E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Pan Gasket-New Factory Gasket or Rubber Seal

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2023, 08:59 AM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 2005 530i Sedan 6 Speed
Model Year: 2005
Engine: M54
Question Oil Pan Gasket-New Factory Gasket or Rubber Seal

Hello! I have a 2005 E60 530i sedan with the 6 speed manual trans. The oil pan gasket has been leaking heavily for some time now and I’ve decided to have it replaced.

Question: Is it better to replace with the same gasket that came from the factory (my usual shop wants to do this) OR is it better to replace with the rubber/synthetic sealant that comes from a tube (can’t remember the name) that another shop wants to do. The car has 174k miles on it and I guess I just don’t want to deal with an oil pan gasket leak prematurely. Is one option better than the other for longevity?

Really appreciate it!

Nick
Portland, OR
Old 01-12-2023, 09:46 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Just use the factory gasket. All the cost is in the labor for this job - use the right part.
The following users liked this post:
nickpaesler (01-12-2023)
Old 01-13-2023, 07:41 AM
New Members

Received 59 Likes on 52 Posts
My Ride: E61 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2007

I've done 3 of mine already; used a factory style gasket + some RTV sealant on the metal section of the gasket. Keep it as a secondary back up seal for when the factory rubber section deteriorates in time.
Old 01-18-2023, 05:21 AM
Probation Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing beats original BMW since it not only gives you mind peace but being a major repair, you don't wanna depend on 3rd party products (even though OEM). What price did the $tealer and/or repair shop quote for this job ? Which state/dealership? Mine may be faulty too.
Old 01-24-2023, 04:52 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany

I'm curious too how much a shop or dealership will charge for this.
Old 01-25-2023, 12:31 AM
Super Moderator

Received 186 Likes on 181 Posts
My Ride: '06 530i N52

Dealer quoted me $1,909.15, my indy quoted me $850.
Old 01-27-2023, 01:12 PM
New Members

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My Ride: 09 BMW 528i - Comfort Access/Cold W. Package/Black w/gray dakota leather interior. Bought it from a used car dealer in Kaiserslautern, Germany

That's in the ballpark what I would imagine it would cost at the dealership or an indy. I would also have the motor mounts (maybe transmission) replaced as I know they collapse while everything is off.

I've been seriously considering taking this on myself as I'm only using the E60 as a "winter vehicle", but I can only do so much with Harbor Freight jackstands lol.
Old 01-27-2023, 02:54 PM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Originally Posted by militarydave
I've been seriously considering taking this on myself as I'm only using the E60 as a "winter vehicle", but I can only do so much with Harbor Freight jackstands lol.
The way I always look at it is, if the DIY job plus the tools costs the same as the garage doing it, I'm way ahead 'cuz now I have more tools! ;-) And in reality, the price of BMW servicing is WAY higher than any additional tools you're going to need. It never, ever bothers me to buy tools for a specific job because I figure I'm so far ahead compared to any other option that my cost of ownership is a small fraction of what it would be if I wasn't twisting my own wrenches.
Old 01-27-2023, 08:32 PM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 42 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by habbyguy
The way I always look at it is, if the DIY job plus the tools costs the same as the garage doing it, I'm way ahead 'cuz now I have more tools! ;-) And in reality, the price of BMW servicing is WAY higher than any additional tools you're going to need. It never, ever bothers me to buy tools for a specific job because I figure I'm so far ahead compared to any other option that my cost of ownership is a small fraction of what it would be if I wasn't twisting my own wrenches.
It that how I ended up with 7 torque wrenches? Admittedly, two of them are very old beam type.
Old 01-28-2023, 08:59 AM
New Members

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts
My Ride: 2006 530xi (Touring)

Originally Posted by twh
It that how I ended up with 7 torque wrenches? Admittedly, two of them are very old beam type.
I heard that! I think I have "only" five, maybe six. One I bought to measure the drag of the pinion gear on my Jeep rear differential. What a process - first apply (and I'm not joking) about 2,000 ft/lbs of torque to the "crush washer", and then use a beam-style torque wrench to measure the drag turning the differential (the drag was just a few inch-pounds, IIRC).

There is a place for the beam-style torque wrench though - I wish I had one that was in the right range for the aluminum valve cover bolts, for example. The click-style torque wrench I have works, but the click is so subdued at that low torque that I missed it and snapped the first bolt I tried to install. With the beam, you get a really good idea of what's really going on...

Quick Reply: Oil Pan Gasket-New Factory Gasket or Rubber Seal