E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

OK, I don't understand the advantages of MP3 on disk

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2006, 01:04 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

What is the big interest in MP3 disc?Sure, I have an Ipod and would like to play it through my car radio and show the info on my screen. The random play for my 850 songs I have in it would be terrific to play in random order but for now I guess it is not possible on the '05 545, but what advantage does an MP3 disc have over a standard CD disc. Hate to sound like a dummy on this subject, but I am.Why are so many posters real excited about this? I must really be missing something!
Old 01-24-2006, 01:06 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2005 545i with Sport Pkg, Nav, HUD, Cold Weather Pkg, Rear Shades

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='228983' date='Jan 24 2006, 04:04 PM
What is the big interest in MP3 disc?Sure, I have an Ipod and would like to play it through my car radio and show the info on my screen. The random play for my 850 songs I have in it would be terrific to play in random order but for now I guess it is not possible on the '05 545, but what advantage does an MP3 disc have over a standard CD disc. Hate to sound like a dummy on this subject, but I am.Why are so many posters real excited about this? I must really be missing something!

Primary reason is capacity. You can fit a lot more (and I mean A LOT MORE) songs on a CD if you burn them in mp3 format. Depending on quality, you can easily burn 10 regular CDs into mp3 format onto a single CD and play it in the car.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:20 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Also, I use Musicmatch on demand to listen to an excellent collection of music through our bedroom sound system. Now, that I have MP3 capability I will be purchasing albums/tunes relatively inexpensively through the Musicmatch store for burning and playing in my car.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Contributors

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2013 535i (White with Oyster Interior. Premium Package, Navigation, Technology Pacakge, Park Distance Control, and Rear View Camera)

It's for people don't have iPod and want to play tons of music in the car.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:26 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2014 X5 xDrive 5.0 M Package Carbon Black Metallic/2008 M Roadster Imola Red

Originally Posted by Freewilly' post='228992' date='Jan 24 2006, 05:23 PM
It's for people don't have iPod and want to play tons of music in the car.
I have an iPod, but haven't done whatever is needed to the AUX to use it in my car. So, I still will like having MP3.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 2011 F10 535i, Graphite on Oyster, ///Msport, Executive Package, XDrive

I went to the AUX In and ipod as my car will require replaecment of the in dash cd player in order to have mp3 playback.
Old 01-24-2006, 01:51 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

I basically want it for the capacity. I dont like to switch between CDs even with a CD changer I cannot fit all the songs I have or want to listen to. I also like the fact you can display artist and titles on the idrive screen.

I have a ipod but i do not wnat to spend $300 to get the AUX.
Old 01-24-2006, 02:46 PM
Contributors

lastly...(same as the first comment) the amount of songs you can have is sweet!
Old 01-24-2006, 04:08 PM
Members

Thanks for the response.
It was mentioned that for $300 BMW can add an Aux. Imput for Ipod.
Can someone that has already had the Aux. installed respond to the following questions?
I have a '05 545ia, April '05 build with Logic7 and navigation.

Most important, How is the sound quality. Is it close to CD quality?
Can you receive the info from Ipod on the I-Drive screen?
What shows on screen. Do you get Title and artist? Exactly how does it operate?
Can you scroll info for all you songs, and will it play randomly or must you control all details from the Ipod itself.
Where is the input jack installed? Does it blend in?
A lot of questions, and maybe it does none of the above and just plays music alone through the sound system. Than is it worth the money to install?
Thanks in advance.
Netjazz
Old 01-24-2006, 04:21 PM
Contributors

My Ride: 545iSMGSilver GrayAuburn Dakota LeatherLogic 7 Premium SoundSports Package

Originally Posted by netjazz' post='229105' date='Jan 24 2006, 05:08 PM
Thanks for the response.
It was mentioned that for $300 BMW can add an Aux. Imput for Ipod.
Can someone that has already had the Aux. installed respond to the following questions?
I have a '05 545ia, April '05 build with Logic7 and navigation.

Most important, How is the sound quality. Is it close to CD quality?
Can you receive the info from Ipod on the I-Drive screen?
What shows on screen. Do you get Title and artist? Exactly how does it operate?
Can you scroll info for all you songs, and will it play randomly or must you control all details from the Ipod itself.
Where is the input jack installed? Does it blend in?
A lot of questions, and maybe it does none of the above and just plays music alone through the sound system. Than is it worth the money to install?
Thanks in advance.
Netjazz
You can install AUX input in any E60.

You cannot receive any info on the iDrive through AUX input it basically is just a line in to the speakers and all you hear is sound. you can plug in a DVD player MP3 Player iPod whatever you wish that has a 1/8th mini jack to listen to the sound through the car speakers.

All the iDrive screen shows is AUX to tell you you are listening to stuff through the AUX input.
It can be installed in various places its basically a wire splice that goes into behind the headunit and how ever long that it it can be installed inside the glove compartment center arm rest etc... It'll bend it pretty well I think depending where you put it.

Yup does none of the above and only plays sound through the speakers... and no it is not worth $300. I got the AUX input for the MINI and that was $40 and I think thats barely worth it. It is nice to have though.

Depending on what kind of mini cable you have you get close to CD quality... Its not quite as good I say. it is analog after all.

Quick Reply: OK, I don't understand the advantages of MP3 on disk