E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

One thing you should NEVER try….

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2006, 03:40 AM
Contributors

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

hey Iceman, if a car is put in to neutral what is the problem with pulling it?
I see no problem there
Old 01-08-2006, 07:29 AM
Members

Well, in the UK:

My friend but just ?20 worth (Less than a 1/4 of the tank) of petrol in his 3 month old LAND ROVER DISCOVERY TDI last week.

Land Rover refused to pay for the damage and have billed him ?600 as it was not covered on the warranty. (Claiming they need to change feul pump/look at the cylinders etc and if they didn't it would invalidate the warranty)

He wishes he had siphoned it himself and then filled with diesel and wait to see if any red lights come on. He only drive it 20 metres across the forecourt.

This is one of the reason why we have both cars as diesel now........ fingers crossed
Old 01-08-2006, 08:23 AM
Super Moderator

My Ride: F02 LCI Individual
Model Year: 2013

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='220857' date='Jan 8 2006, 01:40 PM
hey Iceman, if a car is put in to neutral what is the problem with pulling it?
I see no problem there
Well, I'm no expert, but I was told that a car with rear wheel drive CAN (possibly) get damaged when it get towed, even when it's in neutral.
I can also tell you, if I tow a Jaguar, Automatic tranny, ON my flat bed, I HAVE to leave it in neutral and can't pull the parking brake!! If I put it on my flat bed and put it in P, the transmission is severle damaged! Remember, I am talking about having it ON the truck, not pulling it!!!
Some strange things can happen to cars.
So, if some expert tells me you better don't pull it, I will not do it.
Of course it doesn't mean that the car WILL be damaged, but there is a chance that it will be...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:29 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2004 BMW 530I steptronic, Orient Blue, Dakota Black Leather, Finishers Aluminium with Wave Cutting interior, NAVIgation, Radio PROFESSIONAL, CD in-dash, Hi-Fi extended sound system, PDC system, Bi-Xenons lights with washers, cruise-control, heated seats, Extended AC, auto"shade" mirrors, auto lights sensors, rain/wiper sensor, M-tech leather multifunction steering wheel, side airbags rearseats, sliding armrest, smoker's package (I don't smoke!), velour floor mats, spare wheel and jack, 122 style rims winter setup, M135 style rims summer setup [color=red]Mods:[/color] [color=blue]M tech sport steering wheel with M5 SMG paddles working retrofit done ! Trunk lid opening button retrofit done.[/color] [color=blue]3M window 35% tint done Chrome grilles E60.net Clings [/color]

hmmm but technicaly, using my common sense..... if any car is in neutral you can pull it or push it as much as you want.
I see no problem here. If in neutral everything is disconnected.
What is the difference if a car is being pulled on a flat bed or pulled already steep hill straight on to the truck???
Old 01-08-2006, 08:30 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by It' post='219908' date='Jan 6 2006, 11:17 AM
50 litres of V power petrol in a 535D.
I just got back from work...

Today we had a total of 7 (seven!!!). One of them was a M5, who just did the opposite, V-Power Diesel instead of V-Power 100 octane petrol...
Old 01-08-2006, 08:32 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by Iceman' post='220946
50 litres of V power petrol in a 535D.
I just got back from work...

Today we had a total of 7 (seven!!!). One of them was a M5, who just did the opposite, V-Power Diesel instead of V-Power 100 octane petrol...
[/quote]

wow, I bet you were in heaven towing M5. Was it an E60 M5? What a jerk drives M5 and does not know what to tank in there
Old 01-08-2006, 08:35 AM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Peter530i' post='220945
wow, I bet you were in heaven towing M5. Was it an E60 M5? What a jerk drives M5 and does not know what to tank in there
E60. Not in heaven. It's such a shame seeing a car like this getting raped by a jerk.
But since there's V-Power and V-Power Diesel... I see why it happened.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:46 AM
Contributors

My Ride: 2006 530xi. Deep green with beige interior. 6 speed manual. Premium package.

I think the no towing has to do with cooling. Even though it is in nuetral, the transmission is still spinnnig, but the fluid is nto circulating and cooling like it should. In older cars that I ahev worked on I was told if you disconnect the driveshaft then you can tow at will.
Old 01-08-2006, 08:49 AM
Contributors

Originally Posted by dgjk' post='220953' date='Jan 8 2006, 12:46 PM
I think the no towing has to do with cooling. Even though it is in nuetral, the transmission is still spinnnig, but the fluid is nto circulating and cooling like it should. In older cars that I ahev worked on I was told if you disconnect the driveshaft then you can tow at will.
]
ok but we are talking towing of 4meters distance here to the town truck. I can understand that towing behind some other car for 10miles would do damage.
Also again, I still do not see the difference between pulling a car in neutral to a flat bed or straight up to the track. Seems the same to me..... Since when horizontal level has to do something with the car?????
Old 01-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Super Moderator

I think the problem is the speed. The faster you tow it, the more it spins...
BTW: to completely disconnect the drive shaft you'd need to jump under the car and take it apart...
If you just move it very slowly it shouldn't do any damage. So, pulling it up onto the truck or pushing it by hand should be safe. The speed when you are towing it on its own wheels is the problem, I guess...

Quick Reply: One thing you should NEVER try….