E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oil Fil. Housing Gaskets authenticity?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2016, 06:04 AM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530xi
Default Oil Fil. Housing Gaskets authenticity?

I purchased oil filter housing gasket and coolant gasket from Amazon for about $18/each. The seller claims they are authentic OEM. They came in a padded envelope just loose. They are correctly shaped, and feel and look fine, but i would expect a real BMW part to come in a plastic bag with part number and BMW logo on it. Does anyone have experience in ordering these, and know how they come?

I don't know that anyone would even bother faking these parts, but just want to be sure they are real before i open her up. Thanks!
Old 02-15-2016, 06:45 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

I wouldn't mess with Amazon for such an inexpensive yet painful to replace part. It may or may not be OE. It could be a Chinese knock off. It probably is fine, but I wouldn't use it myself.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:22 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: 550i

if its a label that looks like it came from bmw i would probably consider it. i mean i order from indy shops and when they give me genuine oem parts it comes in a plastic back like it was purchased in bulk with a sticker that has a part number on it.
Old 02-15-2016, 06:29 PM
New Members

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Ride: 2006 530xi

Originally Posted by twh
I wouldn't mess with Amazon for such an inexpensive yet painful to replace part. It may or may not be OE. It could be a Chinese knock off. It probably is fine, but I wouldn't use it myself.
As much as i agree with you, i just want to be done with this dang thing. Amazon is cheaper on many other items, I figured it would work for this.

To twidge: I would love it if it had a label or at least a part number, I've got neither though.

to all: seller says they buy in bulk, so do not have individual bags. They did however offer to exchange for a marked oem bagged part. I promised the company to update this thread when completed.
Old 02-16-2016, 06:53 AM
twh
Members
Senior Members

Received 41 Likes on 38 Posts
My Ride: 2006 BMW 530xi 6MT
Model Year: 2006
Engine: N52

Here's some experiences I have had with Amazon and eBay with spare parts...

Needed new fans in my MacBook Pro. Brought them on Amazon. They came and looked legit. I am in the computer industry and they looked like legit Sunon fans. Year later, needed new fans for daughter's MacBook Pro. Bought again on Amazon. The ones that came didn't look legit. The paint was off, the labels looked odd and had a turned up corner or two. Sent those back. Repaired friend's MacBook Pro -- screen was shattered. Tons of replacement glass sellers on Amazon. I just can't tell if any of it is legit. Ended up ordering from a Mac computer parts wholesaler who was not on Amazon. It cost more and it was legit.

And, what is a counterfeit? The company I worked for found counterfeit computer boards on the market. in the end, we traced them back to the same factory that made our contract boards! The factory ran the line an extra hour and sold them without our knowledge. Is that a real counterfeit? Yes in the economic sense, but no in the performance sense.

What you don't know is if that gasket is the same shape, tolerances, made of the required rubber, etc. If it was an o-ring for the oil filter, I wouldn't care. If it was an easy to get to radiator hose, probably don't care. If it was a hose in the windshield washer system, I don't care. But, your part is a PITA to change and handles the lifeblood of the engine. I wouldn't use it. Go to the dealer and get one. Send that one back.

Bottom line, you have to sort what matters from what doesn't and possible cost savings and decide. I think you are on the wrong side of the curve on this one.
Old 02-16-2016, 09:33 AM
Members

yes, bonafide parts from BMW are contained within a plastic bag, box, or such. i just replaced a thermostat housing gasket. but be prepared to pay for an original part. part #s can be found here---realoem.com
Old 02-16-2016, 01:03 PM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2006 530i, Jet Black, Tan, Premium, Steptronic

I'd order the genuine part from the local dealer. They don't cost much. The savings usually obtained by ordering the parts on-line are normally depleted with the shipping charges on such a small order.