E60 Discussion Anything and everything to do with the E60 5 Series. All are welcome!

Oil and coolant temps

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2005, 11:14 PM
Members

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

I noticed there are no analog guages for oil/water temps on the dash...kinda bummer as I like to see that stuff. Are the temps available in I-drive or something or do we just rely on idiot lights?
Old 02-12-2005, 02:47 AM
Senior Members

There is a hidden cluster (not I Drive) menu that will give you the core temperature. It's however not that user friendly and there is an unlock sequence that you have to go through each time you start the car before you can view this hidden menu.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My Ride: G30 M550i
Model Year: 2018

It would be great if BMW would add a "vital statistics" screen within iDrive somewhere. How difficult can it be? All of the statistics are already being monitored with various sensors, etc.

Just give us a screen of virtual gauges that would include coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, etc. (Remember, the variable white lines on the tach are not a temperature gauge as many people believe...) Also, why do we even have the silly instant MPG vacuum gauge? This isn't 1970 anymore. What a useless thing that is! I can't believe they're putting that on these cars!!

Please BMW, why not add this to the software? I doubt it would introduce any bugs, etc. since it's more or less a "read only" informational screen.
Old 02-12-2005, 06:38 AM
Senior Members

Well said Rudy, and while they are about it what about telling us which runflat has the puncture instead of having to run around with a guage to find out!!
Old 02-12-2005, 06:52 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 2001 BMW330ci, Steel Gray, Black leather, Steptronic, PP, SP, PDC, Heated seats, Xenon head lights, HK, 6 disk changer, OEM alarm, OEM clears,Iice white fog lights ,Universal trasnciver, 17 inch Michelin Pilot Sport Tires 2005 530i Titanium Gray,Black leather, Nav.,HUD,PP,CWP,SP,PDC,Xenon lights,Steptronic,Logic 7 sound system,,Fold down read seats,Power shades ON ORDER

RUDY,"Remember,the variable white lines on the tach are not a temperature guage as many people believe".What is it?? Please explain.
vern
Old 02-12-2005, 11:33 AM
Senior Members

My Ride: 530i, Silver Grey, Black Dakota, Steptronic, Premium, PDC, Logic7

I think they are like the bottom half of a temperature guage in that they tell you when the car is cold and has reached operating temperature but do not give any information about when the car is running hot.
Old 02-12-2005, 12:07 PM
Contributors

My Ride: -04 530D

Originally Posted by Rudy' date='Feb 12 2005, 06:13 PM
It would be great if BMW would add a "vital statistics" screen within iDrive somewhere.? How difficult can it be?? All of the statistics are already being monitored with various sensors, etc.?

Just give us a screen of virtual gauges that would include coolant temp, oil temp, oil pressure, battery voltage, etc.? (Remember, the variable white lines on the tach are not a temperature gauge as many people believe...)? Also, why do we even have the silly instant MPG vacuum gauge?? This isn't 1970 anymore.? What a useless thing that is!? I can't believe they're putting that on these cars!!

Please BMW, why not add this to the software?? I doubt it would introduce any bugs, etc. since it's more or less a "read only" informational screen.
[snapback]89397[/snapback]
Agree You Rudy. I Have tried OBD (On Board Diagnostics) and I have laptop with program for virtual gauges and it works perfectly, so it's only "little" programing.

It's also possible to get more information throuhg that OBD. Also recording log to computer is possible.

But that consumption meter is not "underpressure" gauge. It's calculated value from different measurements from engine.

Skaffa
Old 02-12-2005, 09:12 PM
Contributors

Right-on!
Is the cliche too old?
Anyway, most of the time I am driving, the useless menu on the iDrive is staring me in the face. If you need the iDrive menu, you can hit the menu button already in plain sight and reach. Why not have such dynamic diagnostic data displayed there? It's an extension of the dash anyway. Call it the DDDD.

Seriously.
Old 02-13-2005, 12:05 AM
Members

My Ride: '05 545 Sport Week 9

Originally Posted by sg530' date='Feb 12 2005, 11:12 PM
Right-on!?
Is the cliche too old??
Anyway, most of the time I am driving, the useless menu on the iDrive is staring me in the face. If you need the iDrive menu, you can hit the menu button already in plain sight and reach. Why not have such dynamic diagnostic data displayed there? It's an extension of the dash anyway. Call it the DDDD.
? ?
Seriously.
[snapback]89620[/snapback]
That would be great! My guess is its the dealers that tell BMW not to put stuff like that on the cars and that are behind the 'idiot' water temp guage in many models that is locked in the center and doesn't move. Too many customers apparently complained to their dealer of why is their temp guage reading higher or lower than before, etc. So they decided to just lock the guage in the middle so they don't have to hear the complaints and diagnose the car.
Old 02-13-2005, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by vern' date='Feb 12 2005, 10:52 AM
RUDY,"Remember,the variable white lines on the tach are not a temperature guage as many people believe".What is it?? Please explain.
? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? ? vern
[snapback]89406[/snapback]
During warm up the the car(at least a steptronic) will not rev beyond the first white line.

Quick Reply: Oil and coolant temps