E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil level sensor

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2016, 04:11 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Model Year: 2004

To clarify... Oil level sensor.
Old 03-02-2016, 09:54 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

Originally Posted by FormerE30Owner
Are we talking oil PRESSURE sensor or oil LEVEL sensor? They are not the same and actually independant.

Salut, Bob p.
Well, from my understanding low oil pressure can indicate several things, among others one of them being low oil level.

Some possible problems could be as simple as an electrical connection, bad sensors, wrong oil to a more costly DME replacement (yikes). Maybe he needs the software cleared/reset? I don't know. I'm no expert on the software DME so I won't surmise past that, but by me suggesting "maybe it's a bad pressure switch" that far fetched and/or incomprehensible? Will it hurt to try replacing a cheap part/sensor (that is old) known to leak in the V8's and just "maybe" solve OP problem? If it helps, GREAT! If not then some will continue to help and contribute...

Last edited by e6t.lab.rat; 03-02-2016 at 10:01 PM. Reason: we'll --> some will
Old 03-03-2016, 02:22 PM
New Members

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
My Ride: 2005 545i, premium package, 6sp manual, cold package, navigation package.
Model Year: 2005
Engine: N62

Originally Posted by e6t.lab.rat
Well, from my understanding low oil pressure can indicate several things, among others one of them being low oil level.

Low oil pressure indicates just that - low oil PRESSURE, or a faulty oil pressure switch.
The reason for the low oil pressure might be because of low oil level. The OP was talking about a low oil LEVEL and wondering about a faulty level sensor or if the level was indeed low, which seems to not be the case.

Some possible problems could be as simple as an electrical connection, bad sensors, wrong oil to a more costly DME replacement (yikes). Maybe he needs the software cleared/reset? I don't know. I'm no expert on the software DME so I won't surmise past that, but by me suggesting "maybe it's a bad pressure switch" that far fetched and/or incomprehensible? Will it hurt to try replacing a cheap part/sensor (that is old) known to leak in the V8's and just "maybe" solve OP problem? If it helps, GREAT! If not then some will continue to help and contribute...
A faulty pressure switch will not give a low oil LEVEL. A leaking pressure switch might cause the oil level to be low, but then the leak would be obvious, which does not seem to be the case here. A leaking oil pressure switch is not considered a faulty switch, so changing it if there is no leak and no low PRESSURE indication is worthless and unnecessary.

Their seemed to be some confusion in whether we were talking about a level sensor or a pressure sensor, since there was interchangeability of the terms. I was not trying to diss you.

Sorry, Bob P.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:33 PM
Contributors

My Ride: Jet Black '05 545i, Sport/Premium Pkg, Steptronic, Adaptive Xenon, Nav, L7, Blue2th, PDC,

We both understand what an oil pressure sensor does however, figuring how the algorithms in the DME sort out defaulted sensor readings is beyond me. As we all know and are familiar with, the error readings we see for the most part are cut and dry. Obvious fixes, just replace the defective part and you're all good. But sometimes things such as this happen (fairly often I might add). The "obvious" issue here was the oil level sensor. OK no problem. Replace with new one and be done with it. Unfortunately this didn't help him. So there's something else going on. Others chimed in to check connection and so forth (which is what I'd do). Hence, I just thought the next logical thing to do would be to check the pressure sensor because frankly we have no idea what signals the DME is receiving to still show low oil level when in fact the level is fine. Somethings amiss. You may not agree but that's fine. Just trying to explain myself. We all have our opinions and this is what makes forums what they are, a diverse community with a whole lot of knowledge.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:40 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2004 545 6 M/T
Model Year: 2004

Thank you all for your input! Come hell or high water... we'll figure it out!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:42 PM
Contributors

Keep us posted
Old 12-26-2018, 05:31 PM
New Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: Silver 525i

Hey guys.. any updates? I've got an 07 525i and my oil level sensor is reading min oil.. I replaced the sensor and still the same reading.
Old 12-10-2019, 02:17 AM
Probation Members

My Ride: 2006 BMW E61 530d 231 HP
Model Year: 2006
Engine: M57TU2 - 306D3

Hello all.
I got the same error with oil level too low and comes when i drive semi fast at highway (150-160 km/h) after 20 min. My BMW E61 530d 2006 has a deapstick so i checked oil level - at max.
Does someone have a solution to that?

Last edited by zagi-dk; 12-15-2019 at 10:25 PM. Reason: updates
Old 12-11-2019, 06:33 PM
New Members

My Ride: 2008 520i full option except for sunroof with 6 speed manual

any updates? have an 08 520i 6mt with the n43 engine, getting oil pressure too low when driving aggressively 170-200, the car doesn't make any strange noises or rattling, i stop the car restart it and the message is gone. car is gone 240k autobahn kms, but is in mint condition and hasn't been beaten on. any ideas on what it might be?
Old 07-08-2022, 10:24 AM
New Members

My Ride: 2007 E61 | Silbergrau Metallic | ZCW | ZPP | 508 | 609 | 205

Resurrecting an old thread as there's no sense in starting a new thread and getting the "why didn't you search" responses....

So I have a 2007 530xiT with around 187,000 miles. In the past eight months or so I've replaced the oil sensor twice, each time with a new unit each time from FCP Euro. When I got the car back in November 2019 with 177,xxx miles all was fine. Then about 8 - 12 months ago I started getting erratic oil level messages. I could go from middle to full to "add a quart" in one 30 minute drive. First replaced it in December 2021; still got erratic messages. Replaced again a few weeks ago; still getting erratic messages. I assume nobody's found an actual fix for this...?

Quick Reply: Oil level sensor