E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Opinions on manual BMW's

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2009, 11:45 AM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 545i Sport loaded

My 545 is auto, and I currently own a 5-spd manual car as my weekend toy. I do SO enjoy shifting gears and being more "in touch" with the driving experience, however, the bimmer is my daily driver. It's VERY difficult to drink a cup of coffee, smoke a cigarette, fiddle with the radio, and shift gears all at the same time. Hence, autobox in the 545.

Even if I didn't have my "toy" car, I don't know what I would have chosen as a tranny. Probably a manual, since I'd drive the 545 harder (I currently reserve the beatings for the weekends).
Old 04-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Members

Originally Posted by porsche911targa' post='847046' date='Apr 14 2009, 02:07 PM
Do you know how lame that sounded? It's like saying, "What's the point in having a brain if you leave part of your mental processing to the computer?" How's that abacus or slide ruler working out for you?

Again, if your opinion is that a manual is better, it does not mean that people who drive automatics are less skilled or "leave part of the driving to the car." Some of us have wives who, no matter what, just won't learn manual or some of us may have back/sciatica problems where we can't constantly push the left pedal, or some of us just got tired of driving manuals as we age and want a more comfortable drive in traffic. I personally have learned to make my auto tranny shift up or down whenever I want just with throttle manipulation and you'd think I was driving a manual, if you were next to me.

BMW's are great cars and they are fun to drive whether they're auto or manual. People should buy whatever transmission suits their needs. If autos are their thing, they should definitely get an auto because once you get the slam issue resolved, a BMW auto tranny shifts like no other brand; quick and smooth as velvet. If you are a manual driver, then manual is what you should stick with.
Lame? Is that the best you can do? Might I assume your P-car is a 5-speed? Maybe you should trade it for Corvette with an automatic! Although I must confess my wife loves driving our 5-speed Porsche almost as much as the 6-speed wagon. I don't need a slide rule or an abacus... although I do enjoy quick math just using my brain instead of having the little black box do it. I also enjoy using my brain, my feet, and my hands when I drive. Maybe when I feel old like you do I'll want an automatic in my ultimate driving machine.

Maybe people that enjoy brewing their own beer will switch to Coor's Light too. Maybe guys that like grilling their own steaks would rather sit in a resturant and poke at a boring salad waiting for their pre-cooked meat to arrive. Maybe we're all supposed to live "lame" lives, automatically doing whatever is easiest while we wait for the hearse to pick us up. Or maybe not... automatics are for Corvettes!
Old 04-16-2009, 06:49 PM
Members

Originally Posted by gpfarrell' post='849898' date='Apr 16 2009, 07:34 PM
Maybe when I feel old like you do I'll want an automatic in my ultimate driving machine.

... automatics are for Corvettes!

Wow...how silly this is getting. BMWs are large sedans that people use to get to work for the most part. You're probably not going to drive a BMW just for the pure pleasure of driving - that's what Porsches are for .

I get a kick out of people acting like they need ultimate excitement out of their 4000 pound, reasonably quick "ultimate driving machines." Sure they are great-driving cars, but they do make compromises for space, comfort, etc.

Get the transmission that you like. Who cares if other people like auto boxes? Maybe you'd have an argument if you were talking about a track-day toy or something, but I guess even those are going to automatics these days (GT-R, Porsche, etc.).
Old 04-16-2009, 07:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Whatever ones shifting preference may be, the ZF automatic transmission BMW puts in the E60 is a mighty fine piece of engineering (and it's taken up a notch or two further with SAT). To look down on those who prefer it, as some posters have here, is frankly ludicrous.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 525XI, Jet black on Dakota beige. Premium and winter packages. I consider myself a purist and intend to keep my car absolutely stock and shiny. 2008 328I Convertible, Sapphire black on beige interior. Premium package, NAV, iPod adapter. Retired: 2002 325I, Titanium silver on black leather. Premium package. Absolutely stock and proud of it.

Originally Posted by swajames' post='849949' date='Apr 16 2009, 11:10 PM
Whatever ones shifting preference may be, the ZF automatic transmission BMW puts in the E60 is a mighty fine piece of engineering (and it's taken up a notch or two further with SAT). To look down on those who prefer it, as some posters have here, is frankly ludicrous.
That's exactly what I am trying to say. If someone doesn't like some thing, why do they have a need for putting down other people who like it? I tried to explain some of the reasons people might choose autos over manuals but I got flamed back and I just don't want to get into that.

My point is, if you like manuals, great, good for you, but don't tell me that I am missing out on something because I drive an auto. Different strokes for different folks. I have driven both and I have learned to have fun with either one. It's not like you're exactly putting it in auto pilot and just wake up when the car gets there....
Old 05-16-2009, 09:56 PM
Members

We have an 09 535i xdrive manual and it's the perfect car. Really wanted a stick and really wanted awd and the TT helps for sure. This knocked out the e class and a6 due to the lack of an awd/manual bigger sedan (Also not many other awd/manual cars out there at all). Wife drives manual here so this is her car.

Her previous car that we still have around was a 01 325xi manual and that is also a great car. A little sluggish but runs like a tank through the snow.

Thank god BMW still makes an awd/manual setup or we'd still be driving our old cars.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:07 PM
Senior Members

Given the option I would always take the manual. Did it while living in New England and drove into NYC. While living around Washington DC, and now in the Pacific NW. Manual transmission is really the way a BMW should be setup, IMO.
Old 05-16-2009, 10:08 PM
Members

My Ride: 2008 535i 2007 CLS 63 1997 Viper GTS

manual all the way.
Old 05-17-2009, 05:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 BMW 550i 2006 BMW X3

I've owned more manuals than automatics. I do prefer the involvement of a manual but it does get tiring in traffic. The new Sport Automatic is the best of both worlds (but obviously still is more like an auto). I use manual mode much of the time, even in trafic with no problems. On a twisty road or even on track, the SAT is great, giving fast, precise shifts exactly when you need them.

I'd also dare anyone to manually shift as many times as I have with the SAT when running a road such as the Tail of the Dragon (318 turns in 11 miles). I did 2-3-2-3-2-3-2-3, sometimes as frequently as you could read that. The SAT had no issues what-so-ever.
EDIT: I just watched my video of an incredbly good run. 75 shifts in 11 miles in 14:30. That's an average of a shift every 11.6 seconds, I sometimes stayed in 3rd for mere seconds and only hit 4th a few times the whole run.

I may try the DCT in a future car but I'd be happy to stick with the SAT.
Old 05-17-2009, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by ObD' post='847545' date='Apr 14 2009, 10:59 PM
I don't find traffic to be a problem with a manual. That's a BS reason not to have one. The auto lets you be more lazy.
Have you ever experienced real traffic before? The one that only creeps 2 to 3 feet every 30 seconds for the next 10+ miles? A morning commute with no traffic that takes less than 12 minutes to take ends up being an hour or more... Imagine doing this every other day for the next 3 years...

This is the very reason why I got sick of pushing the clutch with my left foot.. Instead my next car will have the sport auto trans.

Now If I lived in the sticks.. I'd be always driving a manual.

Quick Reply: Opinions on manual BMW's