E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Only Been 2 Weeks & The Cars In Service

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 12:11 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2008 500i

I noticed 2 days ago my clock was reset, I brushed it off and reset and went on me way. Later that afternoon, I noticed it reset again wtf, but now a sign which said" Excess Battrey Discharge" or something in that sense appeared. I called my local dealer, and they scheduled me for an appointment for this weds morning. Just finished lunch with the GF around her job and was in a great mood, Until I got back in the car and it didn't start Luckily I have a habit of putting jumper-cables & portable charger in all my cars new or used. I used the portable charger for 10 mins, car got power radio cut on etc, but the car wouldn't crank over. I tried jumping the car with hers, still wont crank over. I gave up called road side, and waited for the truck. Truck came, but he couldn't get the car in N so he couldn't tow it since he didn't have dollies or anything. Im currently waiting for another tow company which has dollies. Anybody know a way to get the car in Neutral? Im so pissed that a 2 week old CPO 550i has an battrey issue, I figured the car is carefully looked over before being classified as CPO. I hope I didn't make an mistake buying an bmw, Im simi worried that my car still has temp tags and the car is not from my local dealer, but another out of state bmw dealer. I really hope they dont give me any issues or not fix the problem, since it wasnt purchased from them. Sorry for my rant....
Old 02-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW 550i

did you check to make sure the battery cables are tight? maybe that car sat a while before you bought it, and the dealer just charged up the battery. in my experience, when an older battery goes dead, and particularly if it stays dead for a while, you need to get a new battery.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S Convertible. Midnight Blue, 6 Speed.Retired - 2007 997 Carrera S, Midnight Blue, Grey leather, premium audioRetired - 2007 550i, Monaco Blue over Beige, Navigation, Logic 7, Cold Weather Pack, Comfort Access, Sport Package
Model Year: 2008

Originally Posted by 08FiveFifty
I noticed 2 days ago my clock was reset, I brushed it off and reset and went on me way. Later that afternoon, I noticed it reset again wtf, but now a sign which said" Excess Battrey Discharge" or something in that sense appeared. I called my local dealer, and they scheduled me for an appointment for this weds morning. Just finished lunch with the GF around her job and was in a great mood, Until I got back in the car and it didn't start Luckily I have a habit of putting jumper-cables & portable charger in all my cars new or used. I used the portable charger for 10 mins, car got power radio cut on etc, but the car wouldn't crank over. I tried jumping the car with hers, still wont crank over. I gave up called road side, and waited for the truck. Truck came, but he couldn't get the car in N so he couldn't tow it since he didn't have dollies or anything. Im currently waiting for another tow company which has dollies. Anybody know a way to get the car in Neutral? Im so pissed that a 2 week old CPO 550i has an battrey issue, I figured the car is carefully looked over before being classified as CPO. I hope I didn't make an mistake buying an bmw, Im simi worried that my car still has temp tags and the car is not from my local dealer, but another out of state bmw dealer. I really hope they dont give me any issues or not fix the problem, since it wasnt purchased from them. Sorry for my rant....
Batteries can fail at any time. Even if it tested OK during the CPO process, they can be fine one day and malfunction the next. I had an issue on my 05 545i where the battery failed overnight. BMW tested it and replaced it. With your CPO, I'm not sure that the battery is covered. The supplying dealer would probably have made it right as a goodwill gesture, your local dealer may or may not be able to help you. Either way, don't hold it against the car - batteries are notoriously fickle things that can, literally, fail at almost any time. Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:20 PM
Senior Members

I think his car is still under the 4/50k so it should be covered under warranty.
Old 02-21-2011, 12:23 PM
Members

Thanks for the reply, The car is under manufactures warranty till 11/11. The new truck driver just jumped it and it started maybe the car had to sit for a while before another jump. I'm still going to get it towed just because i dont feel safe driving back home and it not start in the a.m. Hopefully bmw can address that "Excessive Battrey discharge" issue. I also have an issue with the Heater it doesn't blow anything in your face, I changed the color from blue to red for head and cranked it but it doesnt blow heat in your face. I googled these two issues, and noticed few other owners had the same two identical problems, which might be related?
Old 02-21-2011, 12:33 PM
Members

My Ride: 08 LCI 535i sport M5 umnitza full kit, Maya RM 1 245/35/20 20x9 et16, 275/30/20 20x10.5 et17, Future mods- KW coilovers V3 and StopTech brake

It is not uncommon to see some vehicles with these battery problems. I hook my car up to the battery tender evernight and keep the comfort access keys as away as possible from the vehicle to prevent wakening up the car. Btw, beautiful color scheme with natural brown interior.
Old 02-21-2011, 01:02 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: check siggg

pull the silver peice around your shift lever. there will be a slot where the key hole goes. remove it and take your screwdriver from the trunk and stick it in. pull on it and you are in neutral. release to get back into gear. good luck
Old 02-21-2011, 01:07 PM
Members

Originally Posted by jasperxli
pull the silver peice around your shift lever. there will be a slot where the key hole goes. remove it and take your screwdriver from the trunk and stick it in. pull on it and you are in neutral. release to get back into gear. good luck
+1 - perhaps we should all "practice" this technique before the next towing. At first it looks like major surgery to put it in neutral, but i'm OK with it now.

Also, I had a battery problem as well recently on a CPO 08 550i -----> ground strap malfunction.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:00 PM
Members

That is great information, I will try it out once i get the car back for future references.
Old 02-21-2011, 02:03 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 535i

My 08 was inside the showroom (people in and out) and the battery was drained when I bought it. They swapped the battery out for a new one and no problems since.

Quick Reply: Only Been 2 Weeks & The Cars In Service