DIY: Do It Yourself Share all your DIY experiences here. Ask how-to questions also!

530xi Oil Change

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2006, 12:03 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

I did my own oil change on '06 530xi today. I have to say that it is one of the easiest oil changes I have ever done. The placement of the filter on the top of the engine is DIY friendly. The filter housing screwed off without any problems. I pulled out the old filter element, replaced the O-ring seal on the housing and was in business. The only hitch was the NAPA filter I purchased was not correct. I double checked and apparently their parts manual calls for the filter they gave me, but it is not same size as the OEM from BMW. So, I ran to my local dealer and bought the original.

I removed the three screws that hold the plastic cover on the underside of the car that hides the oil drain plug. A 17mm socket removed the plug. I drained the oil, replaced the copper washer on the drain plug and reinserted the drain plug. Refilled with 6.5 quarts of Castrol Syntec and the job was done. I do wish the 530 had the traditional dip stick to check the level after I was done. Something about the I-drive method worries me.

Enjoy your car!
Old 12-29-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='372177' date='Dec 29 2006, 04:03 PM
I did my own oil change on '06 530xi today. I have to say that it is one of the easiest oil changes I have ever done. The placement of the filter on the top of the engine is DIY friendly. The filter housing screwed off without any problems. I pulled out the old filter element, replaced the O-ring seal on the housing and was in business. The only hitch was the NAPA filter I purchased was not correct. I double checked and apparently their parts manual calls for the filter they gave me, but it is not same size as the OEM from BMW. So, I ran to my local dealer and bought the original.

I removed the three screws that hold the plastic cover on the underside of the car that hides the oil drain plug. A 17mm socket removed the plug. I drained the oil, replaced the copper washer on the drain plug and reinserted the drain plug. Refilled with 6.5 quarts of Castrol Syntec and the job was done. I do wish the 530 had the traditional dip stick to check the level after I was done. Something about the I-drive method worries me.

Enjoy your car!
Glad to hear you like to DIY. I'm the same. Change mine every 3,000 miles, although my filter is underneath.
Old 12-29-2006, 04:54 PM
zen
Members

Isn't it 6.9 quarts not 6.5. I believe it is 6.5 liters or 6.9 quarts. I usually just put in 7 qts and never have had a problem.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:26 AM
Members

My Ride: My 1st was an '06 530xi, Titanium Silver w/ gray dakota leather, sport pkg. & Nav. Now my 2nd is an '08 650i CP, Space Gray, Blk Dakota, Sprt. Auto, HUD, Sprt. Pkg., Prem. Sound, High Beam Ast. & Comfort Access

Yes it does call for 6.9 qts. but I did not want to overfill it. I know that it is better to be a little short than to be over, as this can cause premature seal failure. As I said, I am not totally sold on this I-drive oil level indicator. It is convenient, but I would also still like the old fashioned dip stick. It indicates now that it is one segment short of maximum (where it was when I started the oil change). I will wait a day or two and then add the extra if it is still at that point.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-30-2006, 05:35 AM
Members

Originally Posted by pa550' post='372208' date='Dec 29 2006, 06:09 PM
Glad to hear you like to DIY. I'm the same. Change mine every 3,000 miles, although my filter is underneath.
DIY you know it has been done right. How many horror stories have you heard about a shop forgetting to tighten the filter or drain plug and the unsuspecting customer losing an engine?

Changing the oil at BMW's intervals is ridiculous in my opinion. It is not just the oils ability to reduce friction, which the more perfect synthetic molocules do more efficently, but the combustion debris, engine particles and acids that form that need to be removed. I agree with the more frequent schedule. It is a cheap cost for long term protection.

Thanks for your reply.
Old 12-30-2006, 12:57 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2013 M5 - Sakhir Orange / Black Leather.

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='372334' date='Dec 30 2006, 09:35 AM
DIY you know it has been done right. How many horror stories have you heard about a shop forgetting to tighten the filter or drain plug and the unsuspecting customer losing an engine?

Changing the oil at BMW's intervals is ridiculous in my opinion. It is not just the oils ability to reduce friction, which the more perfect synthetic molocules do more efficently, but the combustion debris, engine particles and acids that form that need to be removed. I agree with the more frequent schedule. It is a cheap cost for long term protection.

Thanks for your reply.
Agree 100% that it's cheap insurance. Also, I really like working on cars so it's actually fun. Changed the brake fluid, rotors and pads in my wife's Volvo Cross Country a few weeks ago. Had never done the brake fluid before, but it was incredibly easy and I know everything is put back correctly. Bought a pressure bleeder from Bavarian Auto and a catch bottle. Fun.

Agree that it's better to under fill than over fill. Really weird that there's no dipstick. I've got one on the 4.8 liter.
Old 01-31-2007, 09:06 AM
Members

Originally Posted by my1stbeemer' post='372177' date='Dec 29 2006, 01:03 PM

Enjoy your car!
Did you drain the oil with the car on a ramp? With the car up on the ramp, will all the oil drains out of the engine?
On my 07 530i, there is a torque spec of 25.5 Nm for the oil filter cap. Does any one know the conversion to in-lb?
Thanks.
Old 01-31-2007, 01:57 PM
zen
Members

18.8 Ft #'s. Good and hand tight is good enough. The "O" ring does the job (it is not a gasket).
Old 05-06-2007, 05:50 PM
Contributors

My Ride: On Order as of May 6- 2007 530i Titanium Grey and Grey Leather, with Sport Package, Premium Pkg, Cold Pkg. 2006 Porsche Boxster

Will this void the warranty at all? :thumbsdown: Will BMW get in a twist about you doing work yourself and point the blame to you if anything goes wrong?
Old 02-28-2012, 03:06 PM
Members

Hey just a question, do you guys have to reset anything after changing oil?? I have 06 530xi

Quick Reply: 530xi Oil Change