E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

One Week to 550 ED

Search this Thread

Old 11-19-2007, 07:48 PM
Senior Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2006 550i, Alpine White, Beige Ltr, Sport Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Premium Sound, Active Steering, Comfort Access, Steptronic, Nav, Satellite Radio, Split Fold Rear Seats, V1

Well I have one more week to wait before jumping on the plane. I am psyched to see the new Welt Delivery Center. Is anyone else scheduled for Wednesday November 28? This is my second ED so I have a good idea on what to expect but the Welt is brand new. Anyone that has any advise would be appreciated. I plan to head to Strasbourg, Paris, Stuttgart and back to Munich. Any travel tips would also be great.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:17 PM
Senior Members

Two suggestions.

1.) Visit Bimmerfest's European Delivery Forum. Very active forum there, lots of knowledgeable people. And while you are there (presuming you join), please enter your name and car on the Official European Delivery Calendar. There are several people already on your date I believe.

2.) Take a look at my series of articles about the opening of the BMW Welt and my delivery experience there (I was the first customer). Scroll down for earlier articles and lots of photos via the Slideshows.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:18 PM
Senior Members

About your itinerary: why are you driving back to Munich? You could drop off in Paris giving you more time at your destinations.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 10 Honda Fit Sport, 10 Honda Pilot Touring

I was just going to tell him to contact you Jonathan. You're good...very good.
Old 11-19-2007, 08:29 PM
Senior Members

Originally Posted by DRANGED' post='496693' date='Nov 20 2007, 12:20 AM
I was just going to tell him to contact you Jonathan. You're good...very good.
Very kind of you to say.
Old 11-19-2007, 09:10 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011, X6 Hybrid . Alpine White , every option. 20" Conti' NON runflats,OEM trunk spoiler , LUX V3 AE's , HP Thunder Fogs , custom front bumper reflector delete........

Remember to take a corkscrew !!!
Old 11-20-2007, 01:42 AM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

In the Strasbourg area, check out Obernai (the northern end of the Alsace Wine Trail). It's a lovely little town, and a great place to spend an evening - a firm favourite of Mrs MacSid and I. Nearby, there is also Ottrot, which features the must-see Mont St. Odile ( see http://www.mont-sainte-odile.com ). Also, the Wine Trail (from Obernai to Colmar) has some lovely open twisty roads
Old 11-20-2007, 01:47 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2008 535i: (8/07 Build) Metallic Bronze, Beige NASCA Leather, Ventilated Seats, Sport Pkg, Cold Wxr Pkg, Logic-7 Sound, HUD, Night Vision, PDC, Split Rear Seats, NAV, Premium Pkg, Comfort Access, HD Radio, Sport Auto Trans Current mods: M-Aero Kit, JB4, Motorcepts 6000k HID Foglamps Umnitza ICE-Lite 10w LED 6000k AE's 1992 Camaro RS: Fully Restored w/Custom Interior, 5.0L V8, T-tops, OEM Z28 Foglamps, Inst Cluster, & Spoiler, Custom Sound, Too many engine mods to list

Just curious, but can somebody explain how BMW handles ED vehicles w/sport package during the winter months since this option gets you performance summer tires? I've seen way too many accidents here from people using summer tires in the winter.

I know German law doesn't require winter tires, but they do recommend them. Insurance companies here can opt not to pay a claim if they have reason to believe out of season tires contributed to an accident.

I truly hope you enjoy your new car, but keep an eye on the weather forecasts. Stuttgart weather tends to be a bit worse than its surrounding areas.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: E46 330, E60 550 on order: Carbon Black/Natural Brown, 6MT.

Originally Posted by pukka' post='496761' date='Nov 20 2007, 05:47 AM
Just curious, but can somebody explain how BMW handles ED vehicles w/sport package during the winter months since this option gets you performance summer tires? I've seen way too many accidents here from people using summer tires in the winter.

I know German law doesn't require winter tires, but they do recommend them. Insurance companies here can opt not to pay a claim if they have reason to believe out of season tires contributed to an accident.

I truly hope you enjoy your new car, but keep an eye on the weather forecasts. Stuttgart weather tends to be a bit worse than its surrounding areas.
There is a gentleman named John Lance that is running a winter tire rental program. You'll find a sticky on the bimmerfest forum.

As you mention, "appropriate" tires are required for the conditions, and your inurance will likely decline coverage if you have an accident with summer tires. I suggest renting the proper tires.
Old 11-20-2007, 03:36 AM
Contributors

My Ride: G30 530i M-sport
Model Year: 2018

Totally forgot when posting earlier, but do keep an eye on the on-going strikes across France (now into day-7). Large portions of public transport are out on strike at the moment, and the roads around major cities are a right mess as a result. The latest: http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/7102890.stm

Quick Reply: One Week to 550 ED