E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

OK-here's my 4,400 mile list of gripes

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 06:26 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1-back seat creaks like old wood floor
2-car sometimes dies when starting
3-every so often Idrive screen goes blank or I lose presets
4-CD player has a mind of its own
5-drivers window sometimes goes half way up then back down for no reason
6-various other squeeks in doors
7-trunk lid - never opens on the first try

Ok - so am I happy? Would I buy it again? Absolutely! I love this car - magnificent drive otherwise - just very annoying little problems for a car I spent $65k on
Old 08-27-2004, 06:30 AM
Senior Members

good to hear your still +ve despite a few niggles..good for you, all cars have their quirks even pricey ones

I had a similar list of niggles to yours (not exact, but 5 or 6 things I wanted fixing), just got car back last night after two days with the dealer....all sorted now, loving the car even more.

reading recent posts I think most of the items in your list are (or should be) easy fixes.

good luck.
Old 08-27-2004, 12:32 PM
Senior Members

I have 300 miles on the car and I have had items 2,3,4,5 and 7 already. I do love the car though, it carves corners like crazy, still in break in period so I am trying to take it easy.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:10 PM
Senior Members

Joe -

Half of your problems can be solved by a software upgrade. The window may need a replacement part. Mine did, and it works fine now. They tell me that the trunk problem can be solved with a few weeks' worth of button pushing exercises.

The squeaking seat seems to be a common problem that may have no real remedy. I love the 545 to death, and I've already had/remedied most of the "common" problems. However, I have to tell you that if my back seat starts squeaking like my old college dorm room bed, I'm getting a softly used 745 or a new E500 ASAP. I'm not 5-series loyal enough to listen to that all day.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:13 PM
Members

1-back seat creaks like old wood floor
Not sure on this one, something must be loose.

2-car sometimes dies when starting
I get the same thing, I seem to let off of the key to soon on the start I think. If I am conscious in what I am doing, it is not a problem. Having to turn the key all the way off before trying again is a bit annoying though.

3-every so often Idrive screen goes blank or I lose presets
V12 fixed this for me. Though I have never lost presets.

4-CD player has a mind of its own
V12 again I think. I have not had the possesed CD thinking it is on a different CD or Track since the upgrade.

5-drivers window sometimes goes half way up then back down for no reason
THis can be fixed at the dealer. It is a misaliged winow resistance sensor. It usually happened to me when it was hot. The window things something is in its way. Took the dealer 15min to fix it on my front two windows.

6-various other squeeks in doors
Not sure.

7-trunk lid - never opens on the first try
Same as number 2 I think. To open the trunk with the key you need to hold down the button for a second or two. However, hold it down too long and the panic goes off. Annoying that.

In general though, just talk to the dealer on all these things. People who purchase BMWs tend to be more descerning, and so the dealer should expect to hear from us on our annoiances and be prepared to fixed them. They have always take good care of me.

Dave