads of companies who charged extra but then refused to cover the mod in the event of a accident, I guess i was lucky with NU. I was told by the NU adviser that i didnt have to declare extras that had been added to the car at the factory they were automatically covered, i only had to declare mods that were added after the car left the factory like my Msport kit. Get a copy of the car spec from your dealer for proof if anything happens, contact NU again to seek clarification you should not need to specify if they were fitted in the factory and BMW records show this.

I may be wrong but thats what they told me on the live chat which I saved a copy of.

"Robert: I have a question regarding modifications.
Martin: That's fine, go ahead and I'll try and assist you.
Robert: are options that came with the car from new at the dealership also covered.
Martin: If there are optional extras that were opted for when the car was manufactured from the dealer, we won't need to note these as modifications. They will automatically be covered as normal under our policy."

Good luck mate, hope this helps.
Thanks for the info. I'll give them a call on the phone lines tomorrow for clarification. Can't find the online chat but there lines are open until 10pm and I will get them to send me the terms and policies or send me an email to state this cover. Thanks.
Old 06-04-2009, 02:15 PM
Senior Members

By the way i am not sure if i stated this but it was Norwich Union i was refering to regarding the chat, the live chat is displayed on the quote page. If you added the factory mods then it might explain why they were expensive, though my body kit didnt seem to add too much.

Quick Reply: Optional extra friendly UK insurance companies