E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil filter & brake fluid £600 from stealer?

Search this Thread

Old 07-02-2012 | 02:06 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d, Silver, Pro Sat Nav, Logic 7, 6CD, Black Dakota Memory Seats with heating, Adaptive Xenons, Active Steering with Sports steering wheel, Oscillating Seats, Rear Electric Blind, Rear side blinds, Rear airbags, Dark Popular High Gloss, Folding Auto Dimming Mirrors, High Gloss Shadowline,

Dealer in Birmingham UK wanted £600 for oil, filter & brake fluid & I think air filter?

I have an E60 530d 2006

The car is showing low oil & oil service, I think £600 is a rip off, I know some great mechanics, so was going to get the parts from BMW and get them to fit.

What would I need?

Oil Filter (is there more than 1?)
Oil (any recommendations on type?)
Brake Fluid
Air Filter
Old 07-02-2012 | 02:33 AM
Members

Just had mine done saturday morning....bought 2 of these http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1607162748...84.m1497.l2649 and a Guttman oil filter with the sump copper washer included for £10, a oil flush for £4.45 and my local garage charged me £20 to change the oil. £74.50 total.
Old 07-02-2012 | 07:21 AM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

That sounds a bit steep. But it's probably worth asking how it gets to be that expensive. A couple of possibilities:
  • "Oil service" is a minor service that involves more than the oil change. Easy to get outraged at the price if that's what they're quoting for, and you think you're just getting an oil change, which should be about 70 GBP.
  • Doing the brake fluid flush "the right way" (i.e. according to BMW factory instructions, which is what the dealer will do) involves running a program on their GT-1 while they pump in the new fluid. It cycles the ABS and makes sure there are no air bubbles in the DSC. It does take longer than just flushing new brake fluid through the calipers.
That still doesn't justify 600 quid, but you get the idea. Once in a while the dealers get a bad rap when they're obliged to go by the book, and it gets viewed as a rip-off. By all means take it to an independent mechanic; just make sure you know what it is that you're not going to get if you avoid the dealer.
Old 07-04-2012 | 02:46 AM
New Members

Have a look this

http://www.kwik-fit.com/mot-and-service-pricing.asp

most of all use Mobil 1 oil and no harm to give them a ring....
Old 07-04-2012 | 02:24 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: E60 530i

You can't do your own fluid swaps? i mean seriously what is it going to cost $150 USD total and that's me marking it up high.
Oil change with filter using OE fluids costs about $50-$60 USD and a brake fluid cost about $4 USD and you'll need about 3 bottles. Air Filter costs about $30?
I built my own auto brake bleeder for less than $20 and all you have to do is source a cap that fits the master cylinder and open the nipple and close it on each caliper. It's not really that hard. If you don't learn to start getting your hands dirty then enjoy paying for things because that's what you're going to have to do.

Originally Posted by Wolrab
That sounds a bit steep. But it's probably worth asking how it gets to be that expensive. A couple of possibilities:
  • "Oil service" is a minor service that involves more than the oil change. Easy to get outraged at the price if that's what they're quoting for, and you think you're just getting an oil change, which should be about 70 GBP.
  • Doing the brake fluid flush "the right way" (i.e. according to BMW factory instructions, which is what the dealer will do) involves running a program on their GT-1 while they pump in the new fluid. It cycles the ABS and makes sure there are no air bubbles in the DSC. It does take longer than just flushing new brake fluid through the calipers.
That still doesn't justify 600 quid, but you get the idea. Once in a while the dealers get a bad rap when they're obliged to go by the book, and it gets viewed as a rip-off. By all means take it to an independent mechanic; just make sure you know what it is that you're not going to get if you avoid the dealer.

No BMW Authorized dealer runs the GT1 anymore. They're on ISIS. On there is nothing to diagnose or program. Recycling the ABS is done every time the key is turned over to ACC position (#2) I've done many changes on BMW's and have a GT1 setup as well as the new ISIS. INPA even runs through the program but pretty much tells you which calipers to do first.
Attached Thumbnails Oil filter & brake fluid £600 from stealer?-img_0857.jpg  
Old 07-04-2012 | 04:21 PM
Members

My Ride: 545i 2004, SMG, Sport, Nav, Logic-7, Bluetooth phone retrofit

Very few people in the UK do their own maintenance. That's one factor driving up the cost. Thanks for the dealer software update, Achtung - I'm in the middle of trying to install all that stuff right now. It's a bit of a chore.
Old 07-04-2012 | 11:47 PM
Members

Originally Posted by Wolrab
Very few people in the UK do their own maintenance.
I beg to differ.....check out the UK bmw forums.
Old 07-05-2012 | 01:26 AM
Members

My Ride: 2006 530d, Silver, Pro Sat Nav, Logic 7, 6CD, Black Dakota Memory Seats with heating, Adaptive Xenons, Active Steering with Sports steering wheel, Oscillating Seats, Rear Electric Blind, Rear side blinds, Rear airbags, Dark Popular High Gloss, Folding Auto Dimming Mirrors, High Gloss Shadowline,

Mate of mine used to work for BMW & Mercedes has now started up his own garage

Charged me £60

Parts cost £120 for oil, fuel & air filter & brake fluid from BMW Main dealer

Oil I used was Castrol Edge for £95 (8 litres)

Job done for £275 and this guy knows what he's doing and checked out all the other things that were on the BMW service sheet (which I found on this forum)
Old 07-05-2012 | 03:34 AM
KAF
Contributors

My Ride: F11 535i M-Sport,, Silver, Black Leather, LED Adaptive headlights
Model Year: 2015
Engine: N55

Sounds to me as if the Oil Separator is due for replacement at that price. This bumps up the price quite a lot.
Old 07-05-2012 | 03:41 AM
Members

Originally Posted by KAF
Sounds to me as if the Oil Separator is due for replacement at that price. This bumps up the price quite a lot.
I asked what parts were required and all they said was oil filter, fuel filter, air filter, brake fluid & oil

Quick Reply: Oil filter & brake fluid £600 from stealer?