E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Opinions on engine oil change for my ‘07 530xi

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-2019, 12:52 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 535i M / X-Drive
Model Year: 2010
Engine: N54

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Some of the problems that you have had might just be "normal" maintenance issues for a 200K performance automobile, or due to poor maintenance by the previous owner.

Of the 8 BMWs I have owned, my favourite is the 1988 325is that I put 666,000 kms on over 20 yrs. Only reliability problem I had with it was its fuel pump (twice). My 2nd favourite is my present 2005 545, mostly for its superb V8 and super handling abilities and comfort. The 1973 2002tii is my 3rd favourite.

If there is a trick to longevity on BMWs (or any other car IMO) it is really two things beyond normal maintenance: 1. Take care of the fluids (lubricating oils, coolant and brake and steering hydraulics) 2. Don't modify, except, perhaps the tires.

Get those oil leaks fixed because they wont get better and could lead to other problems like getting oil onto the alternator and belts causing other problems.
LOL had to google the two cars you said are your fav and man Bmw has actually kept up with the appearances since soooo long ago!! Those two look amazing for the years they were made and I’ll be honest I’ve never even heard of the 4-cyl 1973 2002tii ! Musta been amazing growing up with the kind of beasts you owned haha! But did you really own a Bimmer THAT HIT OVER 600KM? You must really baby these cars eh? I can’t imagine driving the 545 u own and not wanting to push it to the limit it must be depressing having to drive that monster of a car in a country with a maximum speed limit of 100 lol kinda makes u wish we had the chance of just ripping the s*it out of our cars in Germany on that highway where there’s no speed limit... JUST ONCE IS ALL I ASK FOR LOL!

but yes my belt has been making that noise that everyone hears and instantly knows where it’s coming from, so I’m guessing that’s not a good sign man! You are 100% correct about the previous owner not taking care of this car! Dude used to actually put regular gas only and even convinced me to do the same thing.. until I decided to give the premium gas a try lol.. I don’t think I’ll ever put regular in any bimmer ever again after noticing the diff, especially in consumption! I’ll admit however, I really like to push the car but of course I know how to drive it unlike most people I’ve seen on the roads lately!!! This year the roads here in Ottawa have gotten so bad with the drivers and the potholes though man.. I believe I changed most of my suspension just before winter, which was a big mistake since the snow and rain made our road conditions the worst it’s ever been.. half of my suspension has to be replaced again I believe lol especially two of the control arms! And the previous owner had these really nice custom tires on the car, but it ended up going bad! Too long of a story but everyone should stick to their OEM’s with these kind of cars to avoid huge headaches, trust me!