E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Is it okay to mix and match tires in the front and rear?

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-2007 | 06:45 PM
Contributors

Well I saw a nail in my rear tire so I went to the tire shop to get it plugged and patched. When they took off the tire, they found five more nails, then three more in the other rear tire. So I guess a simple patch job won't work.

I have Michelin PS2s in the front, and though they are great tires, I don't think I really need that caliber of tire. If I look past the PS2s, there are decent alternatives at a much cheaper price. Also, my lease is ending in a few months and I'm unsure what I'm going to do with the car. I don't really want to spend ~$700 in rear tires just to turn the car in two months from now.

Do you guys think I'll notice a difference in handling or ride with mismatched tires?
Old 01-02-2007 | 06:55 PM
Contributors

I bought the PS2s through tirerack last year and am unsure whether I purchased the road hazard program. I'm thinking I probably got cheap and passed up on the insurance. I'll call them tomorrow to make sure though. Hmm, $50 for the road hazard program and free tires, or $600 for new tires....I'm going to buy the insurance next time.

I'll probably order the Goodyear F1s GS-D3s as the 275/35-18s are currently discounted on tirerack.

Oh and has anyone used America's Tire Co price-matching. I read on this board or maybe another forum, that someone got them to price match the tireracks pricing. When I asked though, they said they only price matched retailers while the tirerack is a wholesaler.
Old 01-02-2007 | 11:25 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 07 BMW 525i Premium Package, Xenon Lighting Package, manual Transmission. Titanium Grey, 20% Tint around the back, 70% V-Kool on front. Planned mods: Style 71 wheels with Toyo Proxy 4 tires, Sachs suspension upgrade, upgraded stereo, and many more to come.

don't have experience with mix and match tires on a bimmer, but did so on my cheapo accord and i didn't notice too much difference between two brands of tires.
about the insurance
how much tread left is there on the rear tires? when i bought from america's tire, i got a two to three screws which a simple patch job won't work. so i got pro-rated credit toward the purchase of a new tire, basically i end up paying about half price for the tire.
i actually just used their price match for my dad's car new tires. basically tell them how much you saw on tirerack, they will price match it but will charge $25 for mounting balancing instead of the lower rate of $14 if you buy at their normal price. i think they said they also charge $7 on top of the price match, but end up didn't charge me. all in all it may be a little more than buying at tirerack and then go to a shop to have it installed, but difference isn't much plus american tire does have decent service. haha if they really charge $7 for shipping, you can tell them there's no sales tax on tirerack =P
they looked up the tirerack price real time, hehee so don't try to lowball them =P
good luck!
Old 01-03-2007 | 12:06 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

As long as you buy decent tyres and have the same on the axle you will not notice much if any difference.
Old 01-03-2007 | 01:53 AM
Contributors

My Ride: E61 535d Apr 05. UK spec + Media Pack, Luxury Pack & Visibility Pack

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='373136' date='Jan 3 2007, 03:45 AM
Well I saw a nail in my rear tire so I went to the tire shop to get it plugged and patched. When they took off the tire, they found five more nails, then three more in the other rear tire. So I guess a simple patch job won't work.
Do you live near a tribe of voodoo practitioners?

If tyres are matched on the same axle, you are unlikely to encounter any problems.
Old 01-03-2007 | 06:19 AM
Senior Members

Just thought I'd find an axle to grind too.

ABC
Old 01-03-2007 | 09:58 AM
Contributors

My Ride: My ex-ride: EU '08 LCI 520dA. Space Grey, Sport Seats in Black Leather/Fabric Anthracite, Sport Steering Wheel, A/C with Extended Features, Hi-Fi Speakers, Cup Holders, Cruise with Braking function, Folding Rear Seats, Xenons, Park Distance Control.

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='373136' date='Jan 3 2007, 05:45 AM
Check your neighbors!

Plaese do not mix tyres between the axels.

It's OK if you heve the wider rear tyres, otherwise not.
Old 01-07-2007 | 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Mini Cooper

9 nails in your rear tires
that must be a guinness world records.
Don`t mix and match, its not good.
Old 01-07-2007 | 10:13 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

Originally Posted by heezy545i' post='373136' date='Jan 2 2007, 07:45 PM
Also, my lease is ending in a few months and I'm unsure what I'm going to do with the car.

Are we losing you from the forum? What are you going to get next??
Old 01-07-2007 | 10:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Ah so this is the reason for new tires I saw this weekend...

Quick Reply: Is it okay to mix and match tires in the front and rear?