E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil in intake, BIG turbo sound 530d, something is worng.

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2009, 03:52 AM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi guys.
The other day i was out driving and when i turned down the stereo i could here that my engine didn?t sound as it usually do.

There now is a huuge turbo sound. My guess was that there was a leek somewhere, but didnt found anything. Try to presure it with 1 bar, and it dosent leek.

So today i have worked my way down to the turbo. It has a small gap, meaning i could move the impeller 1mm up and down. Nothing out and in.
Is that ok?
I wondering however there is a lot of oil everywhere. Some in the throttelbody, almhost in any tube, if i put my finger in and swirl it around, i will get really black.

Is the turbo worn? What else could it be?

Its a 530d -04 with 140000km
Old 08-02-2009, 06:33 AM
Members

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: 530D Touring MSport Navi professional, HUD, bicolour leather sport seats, BT integrated, automatic transmission, panorama roof.
Model Year: 2006

Originally Posted by scalare' post='961822' date='Aug 1 2009, 01:52 PM
Hi guys.
The other day i was out driving and when i turned down the stereo i could here that my engine didn?t sound as it usually do.

There now is a huuge turbo sound. My guess was that there was a leek somewhere, but didnt found anything. Try to presure it with 1 bar, and it dosent leek.

So today i have worked my way down to the turbo. It has a small gap, meaning i could move the impeller 1mm up and down. Nothing out and in.
Is that ok?
I wondering however there is a lot of oil everywhere. Some in the throttelbody, almhost in any tube, if i put my finger in and swirl it around, i will get really black.

It sounds to me that the bearings in the turbo is worn out and oil is getting past them and into the system. Stop at once driving with your car. It could be that it is not only at the intake side that the bearings are worn. If oil gets out into the exhaust system it can damage the catalysator too.

About the turbo axis play, I can only say that normal turbo has play just as you describe it but how much I dont know. It normally is a little radial play but no axial play whatsoever.

Start looking for a turbo rebuild kit or a new turbo. And dont forget to empty your intercooler for oil.
Old 08-03-2009, 05:49 AM
Members

My Ride: 530D M Sport Auto. Carbon Black with Beige Leather

Originally Posted by scalare' post='961822' date='Aug 1 2009, 12:52 PM
Hi guys.

Is that ok?

Have you checked your engine breather. If its clogged up it will cause back pressure into your intake. Eventually ruining your turbo.. get it checked asap and change it with the vortex type..!
Old 08-10-2009, 10:38 AM
Members

Hey, guys, here comes a small update so you have something else to think about
This is done:

* New crankcase vent
* Tested for leaks
* felt the turbo front and rear, and looked impellrar no visible injuries, just a little gap
* EGR bypass / plugs
* Check error codes, none found.
* Removed all the multi-straps

Tested today to snatch the cabling to the waste gate afther that the car was completely dead, but noise disappeared almost completely. The oil is completely normal what I understand, not much.
When the cable was connected again the noise came back... Same as the turbo boost.

Edit:
There is no smoke or something...